Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #1576
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdlboy
while stopped trying to determine what was making that god awful noise on my DRZ (it was a chain roller), a few guys on HDs sporting colours asked why I hadn't bought a "real bike" instead of a rice burner? Given the location at the time and the colours they were sporting (HA), I chose not to respond. Still thought it was a stupid question...
I've been asked that one before by Bikers and I always reply the same...
Because H.D. doesn't make dirt-bikes and I'm riding to the woods not to the bar.
Believe it or not, they usually respect that kind of answer and the fact that you had backbone.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #1577
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
I've been asked that one before by Bikers and I always reply the same...
Because H.D. doesn't make dirt-bikes and I'm riding to the woods not to the bar.
Believe it or not, they usually respect that kind of answer and the fact that you had backbone.

Awhile back while on the Ural, a chaps 'n' conchos type gave me the "real bike" remark at a gas station. He was smiling when he said it, so I figured it was just good-natured ribbing. I said "my bike's an underpowered, air-cooled twin with WWII technology that leaks oil and has sketchy reliability; what more do you want?"

He got a pretty good laugh out of it.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #1578
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Good one. But the pleasure of being able to say it isn't enough to prompt me to go out and buy a Ural
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #1579
johnnuke
Submariner

Oddometer: 197
While stopped at a red light a car pulls up next to me, the driver happily texting (as he had been for the last 6 blocks).

Him: Nice bike man (still texting).

Me: Thanks. It's almost as nice as the my last one, before it got hit by some guy screwing around with his cell phone.

Him: Uh, oh, uh, um, ya, sorry (puts down the phone).

Light turns green. I leave.

-Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell.-

-I already pay a health insurance tax. Every 6 months they charge me $130 for running shoes.-
johnnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #1580
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Way to raise awareness.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #1581
aplaceinspace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I was grabbing lunch on the way to class, wearing my jacket and carrying my helmet:

Cafeteria worker #1: Do you ride a crotch rocket?
Me: No, it's actually called a "standard style". It's a Honda CB750.
Cafeteria worker #2: So, a cruiser.
Me: No, very much not a cruiser.
Cafeteria worker #2: Yup, cruiser.
Me:
Old 04-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #1582
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88
I took my bike to work for the first time today... ...But I did realized that most people just wanted to have a conversation but didn't know how to start it up without saying saying stupid like "oh, look at the helmet on your desk - did you ride your bike to work?"
Some years ago my sister had twins (yikes, they're 15 now!).

Now everyone knows that you're supposed to have a conversation with the new mum about her babies.

And everyone knows that the first question you ask is:
"boy or girl?"

And my sister would answer, "one of each".

And then because they're twins, they know they're supposed to ask:
"Are they identical?"

My sister developed a range of entertaining answers to this one. My favourite was "all except he's got a ...".

She even had one guy try to insist identical twins could be of different genders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88
I even had one coworker say that, and then correct herself by saying "I guess that helmet would be overkill for driving your car."
One of my friends actually followed "Are they identical?" with "I can't believe I just said that" before my sister managed to answer. These people, who are smart enough to feel stupid, are actually the smart ones!

Basically dumb formula questions aren't about a desire to know something but not thinking about it first; they're a conversation starter, said without much thought to their content. That's why so many people asked my sister if her twin son and daughter were identical, and its why some many people ask the same simple but not very bright questions at the petrol station when they just want to admire your bike (everyone used to ride once) / boat (they all know boats are for fishing) / Morris Minor (everyone's grandmother had one).

What other formula situation/dumb questions have we all experienced?

When I went to Ohio and met suburban suicide deer I finally understood why Americans ask... - No, we do not have kangaroos hopping down the streets in suburban Australia. 8-)
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #1583
Eso Teric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
Some years ago my sister had twins (yikes, they're 15 now!).

Now everyone knows that you're supposed to have a conversation with the new mum about her babies.

And everyone knows that the first question you ask is:
"boy or girl?"

And my sister would answer, "one of each".

And then because they're twins, they know they're supposed to ask:
"Are they identical?"

My sister developed a range of entertaining answers to this one. My favourite was "all except he's got a ...".

She even had one guy try to insist identical twins could be of different genders.

One of my friends actually followed "Are they identical?" with "I can't believe I just said that" before my sister managed to answer. These people, who are smart enough to feel stupid, are actually the smart ones!

Basically dumb formula questions aren't about a desire to know something but not thinking about it first; they're a conversation starter, said without much thought to their content. That's why so many people asked my sister if her twin son and daughter were identical, and its why some many people ask the same simple but not very bright questions at the petrol station when they just want to admire your bike (everyone used to ride once) / boat (they all know boats are for fishing) / Morris Minor (everyone's grandmother had one).

What other formula situation/dumb questions have we all experienced?

When I went to Ohio and met suburban suicide deer I finally understood why Americans ask... - No, we do not have kangaroos hopping down the streets in suburban Australia. 8-)
Never actually thought of it that way, nice "outside the box" thinking. You are absolutely smack on, I think back a little now on some 'dumb' questions i must have asked, non-bike related, like talking to a neighbour: "mowing the lawn huh" when it's quite obvious (he's on a tractor cause it's a few acres haha), or getting pulled up by the police "driving to work today huh" (usually they pull me up on the bike , i live in a rural area so i know them well), it is purely a convo starter.

I feel a little abashed now, when i used to groan at people from work asking whether i rode to work today ... whilst carrying a helmet etc!

Nice way of putting some stupid questions into perspective

Cheers
Eso

Anonymous
-Modern society is forcing the Darwinian process to become redundant

Eso Teric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #1584
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
For me, the most asked question... "How fast does that thing go?" no matter which bike I've ever been on. As if I'm going to lay down on the tank and do a full Bonneville speed run to test her out.

On the airhead people used to say "Wow, I didn't know BMW made motorcycles".

One guy at a stop light..."Hey, what's that big thing down by your foot?"

"Uhm, a cylinder."

"Oh. Is there one on the other side?"

"Uhm, no. This is a five hundred. The one thousands have one on each side."
Old 04-18-2010, 05:49 AM   #1585
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Sitting on my KTM:

"Hey is that a Kawasaki?"

"Yep"....
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #1586
Rwells
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
Chatting with a weekend warrior on a cruiser next to me as the ferry approaches the dock:

Him: "I've never ridden a BMW. I hear they're the Cadillac of motorcycles."
I had a guy on a Goldwing pull up beside me and start chit chatting, he said the same thing (he had so many lights on that thing I thought it was a christmas tree) I told him "no it's the "BMW" of motorcycles". Light turned, I was gone.
Rwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #1587
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,132
This one wasn't stupid, but I'm too lazy to start a Funny Questions People Ask You thread.

Security guy at the front desk as I walked in wearing my two-piece RoadCrafter: "That thing bullet-proof?"

Me, with a chuckle: "Just about."

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #1588
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 270
I pull into a parking lot recently in Yorba Linda (I'm lost but that's another story) and a guy with 2 kids pulls in next to me.

My bike is a flat black DL650 with all the stickers removed, black topcase and black sidecases.

Kid #1 - Cool bike
Me - Thanks
Kid #2 - Cook bike
Me - Thanks
Dad - It's a batbike kids, cool huh?
Me:
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #1589
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,398
My dad bought a new CX500 when they came out in 1978. An other bike pulled along side him and said "How do you like that V8?"

David
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #1590
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy
I pull into a parking lot recently in Yorba Linda (I'm lost but that's another story) and a guy with 2 kids pulls in next to me.

My bike is a flat black DL650 with all the stickers removed, black topcase and black sidecases.

Kid #1 - Cool bike
Me - Thanks
Kid #2 - Cook bike
Me - Thanks
Dad - It's a batbike kids, cool huh?
Me:
Dad's a NERD!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote