ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 172 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #436
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
As days pass, it becomes clearer that our 478's are getting long in the teeth.

They're not apparently compatible with the new USB 3 standard on computers. They don't have enough internal memory, so upgrading with unavoidable larger map sets requires work arounds.

I wonder how much longer mine will be viable?
Although its not a perfect solution, the 2gb data card that's being offered in the vendor forum is still a possibility and definitely makes it easier to load maps on the unit without all the work around's for the internal memory and of course works for the 276 & 376 that don't have internal memory like the 378/478.

But yeah, we are definitely seeing the end of life getting closer for our GPS units.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 11:36 AM
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #437
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post

I wonder how much longer mine will be viable?
As long as it's the best option out there (MO). I've just ordered a repair/replace for my oldest unit, lifetime maps still work and loading a data card is no big deal. The USB 3 thing is easily fixed. I do long for the old days though when Garmin let you have a little control over what maps were loaded, and what data. I find the new "Junction View" data to be useless and eliminating it during a map instal might allow a bit more useable stuff. I don't need Alaska or Mexico on my Street units. Oh well. Back to my soaps.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #438
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
from the top of my head
there is 1.37 Gb under rgn=77 and of 450 Mb under rgn=49
start with a small map as a trial run

1. create map using mapsource then send it to a thumb drive or similar then move it to your computer
2. create a folder called "test" on your c: drive
3. move IMG file to "test" and rename it gmapprom.img
4. make sure that webupdater is in the garmin folder and that webupdater.exe is inside the webupdater file
5. go to run and type in cmd and hit enter then type cd.. hit enter and repeat until you get to c:
6. type in c:\Garmin\webupdater\Webupdater.exe /upload_file rgn=49 path=c:\test\gmapprom.img -autorun usb /i
7. connect and turn on your GPS
8. hit enter and wait
9. to use the other memory partition just change the rgn from 49 to 77 and repeat

the thing that hung me up for hours the first time was getting the command line right, you need to make sure the files are where you say they are
you may need to change the command to match where the files are on your pc what I mean is that when you open your Garmin folder it should say c:\garmin and webupdater should say c:\garmin\webupdater and so on if not change the command to match your file locations

I was getting some wierd error for the first hour or so until I relized that on my PC webupdater.exe was in the webupdater folder inside of the Garmin folder.

I have gotten all of CNNA 2013.3 (about 1.8GB) onto my unit. I havent played around with installing different maps types (ie some topo, some CNNA, some OSM) in one shot to see if they would work properly.

hope this helps
Just tried doing a mixed mapset ( CNNA,topo,OSM) and it loaded but city nav was the only visible one because it has a priority # above the rest and I couldn't select a mapset like if you load it to a memory card.

mpatch screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 08:11 PM
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #439
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "leaves almost no room for anything else".

I'd be curious to know the size of "City Nav NT 2011.40 ALL" presently installed on my 478. If it's residing in rgn 77 it should be less than 1.37GB but there doesn't seem to be any tool to read an IMG off the device .... they must have added a lot more data to CN in the last 2 years to balloon the size by 45%.

just reinstalled 2011.1 and compared it to 2013.3 all maps selected to check size and map number difference

mpatch screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 09:15 PM
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #440
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
Garmin support was pretty much worthless. However, purchasing a simple 3.0 to 2.0 hub did the trick. Now I'm struggling with some other issues, but at least the Mac can see the 478 now.

I've still not been able to get my older CN maps to unlock on the new Mac. I bit the bullet and paid the $49 for CN 2014, only to find out the size is so bloated it won't all fit. I've read here that you can upgrade the storage on the 478 - I didn't think that was possible. Any step by step instructions? If I wanted to only upload maps regionally, I might as well have kept my Quest.
Update.

Garmin's email support basically told me "you can't get the old maps any longer if you purchased via download."

So I called them. I told them that it was not reasonable for me to stop in the middle of a trip to load more maps because of the increased size of CN 2014. After a bit of pushing on my part, they "magically" found a way to reactivate my download for CN 2010 so that it will load onto my new laptop. Of course now I have 2014 that I paid for and likely won't use, but at least I'll be able to route with the same mapset on my laptop and my GPS.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #441
HMR
Alps & Dirt Roads

Oddometer: 134
One solution is to buy a 2GB memory card to the 478. This would give you a total of 3.6GB memory for maps.

