ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #1381
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Just got this for my son, who is left eye dominant. Savage Mark II GLY - youth length, left-handed action. I've ordered an aperture rear sight from Tech-Sights.
That's pretty cool!

I had to figure out for myself that I was left-eye dominant at an early age, and then I still had to shoot right-handed guns.

Everyone wondered why a right-handed kid was shooting long guns left-handed...
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #1382
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,583
Nylon 66 question

I went to 2 different gun shops today. First one had a 66 with the black stock, chrome receiver and tube magazine. Second shop had one with brown stock, black receiver (I think) and a box magazine. There was a significant price difference between the two. Is the box magazine version a different model? Is the black and chrome more rare?

*Edit* Maybe a Nylon 77? Are they collectable? Is $250 a good price?
__________________
He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.
A7X

fyrfytr screwed with this post 12-29-2011 at 08:18 PM
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #1383
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
I went to 2 different gun shops today. First one had a 66 with the black stock, chrome receiver and tube magazine. Second shop had one with brown stock, black receiver (I think) and a box magazine. There was a significant price difference between the two. Is the box magazine version a different model? Is the black and chrome more rare?

*Edit* Maybe a Nylon 77? Are they collectable? Is $250 a good price?
77's dont seem to have the following that the 66 does. When looking at a 66 rifle look for the remington name or (IIRC) CRC....after remington parted ways with DuPont remington stopped making the 66 and sold all the tooling to a company in Brazil. It will also say made in Brazil on the rifle somewhere....I just don't remember where. These are fine rifles just be sure not to pay remington 66 prices for them. I think that remington are the only ones that made the chrome and black with white dimonds....It is called Apache Black. Minty ones go for a little less then $500 around here....and by minty I mean it still has the Lifetime waranty sticker on the stock. Good shooters around $300 and the brazil made ones in good shape top out around $300. Green is the hardest to find color and very few are made. This is one of the best selling .22 rifles made by remington, and in testing they are to have put a million rounds through some of them. When I took mine out last week I was hitting 6" plates at 50 yards no problem at all. Pretty good for me....they are a litttle different to take down, there is a video put out by nylonrifles.com that shows how to take it down and put it back together...not hard just a little different.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #1384
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
77's dont seem to have the following that the 66 does. When looking at a 66 rifle look for the remington name or (IIRC) CRC....after remington parted ways with DuPont remington stopped making the 66 and sold all the tooling to a company in Brazil. It will also say made in Brazil on the rifle somewhere....I just don't remember where. These are fine rifles just be sure not to pay remington 66 prices for them. I think that remington are the only ones that made the chrome and black with white dimonds....It is called Apache Black. Minty ones go for a little less then $500 around here....and by minty I mean it still has the Lifetime waranty sticker on the stock. Good shooters around $300 and the brazil made ones in good shape top out around $300. Green is the hardest to find color and very few are made. This is one of the best selling .22 rifles made by remington, and in testing they are to have put a million rounds through some of them. When I took mine out last week I was hitting 6" plates at 50 yards no problem at all. Pretty good for me....they are a litttle different to take down, there is a video put out by nylonrifles.com that shows how to take it down and put it back together...not hard just a little different.
Thanks for the info. The Apache Black was in excellent condition, conservatively 90-95%, and they were asking $400. I didn't try to haggle, I wasn't sure if that was even a good starting point. The brown 77 was not as nice as the 66, but still in very good shape, priced at $250.
__________________
He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.
A7X
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #1385
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Thanks for the info. The Apache Black was in excellent condition, conservatively 90-95%, and they were asking $400. I didn't try to haggle, I wasn't sure if that was even a good starting point. The brown 77 was not as nice as the 66, but still in very good shape, priced at $250.
I posted a pic of the 77 a couple posts ago and I don't like having a mag sticking out of the bottom. Just doesn't look as clean. I'd get the 66.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 AM   #1386
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I posted a pic of the 77 a couple posts ago and I don't like having a mag sticking out of the bottom. Just doesn't look as clean. I'd get the 66.
Woops, I should have gone back a page or two. My questions were already answered.

I agree, the 66 is a much better look. Have to check bank account for sufficient funds...

I think I'll offer $350 and see if they'll bite.
__________________
He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.
A7X
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #1387
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Woops, I should have gone back a page or two. My questions were already answered.

I agree, the 66 is a much better look. Have to check bank account for sufficient funds...

I think I'll offer $350 and see if they'll bite.
I don't know if this works or not so take with a grain of salt....like most internet things. If you have light scratches on the plastic I have been told that those headlight buffing kits work great at taking the light scratches out of the stocks. I am going to try it on mine.

Other things people have told me is polishing compound (nothing too harsh) and such will do wonders for scratches on the stocks.

$400 is in the right ball park....be sure to check for the remington name....that alone will make all the difference....even many dealers do not know the difference.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #1388
gazoo
Wandering
 
gazoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 357
32 Rimfire Stevens

A few pics of my dad's J. Stevens model 1915 .32 rimfire. Single shot with an octagon barrel. Been in the family a while, and not quite pristine, but IMO still a cool weapon.

Back in the day, we used it to shoot pigs for butchering Hasn't been shot in a few years, mainly because ammo is hard to come by and pricey!










gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #1389
lewismedlock
.
 
lewismedlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bow and Arrow OK.
Oddometer: 12,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Forget whose brand that was, Montgomery Ward, Sears?

Who made it for them?
It looks exactly like my Remington.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #1390
Toadady
Push'n parts
 
Toadady's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Missouri
Oddometer: 3,603
ahh yes the joys of bulk ammoe, this was from my cmmg ar15 .22 conversion, it went BANG really loud, glad i wear hearing protection

__________________
Get to work, millions on welfare are depending on you
Toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #1391
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazoo View Post
A few pics of my dad's J. Stevens model 1915 .32 rimfire. Single shot with an octagon barrel. Been in the family a while, and not quite pristine, but IMO still a cool weapon.

Back in the day, we used it to shoot pigs for butchering Hasn't been shot in a few years, mainly because ammo is hard to come by and pricey!



Yeah, another Stevens fan. These are great shooting rifles. This one's a 22lr.

LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #1392
JeffS77
cheap bastard
 
JeffS77's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Riverside , CA
Oddometer: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
It looks exactly like my Remington.
Yes this gun looks very similar to the 22 pump Remington made modeled after the 870....but they are not the same.

I am actually sitting in the parking lot of the range right now waiting for them to open so I can finally fire this thing.

Getting my hunting license next week and gonna try to go get some cotton tail soon at my uncles ranch before the season is over.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #1393
JeffS77
cheap bastard
 
JeffS77's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Riverside , CA
Oddometer: 3,174
Put 300 lr and 50 short rounds threw the JC Higgins pump and it worked great...a fun little gun for sure..the shorts where a crack up....couldnt even hear them with hearing protection on. I almost thought the first one was a fail to fire

also noticed it has a 5/16 dove tail...not a standard 3/8 ...may just drill and tap it myself for a rail..but a little concerned with it being aluminum .

also got to shoot a few hundred round threw one of these brand new.



GSG .22 1911 .... a really nice little gun...good weight and full size..feels very solid and is very easy to shoot I really enjoyed it


and put about 10 rounds threw one of these..forgot my brother had one when he pulled it out ..its a pretty good hoot to shoot out to about 10 feet and remember watch the hands with this thing it shoots soooo much crap out of the cylinder front and rear it is crazy


JeffS77 screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 06:51 PM
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #1394
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer
 
NDEBT's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Poteau Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadady View Post
ahh yes the joys of bulk ammoe, this was from my cmmg ar15 .22 conversion, it went BANG really loud, glad i wear hearing protection

I've shot .22 bulk most my whole life and have never seen that. I would guess the gun was the fault. in a good gun it can only go out with a .22 You need to check that conversion.
__________________
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

NDEBT screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 09:01 PM
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #1395
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer
 
Achtung's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Waltham MA! aka Red Sox Nation
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadady View Post
ahh yes the joys of bulk ammoe, this was from my cmmg ar15 .22 conversion, it went BANG really loud, glad i wear hearing protection

I'm sorry what are we looking at here?
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014