Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
PinkRims OP
Art Major...

Oddometer: 65
Snow+Sport Bike tires

Sport Bikes are not mopeds...
Mopeds are not sport bikes...
Easy concept right?
Well this morning despite the fact that we had 3 to 5 in of snow on the radar I thought it would be a great time to drive the motorcycle to school as it is way easier to park. I mean after all I see mopeds driving around even with a ton of snow on the ground! If they can do it so can I!

Nothing in my brain went hey, you don't have knobs on your tires... like none at all, you have nice smooth pavement griping fun bands. Even the moped with the flat tire wore down to the cords has more grip in the snow then you do. Not to mention the fact that it only has 50 monster cc's to handle so clutch control is not as big a deal...

Strangely these fun bands where not so good on the snow covered traffic filled roads. Despite this only once did she take a nap in traffic and when she went over she made a nice show of doing it that I had time to walk off and look at her laying in the cold wet muck of the street. For some reason the truck behind me thought I needed a trailer. But since I was only going to the parking lot less then half a block away I politely declined. So she is taking a nice cool snow covered rest to think about what she did wrong by starting this morning. And will eventually get awakened for a nice non-eventful trailer ride to the shop for a much needed tire change.

P.S. Bus passes are pretty awesome.
P.P.S. Maybe I should get a moped...
Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM   #2
JettPilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Count yourself lucky. You know this could have turned out a LOT worse, falling over at speed, and hurting yourself.... I am glad this happened, as it is a free lesson for you with no real damage done !

WARNING: In snow, knobs don't matter much, you will have much the same result. Riding a motorcycle in snow is just asking for a crash and injury, and damage to your bike. Tires with knobs, etc, will not be enough to ever make it safe to ride a sport bike in snow. And then there is always the ice patch under the snow that is impossible to see... Like I say, you got your free lesson, be smart and don't ride in snow. No matter what tires you have, it will end badly....

Mopeds: I really would not even ride one of these in snow, its obviously better than a sport bike, but still not a good idea. I used to ride our little 50 CC dirt bike in the snow, and drift it around corners, just because it was so small and light I could hold it up while sliding my feet on the ground. It was great fun, and good training, but it also burned into my mind just how very easy it is to get a bike sliding and out of control on snow and ice.

Mike

JettPilot screwed with this post Yesterday at 04:02 AM
JettPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #3
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Count yourself lucky. You know this could have turned out a LOT worse, falling over at speed, and hurting yourself.... I am glad this happened, as it is a free lesson for you with no real damage done !

WARNING: In snow, knobs don't matter much, you will have much the same result. Riding a motorcycle in snow is just asking for a crash and injury, and damage to your bike. Tires with knobs, etc, will not be enough to ever make it safe to ride a sport bike in snow. And then there is always the ice patch under the snow that is impossible to see... Like I say, you got your free lesson, be smart and don't ride in snow. No matter what tires you have, it will end badly....

Mopeds: I really would not even ride one of these in snow, its obviously better than a sport bike, but still not a good idea. I used to ride our little 50 CC dirt bike in the snow, and drift it around corners, just because it was so small and light I could hold it up while sliding my feet on the ground. It was great fun, and good training, but it also burned into my mind just how very easy it is to get a bike sliding and out of control on snow and ice.

Mike
I would amend this to say - be smart and don't ride your street bike on the roads and highways in snow with bald tires. I've spent many happy hours riding my knobbied dirt bikes in the snow and enjoyed the heck out of it. Riding in deep snow is a hoot but crashes in a foot of fluff in my back pasture are a different story than biffing in traffic on a city street. You can get studded tires that work very well indeed (or make them yourself, it's pretty cheap and easy) and I've ridden many miles on the roads with studded MC and bicycle tires. You can ride safely in the snow, you were just using the wrong tools and were very lucky. So, get some studs and go for it!

Doesn't this look fun??

Sometimes you get caught out and have no choice. Yes, the date stamp is correct - he's saying "this isn't the right bike for these conditions":

I'm glad you and your bike are OK.

Doug
Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM   #4
14fg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
been there done that man, the bright side is there isn't enough traction to get any speed so its all slow speed dumps...

the real sketchy part for me was the idea that I was hopeless against traffic, I couldn't stop turn or accelerate and am at the dump trucks mercy! glad you made it safe and hopefully learned a lesson!
14fg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #5
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,926
I'll just throw a +1 and a tale of my own stupidity in the ring.

Several years ago I thought it would be very bmw commercial-esque to take a ride with big fat flakes floating down. Well, those flakes were the leading edge of a squall and 10 miles later there was a solid inch covering the pavement; how I made it home without dumping it on tires well past their prime, I still have no idea...

which led me to embrace the ADVenturous spirit a few months later by riding my g/s, with knobbies at pavement psi, in a snowstorm to check out some fire/access roads. Dumping it before I was 50ft down my driveway should have been a clue. It wasn't and I spent the next 1 1/2 hours practicing how to pick up your napping bike on a mix of snow,slush,ice and frozen mud.

So, yeah- get a bus pass.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #6
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
I've ridden snow quite a number of times. It's more doable than many people realize. Very light touch on the front brake so you don't lock the wheel and have the front wash out. Very upright in the turns. Not much different than riding slime mud or wet grass.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM   #7
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,669
Eek Dont feel bad

This

Leads to this

and inevitable ends up like this at some point

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #8
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
I've ridden the last 4 years in significant snow commuting to work daily. Knobbie tires help in snow, studs help in ice, the combo is what you want for winter riding. The key is to be smooth in everything that you do. I like it because there are fewer cars on the road and the ones I do encounter give me a great deal of space.

So I will dispute what JettPilot is saying, I think you can ride in snow with relative safety, you just need to know what you're doing. I also wouldn't do it on a sport bike, you want less power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post

Mike
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #9
PinkRims OP
Art Major...

Oddometer: 65
Picked up the bike later that day.

And found out that works f350 dully 2 wheel drive with a trailer on the back is better in the snow then I thought it would be. But after driving that bike it doesn't take much...

manfromthestix
The spare xb9r that I have was used for some time as an ice bike by the previous owner. He was saying that I should toss some studded tires on it and mess around on the ice this winter. "Makes you really learn to trust your tires."
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #10
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I had taken my bike in for some service at the dealer a few weeks ago. It then snowed and turned cold, so it was stuck there. I had a small window of opportunity yesterday to bring the bike home as we had rain and warm temperatures the past weekend that melted the snow. The day started off at 45 degrees or so and rain but by the time I got out of work it was 36 degrees, windy and snowing heavy, wet flakes. The roads were still just wet, so I hopped on the bike and made it the 8 miles home okay the only problem was the low visibility due to the snow sticking to my face shield. Once I got home everything went south as I got too aggressive on the throttle riding across the backyard to the shed. My right leg was pinned underneath the bike and took me 3-4 minutes to get free. I had access to a trailer or the dealer would have delivered it but I was determined to ride it home, just to see of I could do it. Lesson learned, never again!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM   #11
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
I had taken my bike in for some service at the dealer a few weeks ago. It then snowed and turned cold, so it was stuck there. I had a small window of opportunity yesterday to bring the bike home as we had rain and warm temperatures the past weekend that melted the snow. The day started off at 45 degrees or so and rain but by the time I got out of work it was 36 degrees, windy and snowing heavy, wet flakes. The roads were still just wet, so I hopped on the bike and made it the 8 miles home okay the only problem was the low visibility due to the snow sticking to my face shield. Once I got home everything went south as I got too aggressive on the throttle riding across the backyard to the shed. My right leg was pinned underneath the bike and took me 3-4 minutes to get free. I had access to a trailer or the dealer would have delivered it but I was determined to ride it home, just to see of I could do it. Lesson learned, never again!
Sounds a little like my experience last year in reverse.
I needed to get the bike down to the dealer for winter storage and some off-season service. My driveway had snow, but the roads were relatively clear and the temps were as warm as it was likely to get, so I decided that it needed to be then or never.
Where my driveway meets the road is a steep uphill hump, I ended up with the back wheel in the snow with no traction, it slide a little to the side and that was that, and the bike took a nap (I've learned the hard way about trying to catch it). Had to get some neighbors to help in getting it upright and onto the road.
No damage and I got it down to the dealer with no further drama.
Ironically, though my tip-over resulted in no issues, it fell on the same side at the dealer's over the winter and needed some paint work before I was able to pick it up last spring (which they paid for).
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:35 AM   #12
JettPilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I would amend this to say - be smart and don't ride your street bike on the roads and highways in snow with bald tires. I've spent many happy hours riding my knobbied dirt bikes in the snow and enjoyed the heck out of it. Riding in deep snow is a hoot but crashes in a foot of fluff in my back pasture are a different story than biffing in traffic on a city street.
Riding in snow in traffic will NEVER be safe, it is just plain stupid. There is a huge difference between riding on the street in traffic, and riding in a pasture full of deep snow, with dirt underneath that you can get some limited traction in with knobbies. Just because you can keep control of a bike in snow on the street most of the time does NOT make it safe or a good idea. Hit a snow covered patch of ice, and you are most likely going down, knobbies or not. Falling over on a dirt bike runs the risk of breaking bones, then you are not riding at all for quite a while... Riding in traffic is requires a lot of care and attention in the best of conditions. In snow, your stopping power is a small fraction of what it normally is, same for the cars around you. What about idiots in cars that will be sliding all over the place, you going to have the traction to stop, or avoid them quickly when one unexpectedly slides your way ??? Just because some and ride on the street in snow and keep the bike upright most of the time does NOT make it a good idea, in reality it is plain STUPID.

I understand being hard core and wanting to ride all time, but you sure as heck wont be riding if you are messed up in the hospital, or in a cast. Be smart, don't ride on the street in snow.

Mike
JettPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #13
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 589
Did it when I had to as a 20 year old in the UK. 125cc bike with street tyres on.

Fun? at times but usually only when you got to work or got home and looked back on the ride. Dropped the bike a ton of times but it was back roads so traffic was light. Had to 'lay her down' quite a few times when I had too much momentum to make a bend in the road.

Actually, thinking back on my first skiing experience there are many similarities

Wouldn't do it now but then I have a 4 wheel drive and a two wheel drive with winter tyres on; back then ALL I had was the bike.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #14
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Riding a bike in the snow? A challenge.

Riding a sportbike in the snow with sportbike tires? - An Adventure!

Everyone should try it once. :)

Glad ya came out of it in one piece. There is no shortage of motorcycles in snow and ice taking naps. You're not alone. ;)
Old Today, 07:35 AM   #15
hardtarge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
meh if you really really wana. . . trailer the bike to the nearest ice covered lake. IF you see houses and trucks out there i'd stay to on the plowed ice roads.

BONUS have someone take some video as a lesson for everyone else

i think the biggest challenge is the inconsistent traction you have in snow/ice
hardtarge is offline   Reply With Quote