See other thread for details.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #442
tenfiddy
Demotivational P C

Oddometer: 185
I just picked up a 478 on ebay that was advertised as having a dead battery. Sure enough, once it got here the unit reported "Battery Missing". Thanks to the instructions in this thread I disassembled the battery, attached a 6v wall wart directly to the +/- leads on the battery and charged it for an hour before popping it in the 478 for a full charge. Now, 24 hours later, the battery is working again and the charge indicator is showing a full charge. I'll cycle it a couple times to see how long the life is but, from what I can tell, it's going to be fine! (the display shows better than 9 hours with the backlight turned off)

Note, before I disassembled the battery, I did try the trick of powering on the 478 before installing the battery to no avail. I also found you don't have to peel the label off before removing the plastic plate. EDIT: I'm getting at least 8 hours use out of a "dead" battery.

The 478 seems like a really a nice unit and I can see investing in the 2GB memory card to give it some more life with modern maps. I guess it's not totally necessary but for the cost, why mess with a 512MB or less?

Now I need an XM antenna and a subscription. w00t
"Unlimited foobar until epoch!"

tenfiddy screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 07:12 AM
tenfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #443
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,386
Biggest regret I have is selling my 478. Newer ain't always better.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #444
DeeG
Huh?

Oddometer: 466
USB input

After several years of use, the USB input port on my 376C broke. I took the GPS apart and it looks like the soldering that attaches the port to the circuit board gave up.

Garmin says they "don't have any parts like that left", and they won't fix it.

Pretty sure it can be re-soldered, but it would be nice to have a new part. grrrrr.

In the mean time, I opened up the 478 and took the piece out of there and stuck it in the 376C.

Anyone have any sources for parts?????

2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2009 Suzuki DR200
DeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #445
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeG View Post
Maybe stick a "wanted" post in the respective flee market threads. Someone may have a bricked unit laying around they'd part with for cheap.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #446
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
After several years of use, the USB input port on my 376C broke. I took the GPS apart and it looks like the soldering that attaches the port to the circuit board gave up.

Pretty sure it can be re-soldered, but it would be nice to have a new part. grrrrr.

In the mean time, I opened up the 478 and took the piece out of there and stuck it in the 376C.

I may have one depending on what way the USB is (they aren't all the same way some are wide part on top and some are wide part on the bottom) and they don't interchange.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #447
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:

I have had 2, 478's do the same thing, one 9 months after its alleged refurbishment. Please report back if you find a fix...

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #448
DeeG
Huh?

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I may have one depending on what way the USB is (they aren't all the same way some are wide part on top and some are wide part on the bottom) and they don't interchange.

It looks like this:

What I found that was interesting is...I have three of these GPSMAPS. A 376C, a 396 and a 478.

The 376C has the lifetime maps on it (the 396 has an aviation database in it), so it gets used the most, and of course, its the one that failed. I opened up the 478 (which has a screen that i thought was going TU) and took the USB port and stuck it in the 376C. At first I was just going to swap the guts from one to the other. But that didn't work. It wouldn't turn on. So, I put the guts back into the respective cases. I wasn't paying attention when I put the back on, and I grabbed the 478 back and put it on the 396C.

It fired up, but I could not get the line out to work. Not with external speakers not with headphones. When I put the proper back case on the 396C, the sound worked just fine.

I guess the electronics are not compatible with the different units. I would have thought they were, as they have pretty much identical hardware.

And the 478 screen works fine, it just had a strange orange colored dust all over it. Not sure how that happened..... weird.

I am going to take the failed USB port to work on Wednesday and see if I can't get my radio guy to solder it for me.
2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2009 Suzuki DR200
DeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #449
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 522
478 won't stay on

My 478 failed me this weekend, Oregon saved the day (believe it or not). So the 478 restarted in the middle of a route, and when running off external power, just keeps recycling the start-up screen. On battery power, it brings up the start-up screen, then shuts off after about three seconds.

Any thoughts?
Starchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #450
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Howdy gang,
While riding some singletrack in Baja, I bottomed my front suspension and unnoticed by me, my front brake line looped over my 478 antenna and stayed that way for awhile. I got the brake line off and didn't think anything else about it UNTIL I noticed I didn't have an antenna. I guess it must have loosened it up.

So now I need a new or used stock antenna. I tried google searches and ebay searches and none lead to a source for a stock antenna. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
Doh!!!! I did it again, this time in the California desert. But I think it was traumatically ripped off in one incident. The participants of this thread came through last time. Anyone have a recent lead on an antenna?
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote