ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,969
OT:Winter Entertainment, Education?-Local Style

So, I've been enjoying a lot of car and truck reviews lately and these folks are doing it in Colorado. If you haven't heard of them, introducing The Fast Lane Car and TFL Truck. I don't know them at all but I do enjoy watching them test cars and trucks in my neck of the woods. Maybe you will too.

http://www.tflcar.com

http://www.tfltruck.com

I'm waiting for them to post a Real World Review of the new Chevy Colorado/ GMC Canyon. Ike Gauntlet, Cliffhanger, deep snow, I-25 rush hour thru construction…

Cheers
Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
A few weeks ago I saw some ford (I'm guessing by the shape of the front end) test/prototype trucks around horsetooth reservoir they (two of them) had the black bra looking material covering the whole body and a chase/support/data collecting vehicle following them.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,452
Most of the TFL reviews are pretty entertaining, more 'real world' than most car/truck tests... Definitely like their I-70 'gauntlet' towing tests, but I also like:

When they go banging something like a Volvo wagon up Lefthand canyon...

Or do a "mash-up" comparison of unlikely competitors...

Or try their skills at High Plains Raceway, usually in a dirt-bike helmet (though they kind of suck on the track..)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
A few weeks ago I saw some ford (I'm guessing by the shape of the front end) test/prototype trucks around horsetooth reservoir they (two of them) had the black bra looking material covering the whole body and a chase/support/data collecting vehicle following them.
I constantly see camouflaged test cars running up and down I-70 and US 40 when i drive between Denver and Winter Park... High altitude testing. Not usually the super-cool stuff, mostly new Detroit McCar's which I probably wouldn't care about if it wasn't camo'ed. Very occasionally cool stuff... I think the TFL guys are always in un-disguised cars, though I imagine they review some stuff before the press embargo dates.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Most of the TFL reviews are pretty entertaining, more 'real world' than most car/truck tests... Definitely like their I-70 'gauntlet' towing tests, but I also like:

When they go banging something like a Volvo wagon up Lefthand canyon...
That Volvo video was entertaining! Wouldn't consider taking that car up that trail. I'm not a Boulder guy, do you know which trail they were driving Paul?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
New Ford F150 King Ranch as tested price was $61,685 WTF
Old 11-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
That Volvo video was entertaining! Wouldn't consider taking that car up that trail. I'm not a Boulder guy, do you know which trail they were driving Paul?

That's the main trail into the Lefthand OHV area outside of Boulder... Everything from the semi-mellow roads you see in the video to some pretty gnarly single track. Lots of TFL video's were shot up there.

The area has been closed since the Boulder floods, hopefully will re-open sometime next year!

Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,595
I see the "zebra'd" cars all the time headed up I70 (they often stop at the Genessee pullout), which is to be expected as the climb to the loveland tunnel is a defined test grade for the manufacturers - but the thing that has surprised me since moving up here is how often I see disguised cars (often Mercedes) going up and down Coal Creek Canyon!

I didn't know they used Coal Creek.
I wonder if they use our other tight canyons as well?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
New Ford F150 King Ranch as tested price was $61,685 WTF
They have to pay firefighter salaries and insurance since they came out with the exploding mag-aluminum bodies:
Old 11-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I see the "zebra'd" cars all the time headed up I70 (they often stop at the Genessee pullout), which is to be expected as the climb to the loveland tunnel is a defined test grade for the manufacturers - but the thing that has surprised me since moving up here is how often I see disguised cars (often Mercedes) going up and down Coal Creek Canyon!

I didn't know they used Coal Creek.
I wonder if they use our other tight canyons as well?

They use Mt. Evans road a lot. I got tired of going up there because some auto testers were breaking all the rules about passing and speeds. Did enjoy talking with the Jeep engineers when they brought a Grand Cherokee up with the Mercedes diesel in it.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,595
I'm going to flag down the Mercedes test guys next time I see them in my canyon and invite them to come over and test their vehicles on my driveway

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
not sure if you guys have ever watched the regular car reviews. I know these TFL folks are locals and whatnot, but the RCR's are like the TFL reviews on steroids. Although much more crude and really not remotely interesting to females, they are hilarious.

It was hard to sit through a full TFL after seeing a couple RCR's

They also started doing motos