Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #31
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Bhasmasur,
Very proper looking motorbike.
I vote for the woman and keeping the saree guard.
Has the military model been dropped for the UCE?
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 AM   #32
Blizzard Beast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Bhasmasur,
Very proper looking motorbike.
I vote for the woman and keeping the saree guard.
Has the military model been dropped for the UCE?
Thanks,

The C5 military is available outside of India in the US/UK etc.The Indian laws prohibit civilian vehicles sporting the military olive green color.
Blizzard Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #33
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by carockwell
To answer the OP's question, absolutely not. Maintain a constant speed over 60 mph and you will be shedding more parts than my cat sheds hair. If you mean can you ride for 30 miles at 65 mph, the answer is yes. If you mean can you ride across the country on I80 and stay out of the way of the trucks, the answer is no. After a brief time at 65 MPH you will need to do some wrenching, tweaking, oil adding, etc. These machine are designed to accelerate to speeds over 60 mph and then slow down for something. Steady state cruising at 65-70 mph is not realistic or advisable. Just take a test ride and you will come to the same conclusion. Steady state cruising at 55 mph is wonderful and will quickly make a convert of you.

Excuse me-
For the iron barrels, that's true. I have an AVL and have done all day between 60-65 OK. The roads I travel, I end up dipping down a bit more- but I take it on I-40 some.

The new UCE is really not the same engine at all. RE goes to great lengths to make the bike look old, but the engine is Unit Construction with elctronic ignition, fuel injection, hydraulic valve lifters, etc. Granted- it's really too new for huge maileage reviews, but it seems to be a very solid lump.

That said- I'm glad I got my AVL. I don't really relish wrenching, but this bike needs me. Plus, it's light and handles well here in the mountains.
I got to 10K this week and it runs great. It does drip oil everywhere- when I change the tranny oil. I simply can not get a handle on how to control where that stuff drains. No matter what I put under the bike- I always end up with a puddle under the bike.

When I first got the bike, I was healthier and fancied the cafe look;

But I realized i was kidding myself. I found an old Indian tank and fixed it up. Seems to suit me better- mbut having some tanks around is cheaper than a whole new bike, too.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #34
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
New Unit Enfield

I want to like the Enfield unit construction motor but I think it will take a few more years to find out if it really is capable of a sustained 70mph. Reading the Royal Enfield forum it is clear there are issues with the bike that haven't yet been sorted out and factory reliability is not up to the standards I expect from a modern motorcycle manufacturer.
From what I have read (here on advrider!) Indian roads are good for 45 mph with bursts to sixty on open roads if you are brave (foolhardy). If an Indian assembled bike is to work on US roads it has to be capable of higher speeds to be safe. US drivers are an impatient lot. And even though road maintenance is falling away in this prolonged "double dip" Depression we are still expected to do more than walking speed on main roads.
I am not interested in wrenching to keep a bike roadworthy. Nuts and bolts falling off were a royal pain when I was a youngster and bikes vibrated. Broken electricals from wires snapping and bulbs breaking from vibrations are fun to recall but were no fun at the time. Vibration wrecks an engine faster and in more ways than youngsters reared on ultra smooth motorbikes can imagine. It doesn' do your fillings much good either.
I am not feeling adventurous and would rather see others spend $6000+ on a motorcycle that is essentially unproven. Pretty as it is.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #35
JustJack
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Cool!

I've taken a ride around these forums today, and I get a kick out of every one. Who would have thought I'd be listening in on a conversation about the Royal Enfield?
I haven't even seen one on the road yet.
I guess I need to get out more. I've been doing too much roofing and not enough riding.

Keep ridin',
JustJack

JustJack screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 09:49 AM
JustJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #36
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhasmasur
Thanks,

The C5 military is available outside of India in the US/UK etc.The Indian laws prohibit civilian vehicles sporting the military olive green color.
Bhasmasur,
Thanks, I went to the US RE site and saw the military UCE model but alas it's missing the metal panniers and engine guard of the old model.
I need to do more more looking to see if the accessories are available.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #37
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/

It's easiest to call them.
OR- you have a great dealer in Florida... Holopaw something or other.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #38
Big Steve
Banned

Oddometer: 2,431
I'm sure pleased to see that the one and only Uncle Ernie has taken the time to visit here.

Hope all is swell with you UE!
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #39
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #40
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,169
In 2008/2009, when I lived in India, the 350cc Bullet was about $1700, and the "Machismo" 500cc (electric start, 5 speed unit, front disc brake) was about $2000. I don't know about now but at the time they were readily available off the dealer floors. For reasons I still can't understand a (western) friend custom ordered a Bullet in Army Green with panniers, getting it through the Chennai factory and he didn't have any trouble riding it on Indian roads. Neither of the bikes, 350/500cc was good for sustained 60 mph+ cruising....and if you're riding in India that's not highly reccomended. Also, if you are buying a bike in India as a foreigner its kind of difficult (I had work/resident permit).
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #41
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/

It's easiest to call them.
OR- you have a great dealer in Florida... Holopaw something or other.
UE,
How about a great dealer close to Asheville?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #42
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

The last one closed over a year ago.
I hear there's a place across the border in SC, but I think he's only open one day a week.

Personally, I really want to look at and test ride a Ural ST, but the nearest dealer (Blue Moon near Atlanta) isn't stocking them. What a maroon...

Would love to see a Ural-Royall Enfield dealership around here.
Heck- with your money and my good looks, we could make it happen!

Anyhoo- the website has a dealer locator. Maybe Knoxville or Memphis? Good luck.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #43
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
Personally, I really want to look at and test ride a Ural ST, but the nearest dealer (Blue Moon near Atlanta) isn't stocking them. What a maroon...

that's because he cann't for now they are all special order till they see if there's a market for them -- so far all who have ridden and/ or own one give it good reviews --- when the R/65 dies I'll be looking at one or a Retro Solo as I currently own a Retro hack and after 28000 miles ride it anywhere/everywhere I choose at highway speeds [ installed road gears ] with out any problems -- I have more faith in the Ural than the Beamers I've owned or own now
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #44
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
err.. +6 . Very handsome putter for riding the hedge roads.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #45
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhasmasur
That is correct.Even here in India,the waiting period for a 500 is 8-10 months.
The response to the C5 has been overwhelming.
well hell, that means i should place an order now.

i was planning on dithering about which one to get; they're all smoking hot.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote