Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #1396
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Before the financial crunch money was freely available, perhaps too freely. Loans were renegotiated, borrowed money floated borrowed money and with a healthy economy it all worked out.
I think we're in agreement.

1. The EPL in the last 10 years reflects the state of finance everywhere: too much liquidity chasing too few assets with little or no genuine risk assessement.

2. Massive T.V. income inflation - which is still there and will probably continue in the next round of contracts.

So, they've been living beyond their means which is why they need white knights such as your man at Chelski

Quote:
To your second point, it's not just the CL failure but also the mediocrity of this EPL campaign. Remember, I called it as the season started. There's been a net outflow of talent in the Prem.
Which gets to a deeper systemic problem of English football. With a few exceptions, the talent of the EPL has been foreign imported. The F.A. as usual, have done little or nothing to fix this.

So, we're back to a model built on a tribal affiliations that's trying to fit a post tribal, non-regional business model.

JNRobert screwed with this post 04-08-2010 at 12:16 PM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #1397
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

By the way, Barca - Madrid coming up. Any guesses on how they'll handle Messi (kick him to pieces, p'raps )?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #1398
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMo
By the way, Barca - Madrid coming up. Any guesses on how they'll handle Messi (kick him to pieces, p'raps )?
I think Guus Hiddink wrote the book on defending Barca. No-one seems to have read it, though.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #1399
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
I think Guus Hiddink wrote the book on defending Barca. No-one seems to have read it, though.
I'm betting Mourinho has Play eight men behind the ball.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #1400
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Quote:
I'm betting Mourinho has Play eight men behind the ball.
Mourinho knows defense. He won't "park the bus" (I love that expression!) but he'll know how to rob Messi of space, which is what Hiddink did.

Inter have the disadvantage of playing the second game on the road. Were it not for that I'd say they were slight favorites. They can defend and score. Barca sometimes have trouble defending.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #1401
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Fantastic result for Liverpool tonight It seems Torres is really starting to find his form again which is good for Liverpool and Spain but oh so bad for England.

Great result also for Fullham - to go to Germany and beat the German champions is a great result
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #1402
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Fantastic result for Liverpool tonight It seems Torres is really starting to find his form again which is good for Liverpool and Spain but oh so bad for England.

Great result also for Fullham - to go to Germany and beat the German champions is a great result
Yes to both.

Fulham is such a pleasant surprise. Hodgson for... well, something.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #1403
wxwax OP
Excited Member

There's something about Sam Allardyce and Blackburn this season.

First Chelsea go there after a crushing loss in the Champions League and only manage a single point. It feels like their season is lost.

Now Manchester United go to Ewood Park after three bad results in row. And they only come away with a point as well. Now it's their turn to feel like their season is lost.

But given the level of mediocrity in the Prem this season and with Chelsea still facing tough games home to Bolton then away to Spurs and Liverpool, I reckon there's still another twist in this tale.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #1404
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Not a great game against Villa, but enough to win. Aston Villa, to their credit, came out with some fight. Probably should have had a penalty. Might have seen John Terry sent off.

Instead they concede three, don't score any and come away angry. You have to think the winner of this match is the Cup winner. It's nice to see Pompy get some sort of reward for their dismal season but surely they'll be over-matched in the final.

I'm glad Chelsea found their game in the second half. They'll need it for the upcoming fixtures. Joe Cole is looking better and better. He seems to have found his pace and his touch. These days the best Chelsea team seems to be Malouda on the other side, one of the two strikers on the bench and Deco acting as play-maker. That's a fluid side, decent pace and creative.

They say they look narrow, but that may be because Paolo Ferrera isn't really a fullback, he's too slow. He usually plays center-back but injuries have robbed Chelsea of all their first and second choice fullbacks. I keep waiting for Zhirkov to have a breakout game. He's certainly getting the playing time. Can't be too impatient. It took Malouda two years and three managers to find his game in the EPL.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #1405
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Might have seen John Terry sent off.
An appalling decision. Terry's challenge is the definition of a red card tackle. I like Chelsea but dayum, I don't understand that call at all.

In contrast, if I was a youth coach I would make my players watch the Barca - Madrid clash as a lesson in how to play the game. Madrid may have the stars but they're still not a team.

p.s. My thesis about 'Happy Feet' Ronaldo stands. Who ever is the manager next year would do well to reign him in and use his talents to effect. They could start by making him watch tapes of Messi over the summer break
Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #1406
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Quote:
An appalling decision. Terry's challenge is the definition of a red card tackle. I like Chelsea but dayum, I don't understand that call at all.
Interesting that the color commentator wasn't sure it was even a foul.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #1407
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Interesting that the color commentator wasn't sure it was even a foul.

It's not up on Youtube yet, but you can watch it on the streaming sites (such as HERE and see how vicious it is - it's studs up and knee height. It's reminiscent of a Metarrazi hit.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #1408
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Quote:

It's not up on Youtube yet, but you can watch it on the streaming sites (such as HERE and see how vicious it is - it's studs up and knee height. It's reminiscent of a Metarrazi hit.
I've already seen it, I watched the match.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #1409
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Let's hope Torres' knee is OK... but that he needs to rest it through the first week of May.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #1410
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Stan Kroenke is making a bid to buy the St. Louis Rams of the NFL.

If he succeeds he won't have any money left over to take a controlling interest in Arsenal.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: