Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #781
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
You're killing me here, jeep44!
There's plenty more you haven't seen yet.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #782
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
Can't let this thread slip too far back Here's a Mossberg 44US (a), from about 1946, with a Mossberg M4 scope.

I really like the looks of that one!

How much?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #783
jeep44
junk collector

I paid about $200 for that one last year some time-I caught an old man walking into a gunshow with it on his shoulder, with a 'for sale' sign on it. He had owned it since new, but had unfortunately drilled and tapped a few holes on the other side of the receiver to mount a cheap Weaver scope with a non-Mossberg mount. That certainly didn't enhance the collector value of it, but anyway, these 44US rifles are climbing in value-especially the wartime "US Property" marked ones.I see most 44US Mossbergs going for over $300 now. Mossberg continued to make this model of rifle for about 5 years after WW2, giving each sucessive slight modification the suffixes (a),(b),(c), and (d). They were obviously finished to a much higher standard than the wartime ones,too.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #784
BigSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSingle View Post

Shares a dual sided case with a Baby Eagle 9mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Is this gun particular about ammo? If I run anything but CCI mini mags through my mark one its stove pipe city.
Not really but it depends on the box.
It loves CCI and will shoot holes in the previous shots holes.
I normally shoot wally worlds 550ct brick cheap crap. Yes it is cheap and yes it is dirty but has only "no fired" maybe 5 times in over 3000 rounds. Not bad in my opinion with cheap ammo.

EDIT: I do clean after each box or whenever I think it needs it. Not a big fan of over cleaning, but if it is getting sticky it needs to be cleaned.. And anyone who has one knows they are a BEEP BEEP BEEP to get apart and back together. After a couple years of doing it I can, but it's still a bitch. My Eagle takes less time to tear down clean and reassemble than this takes to tear down...

Also many have asked about the front site... It is a slip over site designed for .177 air rifles that I LIGHTLY glued in place.
Yes it is unbelievably accurate and yes the extra long insert will glow bright with the light of even one star or alarm clock or any other available light.
hands down the best $1.50 I have ever spent in my life. You won't even see the MKIII and that front site will be glowing away...

Our country was founded by radicals with guns. The day that ideal dies our country dies with it.
BigSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #785
thouk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I'm a cheapie

Hey Ya'll,
I posted a picture of my Beretta Neos earlier in the thread. Here she is again:

Like the title says I am a cheapie. I bought a case of the Blazers at Palmetto State Armory. The rounds came out to be 3.2 cents per round. That compares to 3.7 cents per round for Remington Goldies. I have not had a single failure to fire with any of the cheap stuff that I shoot. My shooting buddy has a S&W 22a. I have seen him have so many failure to fires. I like to load them up in my Neos and see if they do fire. Most times they do but a few won't fire even in my Neos. We are trying to go to the Appleseed event in May in the Upstate of S.c.. I am going to use the Carbine kit for my rifle and use my Pop's Ruger 10/22 as the backup rifle. I am going their to learn how to better my shooting skills and not to win. I will probably do that also but I don't want my buddy to know that. Well that is all that I have to say. Be safe, Tony

May God look upon you as you ride with Jesus with the Holy Spirit in your heart.
thouk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 AM   #786
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
I've been putting some time in on this guy. Not finished yet, but everything is fitted, trigger guard, barrel floated, 90% sanded, etc.

The high mount rings are probably going to be changed out for lower ones, but they're nice for "heads up", in off hand. Not sure how I want to set this rifle up.

I was thinking about installing a handrail, but I'll probably just go with a bi-pod on a swivel stud.

Savage 93 .17 HMR

[IMG][/IMG]

Where'd the stock come from? I've been eyeing one from Richards Microfit to wrap around my Savage 93.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #787
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Where'd the stock come from? I've been eyeing one from Richards Microfit to wrap around my Savage 93.
It's a Richards Microfit Thumbhole Target. I had to order a trigger guard from Savage, as the stock rifle came with a molded plastic, POS stock, with a molded guard. I bought the cheap version of the 9317, because I didn't like Savage's laminated stock on the upgraded rifle, figuring I'd re-stock it if I liked the rifle.

