ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Moving to CO Springs

Looks like we'll be moving to the Springs, since the wife accepted a position down there. She'll be working in the new Pikes Peak Library District building on Chapel Hills Dr, near Briargate. Did some scoping out of neighborhoods yesterday, and so far, it seems that most places close by in our range (250-300k) tend to have houses stacked on top of each other and no yards. We did find some places up off Baptist and in Palmer Lake we liked. Any other hoods to check in that range, that have bigger yards and trees and stuff? I can live anywhere since I work from home, so the closer to Chapel Hills the better :).
Old 07-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,305
Rock Rimmon area would be my first choice up there. (west of I-25 off Woodman) Built up mostly in the 60's and 70's, so the construction quality is superior to today's houses (copper pluming, wired in conduit, etc), mature trees, a "normal" amount of space between houses.

There's also a couple of pockets of similar houses east of Union - west of Academy - north of Austin Bluffs, and around Palmer Park (the actual park, not just the street), oh and east of Academy off of Barnes, but west of Powers.

New houses? I think they're going to be pretty much cookie cutter and right on top of each other in that price range.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/23...13600855_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/32...13593640_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20...13654257_zpid/

_CJ screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 02:43 PM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

We didn't check out the areas of the first three you linked above. Those look to be more of what we're looking for. Not too far from the wifes work either. Rockrimmon area was nice, but there wasn't much in our price range, that was older and not stacked on top of each other.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
We didn't check out the areas of the first three you linked above. Those look to be more of what we're looking for. Not too far from the wifes work either. Rockrimmon area was nice, but there wasn't much in our price range, that was older and not stacked on top of each other.
That last one on Avalon is a really nice area. Pretty close to the Waldo burn scar, but not right in it, and that park across the street is really nice for hiking and biking if you're into that. Same goes for the other two...nice neighborhood, nice park, but the area surrounding them isn't as high end as the Avalon house.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
That last one on Avalon is a really nice area. Pretty close to the Waldo burn scar, but not right in it, and that park across the street is really nice for hiking and biking if you're into that. Same goes for the other two...nice neighborhood, nice park, but the area surrounding them isn't as high end as the Avalon house.
Thanks for the leads. I liked the area over there where the Avalon house is. Was a little concerned with the burn scars on the hillside though, of course. We missed that one when checking out the neighborhoods over there. We checked out a few right down the road off Majestic Dr, and they had no yards. The other two on the other side of town look nice as well - much closer to the type of neighborhood we're looking for.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,071
Congrats on the job! :)
They've been raping the prairie with cookie cutters for years now, if you want something a little more individual, consider closer to downtown. I'm about 2 1/2 miles north and it's super quiet, mature trees, but-older homes. I'd still rather live in the country, but since that's not an option for me right now, this has turned out to be my next favorite. I just couldn't handle suburbia
If you're interested, an old friend of mine (Doug Widner c 719.351.8439) is a realtor-he's done very well for me and he's a down to earth guy.
Don't have a truck anymore, but I have a nice little bike trailer that holds a bunch of stuff-let us know if u need help moving
Maybe check out the areas off Old Ranch Rd (right by Pine Creek High)-I used to live a mile east of Old Ranch Rd & Milam (on Arrowhead) in Black Forest, now the city has grown right up to the edge of the forest (minimum 5 acre parcels unless it's tied into city water). Might be pricey, not sure now...

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
markamazing
That didn't hurt!

Oddometer: 1,004
wow

didn't you guys just buy a house last year in denver?

also, there are a coupla ADV librarians in el paso county..
markamazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Congrats on the job! :)
They've been raping the prairie with cookie cutters for years now, if you want something a little more individual, consider closer to downtown. I'm about 2 1/2 miles north and it's super quiet, mature trees, but-older homes. I'd still rather live in the country, but since that's not an option for me right now, this has turned out to be my next favorite. I just couldn't handle suburbia
If you're interested, an old friend of mine (Doug Widner c 719.351.8439) is a realtor-he's done very well for me and he's a down to earth guy.
Don't have a truck anymore, but I have a nice little bike trailer that holds a bunch of stuff-let us know if u need help moving
Maybe check out the areas off Old Ranch Rd (right by Pine Creek High)-I used to live a mile east of Old Ranch Rd & Milam (on Arrowhead) in Black Forest, now the city has grown right up to the edge of the forest (minimum 5 acre parcels unless it's tied into city water). Might be pricey, not sure now...
Yeah - we started out looking in the wrong areas, since we don't know the Springs well. The area near Palmer Park is so far looking like the best option. Not quite country, but at least there is some space and trees. And thanks for the assist offer. We'll be doing the POD thing again and having movers finish everything up when the time comes. I'm done with the moving myself stuff :)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markamazing View Post
didn't you guys just buy a house last year in denver?

also, there are a coupla ADV librarians in el paso county..
Yep, Centennial. Moved in here April 2013. :/
Old 07-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Leasing/renting for a while to get to know the area is a good option sometimes. Good luck.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
1Gopokes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
COLO Springs

check out a neighborhood called Park Forest Estates
in the Blackforest rd / Burgess rd area 2-3 acre lost

easy commute for the wife
1Gopokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gopokes1 View Post
check out a neighborhood called Park Forest Estates
in the Blackforest rd / Burgess rd area 2-3 acre lost

easy commute for the wife

Looks nice, but does not appear to be in our budget :)
Old Today, 12:38 PM   #13
Troy_V
Ace

Oddometer: 7
What about Woodmoor in Monument? I live a few miles from there.

I really like Palmer Lake, and I noticed you mentioned you had already looked there.
'02 Tuono R (#169/200)
'02 KLR650
'02 VFR800
'99 CBR600 Track whore
Troy_V is offline   Reply With Quote