ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #31
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
I had a tough time trying to decide between the fisherman or sailor package, so I figured I'd see all the features in the master mariner package and see which ones I'd need based on real world usage rather than check marks on the website chart.

I got a quick trip up to austin tomorrow in my jeep to pick up an older 82 goldwing and will give all this a tryout. I went to radio shack and got a maxell stereo fm transmitter but already know I don't like it as it takes 3 AAA batteries that I'll have to keep replacing. it was all there was and I'll have to find something better ......
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #32
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
I have the master mariner package right now...but keeping a subscription the entire year is tough to justify.
You are entitled to turn it off (for as long as you wish) and on again once/year, without a reactivation charge or any other charges. In fact, during the time you shut it off, they still provide you with some basic XM data services, so it works out pretty well.

I hear you though, $50/mo. is hefty. But IMO, if it saves you from hitting some nasty shit even once/mo., it's well worth it, if you do significant amounts of long-distance riding/touring.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #33
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
You are entitled to turn it off (for as long as you wish) and on again once/year, without a reactivation charge or any other charges. In fact, during the time you shut it off, they still provide you with some basic XM data services, so it works out pretty well.

I hear you though, $50/mo. is hefty. But IMO, if it saves you from hitting some nasty shit even once/mo., it's well worth it, if you do significant amounts of long-distance riding/touring.
Yeah, I did that last year and changed it to what they call "End of Season". I think I waited till about March to turn it back on this year.

If it was about $20/month including all the storm tracks and stuff you get in the $50 package, I wouldn't even think of turning it off. But as it is, $50/month = $600/yr. Its nice to have and does pay off, but still something you think about paying for each month. I've got a 2 week trip my wife and I are doing going out to the West Coast starting next week, but once we come back from there I'll probably at the minimum drop it down to one of the $30 packages.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #34
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Can the Marine maps be removed from the 478's internal memory? If so and if you do, can you upload a new map provided there is enough memory or would you still have to use a memory card for the new map?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #35
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
Nexrad weather radar is cool as hell!

I just started using the nextrad weather radar on my garmin 478 and just love it! Upstate NY is pretty wet this summer season and the 478 with the weather feature is getting a real workout! My mom is always obsessed with what the weatherman is gonna say, but now it's instant info for her. I can see basically what's gonna happen for the next few hours, then I just have to forcast (guess) what the green patches are gonna do as they approach for later on in the day. I'm keeping the 478 in the house since I'm not traveling right now and it's on 24/7 . It's nice to look at right before we're wanting to go out in the boat .... man this technology is great! someday everyone will have this at their fingertips and the weatherman will be history! I got the full package to start out with to figure out which features I need or not, then I'll step down to the 30 bucks a month plan ....... Nexrad, man that's cool!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #36
_DreamRider_
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I am new to gps, all I have used is the one in my car. I just bought the 478, and I think I might have bought one too advanced for my first one, and I just don't have the patience to spend countless hours reading through forums to just understand the basics. Before buying I tried calling Garmin with a few pre-sales questions and they said there was a 30 minute wait. This alone made me not want to purchase it, but I didnt see an equivalent from any other brands. I have never purchased anything where there was a 30 minute wait just for a sales question. Anyways, here is what I dont understand.

I started by installing the Mapsource, then connected the unit, I search the maps, and the roads in my area I know are not there, just the main highways, lil discouraging, then I go to Utilities>>Unlock Map, thinking I have to unlock the map because all the backroads are not showing, and I get an error message "cannot start unlock map wizard", discouraging again.

So, I try to transfer data from gps unit to mapsource on pc, using the software and receive a message that the gps unit does not have a data card, so I cannot transfer. I cant find a card on the gps, check the manual, and it shows where a slot is for a spare one, but not the main one, feel stupid. Also, there is nothing in the manual that shows anything about creating routes on your PC and transferring to the GPS, discouraging again.

Would it be asking too much to just open some map software, click the roads you want to ride, create a route and transfer to gps? I am planning a trip, TAT, end of August, and its taking a lot of time, getting things ready and I just dont have the time to sit and spend hours trying to learn just basic stuff on a gps.

I want to look at maps on my pc, create routes, and transfer to the gps, don't I need City Navigator? Do I have to purchase this separately?? I cant believe a $600 GPS would not come with the capability to create routes on your pc.

I bought the 478, over the zumo 550, 660, mainly for 2 reasons, I would like to be able to track, and I would like to be able to get gps routes from others that might be routes that are not on roads that are on the map, I thought the 550/660 wouldnt be able to handle this. I alos prefer the buttons over the touchscreen.

In planning the TAT, I have to spend many hours transferring routes from paper maps to gps (I have no idea why I cant just buy the gps files), theres no way I could do this in Mapsource, I only see the main highways, so is my solution to just buy City Navigator, would this take care of my problem? or should I just send this unit back and get the zumo that comes with the software for my pc, and seems to have a much less learning curve.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
_DreamRider_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #37
_DreamRider_
Gnarly Adventurer

I am new to gps, all I have used is the one in my car. I just bought the 478, and I think I might have bought one too advanced for my first one, and I just don't have the patience to spend countless hours reading through forums to just understand the basics. Before buying I tried calling Garmin with a few pre-sales questions and they said there was a 30 minute wait. This alone made me not want to purchase it, but I didnt see an equivalent from any other brands. I have never purchased anything where there was a 30 minute wait just for a sales question. Anyways, here is what I dont understand.

I started by installing the Mapsource, then connected the unit, I search the maps, and the roads in my area I know are not there, just the main highways, lil discouraging, then I go to Utilities>>Unlock Map, thinking I have to unlock the map because all the backroads are not showing, and I get an error message "cannot start unlock map wizard", discouraging again.

So, I try to transfer data from gps unit to mapsource on pc, using the software and receive a message that the gps unit does not have a data card, so I cannot transfer. I cant find a card on the gps, check the manual, and it shows where a slot is for a spare one, but not the main one, feel stupid. Also, there is nothing in the manual that shows anything about creating routes on your PC and transferring to the GPS, discouraging again.

Would it be asking too much to just open some map software, click the roads you want to ride, create a route and transfer to gps? I am planning a trip, TAT, end of August, and its taking a lot of time, getting things ready and I just dont have the time to sit and spend hours trying to learn just basic stuff on a gps.

I want to look at maps on my pc, create routes, and transfer to the gps, don't I need City Navigator? Do I have to purchase this separately?? I cant believe a $600 GPS would not come with the capability to create routes on your pc.

I bought the 478, over the zumo 550, 660, mainly for 2 reasons, I would like to be able to track, and I would like to be able to get gps routes from others that might be routes that are not on roads that are on the map, I thought the 550/660 wouldnt be able to handle this. I alos prefer the buttons over the touchscreen.

In planning the TAT, I have to spend many hours transferring routes from paper maps to gps (I have no idea why I cant just buy the gps files), theres no way I could do this in Mapsource, I only see the main highways, so is my solution to just buy City Navigator, would this take care of my problem? or should I just send this unit back and get the zumo that comes with the software for my pc, and seems to have a much less learning curve.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #38
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,721
OK, you need to calm down.

You need a City Navigator NT DVD to get the maps on your computer. I think I've heard that you can just ask Garmin and they will send you one for free since you already paid for the maps which are pre-installed on your GPS (yes it's ridiculous not to just include it). You will then have to go through the unlock deal. It's been a long time since I've bought any maps so I'm not sure how it all works these days.

You shouldn't need a data card unless you are loading additional maps to the unit, like Topo.

If you have the maps on the computer you certainly can "open some map software, click the roads you want to ride, create a route and transfer to gps", I do it all of the time. You didn't give yourself much time to figure it out before your trip.

From what I understand, the guy who came up with the TAT doesn't want to put himself out of business by selling easily copied/shared GPS files of the route.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #39
ckgdrums
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DreamRider_

You get a free CNNT2010 download from Garmin with the purchase of your new 478. Register your gps with them, and IIRC, you should get an e-mail with a link to download your new map. Then follow the directions for install on your 478 and PC and you should be good to go.

There may be something I'm missing about your map download, but that's what I can recall from memory.

Good Luck
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #40
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

DreamRider, you have a fine GPS there and yes a little bit of a learning curve, but most of what you are experiencing right now is just some basic annoyances getting your GPS and your software on your PC synched. You would have the same learning curve with Mapsource even if it was the Zumo you bought.

and I can tell you from experience, the 478 is one of the best GPS's to have for doing the TAT.

There are several good threads here on ADV that explain all the things you need to know about navigating around Mapsource, routing tools, waypoint tools, drawing tracks, loading routes, etc. Go spend some time reading them, and it will greatly help and much better then reading the manual or talking to a Garmin Sales Rep.

First off, what disk did you use to install MapSource on your PC? Was it a particular version of City Navigator like City Nav V8 NT or was it called something like "Trip and Waypoint" manager? If it was City Nav, then you should be on your way to having the detailed maps on your PC once you unlock them. If it was just something like Trip and Waypoint Mgr, then you don't have any detailed maps on your PC yet. The first thing you need to grasp is that MapSource is just the "gui" part of the interface that allows you to communicate with your GPS. Other then the basemap of interstates and highways, it really includes no "detailed" maps. Mapsource is the part of the program that allows you to send/receive data like waypoints, routes, & tracks between your PC and your GPS.

Now on to memory. The 478 comes preloaded with the entire US on internal memory. It does have a data card slot which uses Garmin's proprietary memory cards where you could load additional maps like Topo, but its not necessary. Most likely your GPS came with City Nav v8 pre-installed on its internal memory and its already unlocked for your GPS. Now here's the tricky part, in order to show the detailed maps on your PC that you have on your GPS, you have to have the DVD to install the "City Nav v8" data source inside Mapsource. You can't just copy the maps from the GPS. If you got the actual DVD with City Nav v8 on it, you then have those same maps on your PC if you installed them right, you just need to unlock them. You only need a unique unlock code for your GPS which it already has. Your PC can use the same unlock code as many times as it wants. There is a way to get the unlock code from the GPS using Mapsource.

City Navigator v2010 NT is the latest version of City Nav available for your 478. As posted above, if you bought this 478 new or refurbished, you should be eligible for a free upgrade to 2010 when you register your GPS on Garmin's site. This is the "data" source for your GPS and also the same datasource your MapSource on your PC needs to show detailed roads. You can load several data sources on your PC and switch between them inside MapSource. I have like 8 data sources ranging from topo, to roads & recreation, to Metroguide, to several versions of City Nav. I only have to open MapSource once, and then I can use the drop down box to switch between them. Now keep in mind, your GPS will only have 1 basic data source loaded on its internal memory at any given time. It probably has City Nav V8 right now, but as mentioned, you could upgrade it to 2010. If you wanted to use other data sources like Topo or the older Roads & Recreation, etc, those would need to be loaded onto a separate memory card you would need to buy. BTW, those data sources don't require unlocking, so you don't have to go through all that. Their map data is much older, but it also shows much more data off road which the city nav stuff lacks.

If you didn't get a DVD with your GPS, then getting the maps to your PC might be difficult unless you could get a hold of that particular DVD with the same exact version of City Nav. However, if you are offered a free upgrade by Garmin to move up to City Nav 2010 NT, then by all means, take that. You'll have 2 options to either download it from their site which will update your GPS (and I think your PC too) or order the DVD.

I can't recall if the online update updates your PC also, but if it does, that is probably the cheapest and quickest option, although some people like to have the DVD on hand in case they want to load the City Nav data source on several PC's which is just fine. As I said, only the GPS requires one unique unlock code. You can use that same code on any PC as many times as you want as it doesn't have any checksum included in it.

Once you get your PC and GPS supporting the same map data source, then you are well on your way to be able to learn how to use this GPS and set yourself up for the TAT.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 07-22-2009 at 07:55 AM
Old 07-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #41
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

And now some hints about using your 478 for the TAT.

I'm assuming you've already purchased the maps from SAM. Its a touchy subject here as far as sharing the GPS tracks for the TAT, but if you prove you've spent the money for the maps for what ever part of the TAT you are doing, I'm sure you can find people to share their tracks with you since you bought the maps. However, from experience, I can tell you that sitting down and plotting out the tracks yourself is well worth your time. You learn a lot about the TAT just from reading the roll charts and following the maps.

Most people find that plotting "tracks" to follow on the TAT is much more beneficial then "routes". A track is just basically a "bread crumb trail" you are following on the GPS. You won't get any turn by turn directions, but its easy to follow it on the screen. You can actually do both and is what I did. I liked having the turn by turn directions routes give you, but I always a track as a backup just incase the route did something weird. The reason being is that routes always have to follow roads, but the tracks don't. I think for the most part, the Eastern TAT, you won't have any problems following roads that exist in Mapsource, but out West, it gets really interesting I've heard. I've done from Jellico, TN to the OK border myself.

Your 478 will support 15 saved tracks of 700 pts each along with its active log of 10,000 pts. It will also support about 50 routes with a certain number of waypoints. (can't recall off my head). Also it will support numerous "via" points inside a route which do differ from waypoints. Learn the difference.

You need to spend some time learning how to force MapSource to route the roads you want by inserting via points in strategic places and using Waypoints for important points of interest.

A good program to add to your PC is called GPSbabel. It will convert routes to tracks and vice versa, slim down a track to a certain number of points etc. It was invaluable to me when creating my TAT tracks.

I hope this all helps.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #42
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

BTW, this is the thread you should spend some time reading about MapSource. - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144250

It will help you a lot.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #43
_DreamRider_
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgdrums
You get a free CNNT2010 download from Garmin with the purchase of your new 478. Register your gps with them, and IIRC, you should get an e-mail with a link to download your new map. Then follow the directions for install on your 478 and PC and you should be good to go.

There may be something I'm missing about your map download, but that's what I can recall from memory.

Good Luck
I called Garmin this morning, they said I have to purchase City Navigator, but I have seen several threads where people were aboe to download it free after purchase, had CD sent to them, and then those who had to pay, so not sure.

I will register the unit with Garmin today and see what they offer. What is IIRC?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #44
_DreamRider_
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
DreamRider, you have a fine GPS there and yes a little bit of a learning curve, but most of what you are experiencing right now is just some basic annoyances getting your GPS and your software on your PC synched. You would have the same learning curve with Mapsource even if it was the Zumo you bought.
BlueLghtning, Thanks for all your help, this really makes sense now, you could have just posted "go search the forum", (I have, but sometimes it seems like you read 40 posts that are not relevant for every 1 that is) but taking the time to explain this to a total new person to GPS, is really appreciated.

I bought the unit new, from amazon, and it came with the waypoint manager cd, not the navigator. At first I couldn't understand why, but now I think its because they probably sell these to a lot of boat users that wouldnt need the navigator software.

Thanks Again, and Thanks for the TAT specific tips, They will definitely help me. I purchased the maps July 16th, but not received an email or anything to confirn, I sent a follow up email but have not heard back.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #45
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
I called Garmin this morning, they said I have to purchase City Navigator, but I have seen several threads where people were aboe to download it free after purchase, had CD sent to them, and then those who had to pay, so not sure.

I will register the unit with Garmin today and see what they offer. What is IIRC?
Quote:
BlueLghtning, Thanks for all your help, this really makes sense now, you could have just posted "go search the forum", (I have, but sometimes it seems like you read 40 posts that are not relevant for every 1 that is) but taking the time to explain this to a total new person to GPS, is really appreciated.

I bought the unit new, from amazon, and it came with the waypoint manager cd, not the navigator. At first I couldn't understand why, but now I think its because they probably sell these to a lot of boat users that wouldnt need the navigator software.

Thanks Again, and Thanks for the TAT specific tips, They will definitely help me. I purchased the maps July 16th, but not received an email or anything to confirn, I sent a follow up email but have not heard back.

It seems when you call, its hit or miss depending on who you get to talk to. Go ahead and register the unit online. I'm betting you'll be eligible for a free upgrade since you bought this unit new which would be the best outcome.

IIRC = If I remember correctly.

Yeah, not sure why they don't include the actual DVD when you buy it. It would save a bunch of headaches from users. Even Boat users usually have a truck and could benefit from being able to have detailed maps on your PC.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 07-22-2009 at 11:40 AM