I don't like the rifle. I love it!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #788
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
It's a Richards Microfit Thumbhole Target. I had to order a trigger guard from Savage, as the stock rifle came with a molded plastic, POS stock, with a molded guard. I bought the cheap version of the 9317, because I didn't like Savage's laminated stock on the upgraded rifle, figuring I'd re-stock it if I liked the rifle.

I don't like the rifle. I love it!
Sounds a lot like mine, SS, synthetic POS stock. It's 22WMR, pre Accu-Trigger. What's your opinion of the new stock? Did the action drop right in, or was there a lot of inletting to be done? Will you be bedding the action?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #789
jeep44
junk collector

Here's another, but not a Mossberg this time-it's a "US Property" Harrington and Richardson M12 single-shot .22 target rifle. This photo just doesn't convey the massive proportions of this-it really is like putting a 4x4 up to your shoulder

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #790
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,546
The boy just got a ~1961 Remington 514 single shot. I grew up shooting Remingtons and as soon as I looked down those classic sights at the gun show I was hooked.

Range tomorrow

Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #791
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Sounds a lot like mine, SS, synthetic POS stock. It's 22WMR, pre Accu-Trigger. What's your opinion of the new stock? Did the action drop right in, or was there a lot of inletting to be done? Will you be bedding the action?
I had to do some minor fitting, the biggest was inletting the stock for the triger guard. As delivered, the stock was totally flat on the bottom. The trigger guard had to be recessed so it fit flush. A little careful work with a Dremel took care of it. When I dropped the action in the stock, the barrel was fully floated! No barrel channel scraping req'd. I felt the action to stock fit was reasonably snug, so starting out, I'm not going to bother using any bedding material. I question the value of bedding such a low recoiling rifle anyway, as with proper torque, the action shouldn't move in the stock. My Anschutz 1413 doesn't have any bedding. I figured I give it a try at the range and then decide. I also had to remove some material from the right side just above the trigger guard as my trigger finger was dragging on the stock. I did this with a rat-tailed and half-moon file.

One disadvantage of this particular stock is that the bolt cannot be removed without removing the action from the stock! The back of the bolt contacts the high cheekpiece well before it clears the receiver. I could have cut down the cheekpiece to allow for clearance, but I didn't want to butcher the stock to that degree.

I can clean it through the muzzle and brush off the bolt face once in a while. I don't clean rim fires but once or twice a year anyway, so taking it out of the stock is no biggie. You'll need an inch-lb. torque wrench to put it back together to maintain consistency, though.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #792
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
The boy just got a ~1961 Remington 514 single shot. I grew up shooting Remingtons and as soon as I looked down those classic sights at the gun show I was hooked.

Range tomorrow

Gonna be a great day
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #793
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
Here's another, but not a Mossberg this time-it's a "US Property" Harrington and Richardson M12 single-shot .22 target rifle. This photo just doesn't convey the massive proportions of this-it really is like putting a 4x4 up to your shoulder

That's a beast, for sure. Is that an old Redfield Olympic rear sight or an old Lyman? It also looks like you've got a pair of scope mount blocks for a Unertl type scope on there.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #794
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post

Range tomorrow

That is a fine rifle. He looks proud as he should be. Please dont take this wrong it is just an honest question. Is a range the only place you can shoot?
I'm not even talking hunting really but just walking in the woods and shooting pine cones or making an old can jump up by shooting just underneath it. Thats what I always liked about a .22 and to be honest I think my kids would be bored with paper.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #795
jeep44
junk collector

Stromdog-that's a Redfield 'Olympic' rear sight. It should be a 'Palma' rear sight to be factory correct, but this one has been modified-there's a Freeland adjustable buttplate on it,too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: