ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #256
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
I'm watching Columbus play at Seattle.

Seattle has a crowd of 30,000? For MLS? Wow.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #257
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
Just for the record, I'm not a fan of Ancelotti. Only one Serie A crown? Not good.

Champions League titles are sometimes more about luck than skill. League titles denote consistency. Plus, he seemed perfectly happy with an aging Milan squad.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #258
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
Man, did the USA soccer team stink. 3-1 loss to Costa Rica.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #259
JNRobert
Breaking Wind
 
JNRobert's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Oddometer: 9,589
England Kazakhstan 4-0

I heard Rooney's goal was a doozy - I haven't seen it as I'm still looking for my black flag
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #260
bigsteve950adv
White Trash Adventurer
 
bigsteve950adv's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Merthyr Tydfil...South Wales.
Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
I wish Chelsea had an anthem as good as You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Kop is one of football's great heritages. It's one of the things that makes English football different and better. The passion the fans bring to the game makes it so much more enjoyable. I sometimes fall asleep watching La Liga and Serie A.
Keep wishing,it wont happen however desperately you want it to,you cant buy tradition,pasion and respect...even though Abramovic thinks he can.Truth is,no other club in the Premiership attracts the contempt from all fans like Chelsea do.
__________________
Bigsteve
Now with less fat...but still all the goodness.

Lived in this town all my life...and still got my own front teeth

05 KTM 950 Adventure

87 KTM 350 MX

82 MAICO 250 Alpha 1 Enduro...went to the big welsh bog in the sky
bigsteve950adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #261
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve950adv
Keep wishing,it wont happen however desperately you want it to,you cant buy tradition,pasion and respect...even though Abramovic thinks he can.Truth is,no other club in the Premiership attracts the contempt from all fans like Chelsea do.
Jealousy and dislike, maybe. Unfounded, of course. Man U aren't exactly penurious. And Liverpool has a bit of a debt problem, wouldn't you say?

Contempt? Not on your life. Respect, and loads of it.

You sound like one those twits who belittle Frank Lampard. Are you?
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #262
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMo
I heard Rooney's goal was a doozy - I haven't seen it as I'm still looking for my black flag
Capello's done a tremendous job with the England team.

They'd never lose at home to Finland.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #263
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
Shaky win by the US squad over Honduras. Good character to come back from a goal down. But the defense looked fragile and far too many passes into and around the box went astray. Tremendous atmosphere in Soldier Field, even though it was another "away" home game for the US.

Meanwhile, Mexico struggles even without Sven, down 1-0 to El Salvador.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #264
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
Mexico pulled a Wales and lost to El Salvador.

Proud football country must be in shock.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #265
bigsteve950adv
White Trash Adventurer
 
bigsteve950adv's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Merthyr Tydfil...South Wales.
Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Jealousy and dislike, maybe. Unfounded, of course. Man U aren't exactly penurious. And Liverpool has a bit of a debt problem, wouldn't you say?

Contempt? Not on your life. Respect, and loads of it.

You sound like one those twits who belittle Frank Lampard. Are you?
I think a Chelsea fan should be the last one to be bringing up another clubs debt,yes the American owners are doing their best to ruin us but we will be ok,i saw the stats on the level of debt in the Premiership last week...Chelsea are by far the worst,but it doesnt make pretty reading for fans of any club.
The vast majority of Liverpool fans want Hicks and Gillette out,and the sooner the better in my opinion,yes we will need people to come in with huge resources such as any of the top clubs would these days,but it will happen.I personally hope that the banks come down hard on them,that may force their hand so to speak,it may bring them back to reality and they may finally realise that they are hopelessly out of their depth.As far as i am aware you are an American,so i am trying to remain respectful here when i am talking about this pair of ummm fellas
As for Lampard...you have already assumed i am a twit who is going to belittle him,and then AFTER you have assumed this about me you then ask if i am,i think you got that the wrong way around fella Lampard is a good player,he is no Gerrard but then again who is i know nothing about you as a person so i am not going to make any assumptions about you ,but i will say that when you say that other fans have an "unfounded jealousy and dislike" of Chelsea then you dont really know the game over here fella,how often do you come over,do you spend time in pubs,workplaces or homes with rival fans where we all take the piss out of each other,you know... when you all know each other so well that that you take the piss taking as far as you can without receiving a slap.I used to work with a 160 kilo Leeds fan,i used to push him beyond his limits,i am lucky to live to tell the tale .
You also say that it is not contempt that Chelsea are treated with but "respect and lots of it"...i have to say that you are wrong here my friend,to me it sounds like another thing you crave but cannot have,will never have.
FA Cup Final last week,apart from the Chelsea fan in my family and the Chelsea fan who is one of my oldest friends,everybody else i talked to wanted Everton to win,even the Liverpool fans
Sorry to burst your fluffy bunny Chelsea utopian ideal,but this is the reality fella. If i can help you with any other Football queries you may have then please do let me know.
__________________
Bigsteve
Now with less fat...but still all the goodness.

Lived in this town all my life...and still got my own front teeth

05 KTM 950 Adventure

87 KTM 350 MX

82 MAICO 250 Alpha 1 Enduro...went to the big welsh bog in the sky
bigsteve950adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #266
JNRobert
Breaking Wind
 
JNRobert's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Oddometer: 9,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Capello's done a tremendous job with the England team.

They'd never lose at home to Finland.
Didn't Finland get a draw with Germany? (who have the worst defense of the big European teams imho, Only their front row, which has been deadly particularly Kloser, have kept them in the game).

I watched the highlights of the England-Kazak game and it looked like a practice scrimage. England have a tendency to lose their nerve when playing against lesser teams (same problem they have with penalties?).

Argentina and Spain still impress and Brazil as always can play miraculous football when they choose.

I'm thinking it's going to be a Latin dominated World Cup 2010.
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #267
JNRobert
Breaking Wind
 
JNRobert's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Oddometer: 9,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Man, did the USA soccer team stink. 3-1 loss to Costa Rica.
How about last night
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #268
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMo
How about last night
Post 263.


__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #269
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve950adv
us



__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #270
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve950adv
i know nothing about you as a person so i am not going to make any assumptions about you ,but i will say that when you say that other fans have an "unfounded jealousy and dislike" of Chelsea then you dont really know the game over here fella,how often do you come over,
Do try to be consistent.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014