Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
How old were you when you realized you could no longer ride a.....

Sport bike or and maybe even a sport touring bike. When you found that the forward position was to much for your wrists or back. That the bike was really heavy. It had to much power or more than you felt like you wanted to deal with.

That all These factors and more had come into play and you found yourself an old man or woman....who after a long ride or even a day ride sadly discovered your beloved bike no longer suited your ageing body.

and what bike was it? And you moved onto ....what?
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #2
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
I'm in my 50s. Havent ridden a sportbike on the street in 7 years. Still have one for the track. For me it wasnt about age. It was the simple fact that I can ride a taller bike all day just as fast and be more comfortable.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
I'm in my 50s. Havent ridden a sportbike on the street in 7 years. Still have one for the track. For me it wasnt about age. It was the simple fact that I can ride a taller bike all day just as fast and be more comfortable.
My story is pretty close to this. I could still ride a sport bike but decided long ago it wasn't comfortable enough to enjoy for any distance. I recently was considering getting another sport bike but after riding an FZ8 and Versys in the same day I went with a Versys.

I also decided long ago that I preferred smaller and lighter bikes. At one time I owned a Yamaha Venture 1200 and FJ1100. I have been downsizing ever since. The bike that I ride the most often these days is my little 150cc scooter.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
johnwoodsrides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
46. 2 bulging discs in my neck and 1 in lower back. It was the neck that forced me into a more upright seating position, not the wrists or back so much. My 950 SM can be pushed pretty hard in the corners, but doesn't have the top end speed of a sport bike. Probably a good thing
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,364
In my 50's and my current sportbike's a GSXR 600.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
Warrior55
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking Too old to ride?

I'm 64 and still ride almost daily, even in the winter. However, I gave up riding sport bikes in the early 80's and now ride a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750 because it fits my body like a glove. I am 5' 5" and have short legs and cannot ride taller bikes well because my feet have trouble reaching the ground.

Although I would like to have more power I really don't need it. My Aero 750 will cruise ar 85mph all day long and will top out at around 100mph (if I remove the windshield and get into a proper tuck).

I know others who are a lot older and more infirm than I am and still ride. One of my friends is about my age, walks with 2 canes and rides a HD Road King.

My advice, if you still want to ride, is to look around for a bike that will fit you. Then ride till you end up in a "pine box". This will allow you to "live" instead of just "existing". It sure beats riding a rocking chair!

Warrior55 screwed with this post 01-26-2015 at 09:30 AM
Warrior55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,447
Well said, Warrior55.

I will be 69 this Thursday and this is the bike that fits me best. I do about 10k miles a year. I have done 400, 500 and 700 mile days and am not beat up at the end.

Small, light and enough power for me.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 298
Never been on a true sport bike, but at 53 my VFR is still comfortable. Wrists and back aren't an issue, but I have a bad hip. Not a problem on the bike, but can be a problem getting off at the end of a long day.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
Rags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I'll be 75 in June and last August I bought a '14 BMW S1000R, now at 6000 miles. Only problem is my right hand and elbow carpel tunnel acts up on the downhill side of the mountains. No more SCMA 3 Flags rides but life is still good.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
I'll be 55 in June, two things have kept me off of sport bikes pretty much all of my 42 years of owning/riding motorcycles. My physical size, and more importantly, my inability to control the urge to constantly use all of the power underneath me.

Put 100 miles on a CBR1100XX Blackbird back in '00, haven't been on a sport bike since. At one point I looked down, and saw the needle passing 145 mph indicated. Let the front wheel down a few times over 100mph as well. Just too easy for me to ride way too fast for the street.

I enjoy pushing the limits of slower bikes, it's a lot more fun, and challenging than trying to push the limits on faster, better handling bikes. The saying that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow (in relation to it's designed capabilities) holds true for me on the street.
YMMV as always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Back in 1993 an older (60ish) co-worker bought a 92 Concours and let me ride it. I loved the power it had. I found a great deal on an exactly the same bike and bought it. This was when I was 27. I had been riding for 3 years at that point. I kept the bike for only one year. The forward leaning weight on wrists riding position wasn't for me. I rode standard bikes and touring bikes after that. In 2003 I looked at getting a Honda Nighthwawk. I loved the bike but that night I had a very bad back ache for the new two days because of the way I was leaned forward. The nighthawk doesn't have an extreme forward lean but it does have some lean. I spent the next 10 years on cruisers because I didn't like anything with a forward riding position. Last year I bought an 05 V-Strom. I initially had some back aches but they went away with more seat time. I did add risers to take weight off my wrists. I'm happy with the V-Stroms riding position but still won't ride anything that puts my upper body weight on my wrists. I'm 48 now. I don't understand why most manufactures put so much forward lean on their bikes.
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 743
The only problem I have with my Buell is I want to change the bars. They put my wrists at a bad angle and makes my elbows stick out to compensate. Then I want to change the bars on my Harley, they hit the fairing, and add a backrest. Those are the things that don't agree with my "old age" of 40.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
baka1969
Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer: 31
I've had back issues for decades. I've tried on multiple occasions since I started riding street bikes in the 90s and never could get comfortable on a forward leaning riding position. It's a shame as there are many bikes I wouldn't mind having.
baka1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
tallnbig68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Age 16 if you must know,
Have never been able to ride what may be termed a sportbike.
I am just way too physically big by height and height. Even at age 16, very tall and about 3/4 my present weight of 400 pounds. Would expect tall thin basketball players to have the same problem.

Decided to not then ride, postponed the activity for about 15 years, then a slash 5 BMW with a sidecar. It lasted me into the early 1980's when a Honda Goldwing took its place. Both machines were modified to accept my size and weight.

A friend had me sit on his 1000 cc BMW sportbike a while ago.
The tires were properly inflated as well and the shocks set
on their highest reading.
I bottomed the shocks, the tires appeared deflated, and the bike disappeared under my physical bulk.

These days drive a large pick me up truck, if only for comfort and no longer do i ride.
Motorcycles are manufactured for physically small, normal sized people.
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #15
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 168
Pissed

I am 67 I have trouble with my hips The leaned forward position is not good for me. When my nephew came with a ZZR 1200 I still took it out. We dont really have corners here in El Paso so Ijust went TOO fast on some straight roads then returned it . I couldnt make a long ride crouched down.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote