ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
jfman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
COBDR without a Motocycle permit

Hello all,

My cousin and I both own DRZ400 and we are considering trailering the bikes to CO for next year. While I have a motorcycle permit, he is a dirt rider only and he only rides on trails around Canada. His drz400 is plated for the street but he doesn’t have a motorcycle endorsement on his license. Because our province has strict laws governing motorcycle permits, he would have to spend over a 1000$ and take a multi-week class to get the endorsement and it is just not worth it to him for a week long trip only.

So here comes the question: Without a permit Is it possible to ride around the COBDR and reach hotels and parking for our trailer without hassle?

What are some tips you can give us.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
DavisWelding
Boob Aventurer

Oddometer: 87
The thing is, here in Colorado, if you get stopped on a bike without MC endorsement they(can and usually will) impound your bike and haul you to jail if they like. The fee to get the bike back is $3500!! For the most part, that is as much as the bike is worth! Not to mention the costs of you having to go to court and such. I can't comment of the ability to get to and from hotels, gas stations and the like, I can only comment on the aftermath if you do get stopped while on the highway. Seeing as he has a Canadian license, the LEO's here may just look at it and say "Have a good day" while sending you on your way.

If you do take the gamble on riding without the MC endorsement, make damn sure your bikes are 100% legal and DO NOT break the law! Don't give them a reason to stop you. Good luck andI hope you guys get to have some fun!!
DavisWelding is online now   Reply With Quote