User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
DC950 OP
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
Adult Senior League Baseball

So, I started playing baseball again after a very, very long time. For about 5 years I've been coaching my sons on two different teams and have really gotten into the game. I slowly began to realize that maybe I can play baseball and not just talk about it. I figured at the least that if I played now, I would be able to understand what a kid is going through at the plate if it wasn't an age since I'd faced a hardball in anger.

Until a year ago I had no idea there was such a thing as adult baseball that wasn't professional. I thought all there was was softball. Well, there is hardball and it's all over the place:

http://www.msblnational.com/

The talent level in my league is pretty wide, as are the ages. I'm in a wooden bat 40+ league. I think everyone on my team played in college except for me. There are guys in the league who just turned 40 all the way up to one who will be 80 next month (who still throws a mean curve ball). We have a pitcher ourselves who is 78.

I've played 5 or 6 games so far and haven't been a complete embarrassment to the team.

Any of you play? Anyone one want to know what's it's like to start over as a 47 year old?

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
When I was in high school, a handful of the scrubs from my school joined a men's fast pitch softball league. We were by far the youngest participants. Hard to remember, but ages probably ranged generally from 30s to 60s. I can tell you the younger guys (especially us) had nothing on some of the older fellows, especially when it came to pitching.

I'd like to get back into it, though maybe baseball like you. Fast pitch baseball kicked my butt.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
DC950 OP
Microadventurer

I've never played fast pitch softball and with the mound being 46' away, I'm not sure that I want to play! There aren't any leagues for men around here anyway.

We normally play on Sunday but are playing Tuesday evening at First Tennessee fields. So if you are bored out of your mind, come by. It should be interesting - we play the best team and are going to be lucky to field 9. It may be an early night.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
If I were closer I would help fill out the team! I would love to get into a league, but there are none within 2 hours of me (I checked). I haven't played since college, but I still miss it. My church team's last slow pitch softball game for the summer is tonight. I'm pretty bummed, I could play year round!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
DC950 OP
Microadventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
If I were closer I would help fill out the team! I would love to get into a league, but there are none within 2 hours of me (I checked). I haven't played since college, but I still miss it. My church team's last slow pitch softball game for the summer is tonight. I'm pretty bummed, I could play year round!
well I guess you could start your own. There is an article on the website about some guys in Paducah, KY doing just that:

http://www.msblnational.com/League-N...all-45-509.htm

It really is a lot of fun, although going 0-4 last night sucked. I got nailed in the wrist a week ago and I just can't snap the bat onto the ball. I have little power anyway but I've gone from briefly hitting .455 to .280. I'm glad it's 11 days till the next game - hopefully it will start working and quit hurting.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Oddometer: 828
Gave it up after 2008.......... too old, too slow, and too much linguini in the off-season. Enjoyed every minute of it, but went from pitcher to first base to DH.

At 66 y/o, I can't compete anymore.................bad knees.

Enjoy it while you can.

ST-DocLizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
DC950 OP
Microadventurer

my sore wrist is a fractured arm, broken right behind that knob thing on the wrist. I should have gone to the doc right away - now I'm going to miss a double header by a week and will only get to play the last game. Once again, having a very high pain tolerance has hurt me (no pun intended).

Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,859
I played until a couple of years ago (2nd base). I just had too many family commitments so baseball had to go. Here in Phoenix theres a bunch of guys that played in single A to AAA ball so some of the teams are pretty good. I'm almost 52 now and can't wait to get back to it. I've coached my 9 year olds team so I've gotten to at least be on a field. I really miss it and I'm a solid .275 hitter . The only reason I they still let me play is that I'm actually pretty good at defense.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,810
It's pretty popular here in middle Mn. The team from Sauk Rapids includes a couple that were drafted into the majors, played on farm teams, but never made it to the bigs. The local paper does a very good job of covering the games, too.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
DC950 OP
Microadventurer

I got the cast off last week and played Sunday in the last regular season game. Well, batted at least since the manager didn't trust my ability to catch yet.

I'm having a hard time getting the bat around on the ball due to the stiffness in my left wrist - I can't snap on the ball, causing me to hit to the right side of the field. Besides a ground out to 1B, I managed to get one Texas League base hit, an RBI on a ground out to 2nd, and a little squib in front of the plate I beat out to first.

So technically, I'm hitting over .300 but that's just because I'm faster to the bag that the other old men are to the ball. But it sure was fun stealing 2nd and 3rd Sunday. Next is the tournament.

I highly encourage you guys to get out there and play or start your own league. It's great fun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: