Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 AM   #1441
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert
I know this thread has, like Sid, died but it has to be stated for the record that today's El Classico witnessed the finest display of club football I have ever seen.

Barcelona roled over Mourinho's Real Madrid 5-0 with a display of soccer that I have no doubt will be used for years as a training guide to how the game should be played. Beautiful.

Watch it again on-line HERE.

p.s. Surely the Messi - Ronaldo debate is over in Messi's favor.
Not a good couple weeks for Jose
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #1442
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Not a good couple weeks for Jose
He'll be back and Madrid are looking good for the first time in years in the Champions league which the 'chosen one' is a great tactician of. And they're only two points behind Barca so it isn't over.

As for Barcelona, this team under Guardiola must be considered as one of the greatest in the history of the game. They put on another breathtaking performance against Villareal a couple of weeks ago that's worth seeking out.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #1443
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Damn it, Waxy. Chelski pay 50M for Torres and Liverpool 35M for Carrol The world's gone mad.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #1444
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Damn it, Waxy. Chelski pay 50M for Torres and Liverpool 35M for Carrol The world's gone mad.
Torres I can (sorta) see but Carrol I just goddam despair of Liverpool these past few years. They pay way way too much for players who bring so much bloody baggage with them, be it injury or an attitude. I really thought John Henry was smarter than that.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #1445
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Torres I can (sorta) see but Carrol I just goddam despair of Liverpool these past few years. They pay way way too much for players who bring so much bloody baggage with them, be it injury or an attitude. I really thought John Henry was smarter than that.
It is a bizarre buy. We might all be praising Dalglish when Carrol starts banging in the goals though Liverpool have started to win again but they still look fragile, don't have that swagger we expect.

Is Wenger the only sane man in top level football? When was the last time Arsenal bet the bank? And their youth system appears to actually work (Wilshire) unlike Chelsea's.

p.s. Real Madrid lost on Sunday (woo hoo).
Old 02-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #1446
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
All top-tier European teams have to be careful from now on - the new UEFA rules for finances come into effect from 2012, and cover the previous three years, IIRC.

Chelski made a loss of £71m last year - and they've spent £70m on Torres and Ruiz. The new rules say that clubs have to stay very close to break-even at the least, or risk disqualification from the Champion's League or other sanctions. The cost of a player like Torres can amortized over the length of the agreed contract though.

Quote:
Under the new UEFA financial fair play rules, clubs must pledge to break even on all football activities, subject to a sliding scale of acceptable losses that can be covered by a club’s owner.

In the first two years that will be analysed by Uefa’s team of accountants, clubs will be permitted to overspend by a total of €45m as long as that figure is cancelled out by an equity injection from the owner.

Over the following three seasons, the permitted losses will again be set at €45m over the entire period. That will then drop to €30m over three seasons, then €15m, then zero.

Once a club, which will be investigated in detail if it exhibits one of a number of warning signs, fails the test the case will pass to a new panel set up to decide on sanctions.

But there are crucial caveats. If clubs can show that they are travelling in the right direction, that their losses are reducing year on year and can point to them being a result of contracts signed before June 2010 when the rules were enshrined in UEFAs rulebook, that may reduce the sanction.

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #1447
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
It is a bizarre buy. We might all be praising Dalglish when Carrol starts banging in the goals though Liverpool have started to win again but they still look fragile, don't have that swagger we expect.

Is Wenger the only sane man in top level football? When was the last time Arsenal bet the bank? And their youth system appears to actually work (Wilshire) unlike Chelsea's.

p.s. Real Madrid lost on Sunday (woo hoo).
Just found out that Carroll is injured so Liverpool have, once again, bought a twofer (attitude AND injured)....

The other new guy scored the other day so he's got off to a great start. I totally agree about the swagger - you have to go into a game expecting to win. Man U are (sadly....) masters of it. Chelsea used to have it earlier this season but have lost it - Man City have yet to find it.

Wenger is a cock....but he sure does know his shit, I'll give him that.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #1448
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

bump for today's Champions League Final

Edit: Just saw the dedicated CL thread

JNRobert screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 10:37 AM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #1449
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Rooney's (overated) overhead kick got a lot of publicity but this, imo, is superior in every way. It's just not the finish but the setup and Oscar taking two players out looks intentional to me. Breathtaking.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: