Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #1561
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyindigo
This seems to be a common theme for me:

After riding this evening, I was sitting at the bar having dinner and a beer. My jacket was hung over the back of my chair, and I was still wearing riding pants and boots, my helmet was beside me. A guy walks up to me (I am a woman - just to clarify) and asks, "Are you with the guy on the dual sport out back?"

I bat my eyes lovingly, "I am the gal on the dual sport out back."

He looks a little perplexed and says, "Oh, so YOU RODE here?!?"

Me (with a smile on my face and a joking tone), "Nahhh...I find it is much more fun to just push the bike - up hill is especially challenging."

We actually had a decent conversation after that...but day-um, why is it so hard for some guys to believe that women actually ride...all by ourselves?
Let me explain this to you from a man's perspective:

You see a sexy chick at the bar.
You decide you want to make a move.
You don't want to waste your time if she's with someone, particularly if that someone is a big, hard, hairy biker.
Not wishing to waste time, you effectively ask her whether she's on her own.
When you get the answer you hoped for, you pretend to be surprised and impressed.
This gets the conversation off to a good start.

Maybe you knew all this.

Edit: But was he wasting his time? No matter, sometimes the fun is in what you think is a hunt, even if you'll never catch the prey.

SpitfireTriple screwed with this post 04-10-2010 at 01:16 AM
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:29 AM   #1562
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple

You don't want to waste your time if she's with someone, particularly if that someone is a big, hard, hairy biker.
When you get the answer you hoped for, you pretend to be surprised and impressed.

Maybe you knew all this.

Edit: But was he wasting his time? No matter, sometimes the fun is in what you think is a hunt, even if you'll never catch the prey.
Just to preserve it for Linkweewee's online dating thread.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #1563
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple

Maybe you knew all this.

Thank you Spitfire. I do get (generally) mens' silly ways of starting a conversation - though I may not always understand them. However, why did the first line have to be semi-insultatory? I am by no means a femi-nazi, but sheez! Why not just ask if that is my bike out back, and if I am waiting for someone? I really like finesse when on a bike - not so much in a pick up line. And, I really don't bite...too hard.
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #1564
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyindigo
Why not just ask if that is my bike out back, and if I am waiting for someone? I really like finesse when on a bike - not so much in a pick up line. And, I really don't bite...too hard.
I'll bet it challenges some guy's egos and they are more clutzy than usual, which may be considerable to begin with. I'm usually reluctant to say anything because I figure a gal has heard every line available and anything I say might sound like just another pick up attempt.

It is of course, I just don't want it to sound that way.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #1565
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper ST4
I'll bet it challenges some guy's egos and they are more clutzy than usual, which may be considerable to begin with. I'm usually reluctant to say anything because I figure a gal has heard every line available and anything I say might sound like just another pick up attempt.

It is of course, I just don't want it to sound that way.
Or,,, Just make it sound obviously that way, and unless there's something wrong with her she'll laugh, and you've let her know exactly why you're approaching her in the 1st place.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #1566
Sink
Stay Off The Slab

Oddometer: 907
Who Makes That

Stopped at a roadside peanut stand when I rode a Ducati ST3.

Guy says, "Ducati... who makes that?"
Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #1567
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sink
Stopped at a roadside peanut stand when I rode a Ducati ST3.

Guy says, "Ducati... who makes that?"
Next time say KTM.

42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #1568
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
When I got insurance on me Moto Guzzi Convert the agent I normally deal with was out for the day so the agent filling in argued with me that the title was wrong and my fancy sports car title should read Convertable.
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #1569
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
Next time say KTM.
Then theyre gonna say "Ive never heard of KTM"

"It's like the BMW of motorcycles"
Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #1570
Reddane
Circling pi

Oddometer: 762
I stopped off for gas at the local Stop 'n Rob last Tuesday and a guy in a stained wife-beater walks up to me. "Hey der buddy, is dat der one o 'dem Bee Ayum Dubbayuh crawtch rahkets?", he drooled out between his 'hagen and days old beard. I replied, "Yes sir, it's a BMW, but it's more of a cruiser then a crotch rocket", wondering how he could mistake a r1200r for a sportbike.

"Wayull, I juz wanded dah ask, id remindah meh of an ol my cousern used tah have" he said, as the local police came by and slowly traversed the parking lot. "Cool, well, I hope you have a good afternoon" I mumbled and shook his hand. He said thanks and went back to his brown rusted Datsun with the ruined springs.

Nice enough guy, but I couldn't figure out a) Yes, it's a bmw bike (whoopee), b) the R's don't exactly look like a sportbike. ??? Plus, he left out words in his sentences, it made it difficult to understand him. I guess he was just lonely and looking for someone to talk with.

File this one under strange encounters with people for 10.00 Alex..
Old 04-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #1571
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289
Then theyre gonna say "Ive never heard of KTM"

"It's like the BMW of motorcycles"
Exactly.

42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #1572
Narrdo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm2727
Questions from riders and non riders

Person "What kinda bike is that?
Me... Caponord
Person "a what?"
Me ..An Aprilia...its Italian
Person ...Ah ok...(still confused)

ADV riders
"Oh man a Caponord!... always wanted to see one" Do you Like it?"

Dirt bike riders

"Man you take that thing off road"

LEO
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Its all good...except the LEO part
Being a LEO, I would have stopped you and went with "oh man a caponord!.. always wanted to see one Can I ride it?
Narrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #1573
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,877
I took my bike to work for the first time today. I felt like I was living in this thread! All sorts of stupid questions. But I did realized that most people just wanted to have a conversation but didn't know how to start it up without saying saying stupid like "oh, look at the helmet on your desk - did you ride your bike to work?"

I even had one coworker say that, and then correct herself by saying "I guess that helmet would be overkill for driving your car." Good for her!

The best was when I was in the parking lot getting ready to go. I'm sitting on my BMW K75 and a coworker says "Look at you on on the HOG." A BMW is hog??????

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #1574
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88
I took my bike to work for the first time today. I felt like I was living in this thread! All sorts of stupid questions. But I did realized that most people just wanted to have a conversation but didn't know how to start it up without saying saying stupid like "oh, look at the helmet on your desk - did you ride your bike to work?"

I even had one coworker say that, and then correct herself by saying "I guess that helmet would be overkill for driving your car." Good for her!

The best was when I was in the parking lot getting ready to go. I'm sitting on my BMW K75 and a coworker says "Look at you on on the HOG." A BMW is hog??????
I found that the motorcycle is a real conversation starter, no matter what sort of ride you are on, the more unusual the better. I often had bloke's my age, 61, look at my bike, 990 adv, and start with a well worn line, when i was younger, i used to have this or that, but when i got married, had to give up the bike. I usually say that i rather give up the wife than the bike and would have done so for the past 40 and over year's that i've been riding. I often ask what's stopping them getting a motorcycle now and you can tell some of them start thinking, why not, i reckon i've made few convert's out there, people just neeed a bit of a push sometime's!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #1575
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88
...I realized that most people just wanted to have a conversation but didn't know how to start it ...
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi
I found that the motorcycle is a real conversation starter, no matter what sort of ride you are on, the more unusual the better. I often had blokes my age, 61, look at my bike, 990 adv, and start with a well worn line, when i was younger, i used to have this or that, but when i got married, had to give up the bike. I usually say that i rather give up the wife than the bike and would have done so for the past 40 and over year's that i've been riding. I often ask what's stopping them getting a motorcycle now and you can tell some of them start thinking, why not, i reckon i've made few convert's out there, people just need a bit of a push sometimes!
+1
Though for age 61, read 48. It's probably true of any age above 30.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote