ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
One Fat Roach OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
ABQ to LA route suggestions

I need to ride my fully loaded KLR next week to LA from ABQ. Looking for any ideas from some of you gurus who have ridden AZ before. I'd really prefer to avoid most of any interstate but i'm not quite sure of that being an option at this point. I've spent the last few hours on mapquest studying my options and so far this one seems like a good one:
http://mapq.st/1vrHQ6o

I'm not on a deadline with time nor do I want to go sight seeing, but I do have limited cash. That's my main obstacle.

Just wondering where you guys would suggest I avoid. Or what routes YOU would take. I have the proper gear to deal with any cold (its not heated though). I have ridden over mountain passes back home in WA before, I've also ridden in snow and most recently I have ridden over the backside of Sandia Mountain via 165 but my bike wasn't fully loaded. Big mistake with that last one.

Trying to do a little planning here as i'm looking to make this a 2-3 day trek to get to LA. And from what I've learned from living in the SW the last few months is that's its good to do some homework and have some options. so that's all im trying to do here. open to any and all suggestions. let me know if the route I provided above is good, bad or just awful.

ps, I sincerely want to thank any of you inmates who have helped me out in any way while I was in New Mexico. Hopefully I'll get to see a few of you face to face before my departure. Hope to see ya'll again soon
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:06 AM   #2
DontBeALarry
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Onward Friend!

I would cut onto hwy 53 in Grants and go through the Zuni res, much better than I-40 and a more of a straight line to Show Low.

If you need logistical support along the way, you know I will help however I can....from the comfort of my armchair of course.
DontBeALarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
This hazardous weather outlook is for apache...coconino...
Northern gila...navajo...and yavapai counties in northern
arizona.

.day one...today and tonight

a winter storm warning is in effect for all counties in northern
arizona today through thursday afternoon for significant snow
accumulations.

Widespread snow will increase from west to east across northern
arizona on wednesday. The heaviest snowfall will form along a
broad precipitation band moving ahead of the low center.

This is a very cold winter storm with snow falling to the lowest
elevation areas by wednesday night. Winter driving conditions will
develop on new years eve and continue through new years day.

.days two through seven...thursday through tuesday

expect significant snow accumulations through thursday as a
winter storm warning remains in effect. Cold temperatures will
continue through friday keeping the snow from melting. Slick and
icy road conditions will linger on unplowed rural roadways.

Storm total snowfall accumulation ranges for this event...
Roughly 2 to 6 inches for elevations between 3000 and 5000 feet.
Roughly 6 to 15 inches between 5000 to 8000 feet.
Mountain slopes above 8000 feet may see 15 to 20 inches of snowfall.

For detailed forecast information please go to weather.gov/flagstaff.

.spotter information statement...

Weather spotters are encouraged to report significant weather
conditions according to standard operating procedures.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,397
what day next week are you planning on leaving, Josh?

Temps are going to warm up to 50s for highs starting Wednesday and staying that way thru the weekend, I would head south on 25 to Hatch, stop at Sparky's for a green chile cheeseburger

Continue west on I-10 to Tucson, and onward.

That first stretch of Interstate slab will get you further south to warmer temps. Once you get to the Tucson area, you can decide on non-Interstate routes that are more enjoyable.

You still owe me a beer cabron, let me know when you want to meet up before your departure! (go Packers!)

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Magoo_ View Post
Continue west on I-10 to Tucson, and onward.

That first stretch of Interstate slab will get you further south to warmer temps.

I'd stay as far south as possible too - once you climb up to ShowLow or anywhere on the Mogollon Rim it's going to be wintery conditions in the piney woods.
I-8 thru Yuma might even sound good
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,376
I wouldn't even think about anything along that stretch of the I-40 corridor in winter without heated gear. . serious, that has bad juju written all over it.

With the short days, 3 days of slab is optimistic.

What's the most miles that you have put in/hour on that bike running secondary roads? Plug that into the computer and see what you are up against.
That has to be 3-10+ hour days if you go south and try to stay off of the interstate. Half of those 10 hour days could be brutal cold.
Hell, it's a 14 hour haul via I-40 in a truck going 80-90 on I-40 non-stop.

Btw, we were in Phoenix 2 years ago this time of year and there was snow on the palm trees one weekend.

WATCH THE WEATHER or this trip could be outright dangerous.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
One Fat Roach OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks Magoo. I'm looking at Wednesday or Thursday most likely. Depends on my friend who I will be meeting in LA. Packers.... oh boy, LOL. Definitely need to take care of that cerveza soon.

Gordy, I've done 700+ miles on backroads once from the NW corner of WA state to Hood River Oregon. I needed 2 full days to recover and felt like death. Not that fun.

Im not in a huge hurry to cover all the miles, I would like to take my time and enjoy AZ since it will be my first time there. But don't want to lolly gag too much at the same time.

Appreciate all your input, fellas.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
trailwerks
Missing Two Wheels

Oddometer: 249
I would definitely put in a big "second" to the "south, then west" approach. I drove through the Mogollon Rim area last week to and from Phoenix. Single digit temps at times, lots of snow on the ground. Brrrrr. I suggest south to Hatch quick as you can go and then slowing down to enjoy the roads less traveled. And watch the forecast. As others have pointed out, it is cold way south right now but next week looks quite a bit better. We were in Tucson last winter to ride and it was getting below freezing at night.

"No battle was ever won by spectators, was it?" - George Smiley in The Honourable Schoolboy by John Le Carre
trailwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,831
I can't remember how many times I've been snowed on riding thru Flagstaff in April.

Coming back from Baja and riding my 650 back to Santa Fe....in February.... I thought I'd go via Globe/ hwy 60 from PHX, and got turned back towards TUC by snow on the rim.

I'm just in 'too cold to enjoy the ride' mode with it being subzero here
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I can't remember how many times I've been snowed on riding thru Flagstaff in April.

Coming back from Baja and riding my 650 back to Santa Fe....in February.... I thought I'd go via Globe/ hwy 60 from PHX, and got turned back towards TUC by snow on the rim.

I'm just in 'too cold to enjoy the ride' mode with it being subzero here

I'll never forget trying to get out of Mexico to Deming one Christmas.

This was the day before the "big" snow hit.

We then holed up in a hotel for a day and a half and then decided to basically just freeze our asses off and burned it all the way to the truck in Deming and got in a few hours after dark. If we had to ride all night, we never would have made it. It was brutal cold that evening.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
One Fat Roach OP
Beastly Adventurer

little bit more revision on my route... something like this
http://mapq.st/1x4HXKV

will NM-53 be doable? it crosses over a mountain range and im wondering about snow.

also, from show low to camp verde would I be looking at snow there as well? Im not opposed to going further south through phoenix during that section but someone has mentioned its worth doing, but how rough could it be weather wise? Just better off keeping the route further south and not getting fancy?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 434
Leaving already?

Well, about the only thing I can offer that hasn't been said already is that there are some "hot pools" we ran across last winter just over the boarder in AZ. Here's the coordinates: N32 31.265' W109 26.324'. We took a dirt road that paralleled 191 heading south, to the east from Safford, AZ. It split off from the section where 191 and 70 are one route. The route appears to start out as R27E then becomes R28E at some point. It was paved for a good ways then became dirt. The hot pools are actually closer to I-10, north of Bowie, if you are coming through on that route but you'd have to meander your way through on farm roads between what appeared to be pecan orchards. The pump runs on solar power so the pools fill and stay hot during the day. Kinda out in the middle of nowhere but if you are freezing your ass off this might be a good place to camp one night.

No gas in Bowie. Actually, almost nothing in Bowie.

If you are interested in this I'll see if I can cut out that portion of the track.

PS. I rode through from I-40 to Questa and on to Springerville once in 30ish degree weather wearing about 4 layers - froze my ass off.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
One Fat Roach OP
Beastly Adventurer

unfortunately, I am greg. The job I had been working let me go the last shift I had before coming home to visit for a week. I gave them 90 days notice for the time off I requested and managers shit the bed, they didn't approve the time off I requested but I took it anyway.

I don't have a smartphone but im trying to figure out a route so I can upload it to a GPS I've never used before. I've had it for a few years but just kept it in a box in the garage. Im more of a "study a map for a few nights and memorize numbers and names for turns and then just wing it" kind of GPS hahaha. Hot pools sound great. maybe I'll get lucky and find one along the way.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Fat Roach View Post
little bit more revision on my route... something like this
http://mapq.st/1x4HXKV

will NM-53 be doable? it crosses over a mountain range and im wondering about snow.

also, from show low to camp verde would I be looking at snow there as well? Im not opposed to going further south through phoenix during that section but someone has mentioned its worth doing, but how rough could it be weather wise? Just better off keeping the route further south and not getting fancy?
Sorry to see you go, but onward and upward. Keep your adventure moving.

As for those routes, I agree with Blake about getting south and staying south. Yes, there is a lot in there worth riding...in the summer. As I write this, it's 27 degrees in Show Low, with a 70% chance of precipitation. Those mountain roads will be slow going for some time. The steep hillsides and tall trees will keep ice in the corners. It's a forbidding environment this time of year. I would skip the forests of SW New Mexico and SE Arizona by going south to Deming, Lordsburg, Tuscon, and then play it by ear. If you make good time, you can take it a bit more leisurely in so-Cal.

Good luck!
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDee

PS. I rode through from I-40 to Questa and on to Springerville once in 30ish degree weather wearing about 4 layers - froze my ass off.

I think you meant Quemado, que no?

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote