Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
CaptRick OP
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 5,327
Spot Rant

So I have had a SPOT device ever since they hit the market, had all 3 generations and my Spot 3 is only 6 months old but Im moving over to the Delorme Inreach. Why you may ask? Its not because the SPOT has failed me it is because of SPOTs customer service. I am pissed off at SPOT and their last rebate program. I bought the SPOT 3 in Dec 2014, sent in the rebate paper work for a $150.00 rebate. Granted the form says it will take 8-16 weeks to get the rebate. Ok I waited, and waited and waited......I am now at 25 weeks and still no rebate. I have spoke with 4 different SPOT service reps at least 8 times and the rebate company countless times. Every time it is a new line of BS being spouted by both of the companies reps. SPOT has issued me $100.00 in credit to my account to try and make up for the BS rebate company, but the last call was the last straw. Every time I have spoken with a rep from SPOT they tell me they are working on it and they have passed it on to a supervisor who will contact me within 24 hours with an update. I have never heard back from a supervisor at SPOT. This is after being told by 4 different reps they have moved my issue up to a supervisor and they will definitely contact me within 24 hours. All the SPOT reps promise they will make good on the rebate even if it means SPOT has to cut me a check for the rebate. Last night I was told I should get the rebate around June 25th! I sent in the rebate form in Dec 2014. I am tired of being jerked around by SPOT and their rebate company. Its not about the money its the terrible customer service that has me pissed off. So Goodbye SPOT and Hello Delorme InReach. If I ever see the $150.00 from SPOT I will put it towards the InReach. I will now make it my mission to badmouth SPOT's customer service every chance I get, hence this post. Im trying to start a movement so if your dumping your SPOT tell them CaptRick recommended you to do so. Lets see If I can get SPOT as pissed off at me as I am at them! Anyone want to buy a SPOT 3 cheap????
Old 06-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.

Oddometer: 323
I'm so disappointed in SPOT that I won't even sell mine to anyone. Tracks never has worked, their CS hours are bankers hours so I'm not going to mess with it. When my year is up it'll meet the round-file or go to some other gambler for the cost of shipping.
HAYVIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 592
Have the delorme myself, since January. Been very happy with it and the options it provides.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,367
I moved to an InReach last fall for the two way communication when I went into Mexico.
When I made a mistake and allowed my phone to get swiped, it was awesome to communicate with. This alone should sway any doubt which service and unit to use. Yes the units are more expensive, but with the more flexible plans make up for getting a cheaper device.
As far as the port customer service, in this day and age, if one doesn't excel, they will fall by the wayside. I don't think a product or service will last long with this level of business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Love my Delorme.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,601
Run spot, run. Jump spot jump. Come on spot get up, its charge time. Dang ole spot has got fat and old.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
fayax
Banned

Oddometer: 102
Which model did you get?
I looked at the site : http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/ and read a bit but wanted to know what the people are using first hand here.
fayax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,785
This last weekend when my bike broke down on the Dino ride, on the Bench Road 50 miles from anywhere, the Delorme came to the rescue. One of the riders had it and I sent a text to my son to come get me. Gave specifics, no pre programmed messages, where I was, what to bring.
Delorme will be getting ordered as soon as I pay for bike repairs!
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,443
I have been using Delorme products for 15 years or more , Topo , Streets , PN Series and now have had an InReach for 3 years , excellent products and support everytime . I love connecting the Inreach to my Iphone or Ipad for excellent Topo mapping .
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 2,038
I'll be switching to the InReach when my current contract expires. Actually about a month earlier so I don't get hit with auto-renew crap.

And I'll mention the Capt...

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 3,027
Can you InReach folks comment on the rate of message errors? Weekend before last, 2 of 3 SPOT messages didn't go through for me.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
Can you InReach folks comment on the rate of message errors? Weekend before last, 2 of 3 SPOT messages didn't go through for me.
I have never had a message fail on my InReach Mate .Sometimes in New Foundland they would sit for awhile with the spiny thing going before they went but you always hear it when it goes , makes a pretty loud noise to confirm sending .
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .

shearboy2004 screwed with this post 06-02-2015 at 07:43 PM
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post

Mine has never failed to send or receive any messages, even from Mexico.
I had to rely on it, and it excelled. The shared map my wife and some of my buddies looked at tracking my progress worked flawlessly.
This two way tracker is the future, if a rider really wants peace of mind traveling knowing the device works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
Unstable Rider
Moto Fotografist

Oddometer: 2,668
I had Spot once upon a time as well. No problem ever, with the device, a signal, etc., it worked as it should, I liked it.

The customer service, etc., and their auto-renew policy hacked me off. They are in an odd "spot"....

Not often you find a product that works as it should, but you can't stand the people behind it or their policy of line their pockets at the cost of the customer going ELSEWHERE.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #15
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable rider View Post
i had spot once upon a time as well. No problem ever, with the device, a signal, etc., it worked as it should, i liked it.

The customer service, etc., and their auto-renew policy hacked me off. They are in an odd "spot"....

not often you find a product that works as it should, but you can't stand the people behind it or their policy of line their pockets at the cost of the customer going elsewhere.
spot =comcast