Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #1606
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso Teric
I think, although not 100% on this, that a "crotch rocket" is a "rice burner" what you and i would normally hear as a term, and yes i guess it could be derogatory, if you owned a Hayabusa though you could then turn around and mention that it does over 300km/h (186 mp/h), has approximately 172HP at the rear wheel, weighs in at about 260kg or 573lbs, redlines at 11,000 RPM has a rear wheel bigger than most off roaders and that the acceleration feels like you have "rockets attached to your crotch" and is certainly not for boys.
...Except that by stating this to the pirate, are you not rising to his bait? You are defending your choice of machine to some old fart on a HDTM who wears his wife's panties under his GENUINE trousers. Sod that for a game of soldiers. I don't have to defend my choice of machine to anyone. Least of all some sad twit who thinks that he's special 'cause he rides an HDTM, so sad in fact, he feels a need to try and put one over me, a total stranger.

I pity such folk. But am compassionate in my pity.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #1607
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
And similar responses.
Ah, this changes things somewhat. But are you sure you don't think "Crotch rocket" is (or at least, started life as) a derogatory term? You might well not regard it as an insult, because you are quite happy with your watercooled, plastic-faired modern machine (as am I). It's just that, reading through this thread in particular, most of the people asking about your "crotch rocket" seem to be doing so in a snide way.
I think some people consider it derogatory, namely "get a real bike" HD riders or "your gonna kill yourself" stuck in the muds. I first heard it back in the 80's referring to high powered 2 wheeled rockets you sat on, namely faired supersports. It was somewhat derogatory in that those kids were going to kill themselves on that "crotch-rocket". However it was also envious of the speed for those who desired them.

Now ofcourse cruisers are so common that no bikers lump nearly all other bikes into one category, "crotch-rockets". Plus to the uninformed it is hard to tell the difference between a Connie, Haybusa, ZX-10 and Ninja 250r. Sure they are different models, but are they not all the same style. Ofcourse companies like Kawasaki naming models like the 250r and 650r with the same name as the ZX-6 and ZX-10 race replicas, and the ZX-14 hypersport does not help the public differentiate them either.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #1608
mi500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
didnt realize i would start a big debate here. But in this situation i really dont think she was trying to be derogitory to me, just a young girl trying to make small talk about things she didnt know about.

89 CR500R
mi500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #1609
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi500
didnt realize i would start a big debate here.
Oh c'mon. This is ADVRider where men are boys and the women are men.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #1610
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
I don't know, when I hear the term crotch rocket from a cute young girl, it's not necessarily a motorcycle that comes to mind.

Having said that, I usually hear the term from people who have little understanding of motorcycles, though I believe the term was previously derogatory refering to the type of bikes that are piloted by squids (yet another term I didn't know was derogatory until I was enlightened by the collective wisdom of the ADV clan)...
Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #1611
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-rock
Not a stupid question but a stupid answer:

I ride all year round regardles the weather, a coworker keep bragging about his Harley but he only brought it to work a couple of times. I asked him why wasn't riding it to work.

Him: - It's a Harley.....
Me: - Ok.... so?
Him: - It will get dirty, then I'll have to clean the chrome....
I ride with an informal group that uses meetup.com for communication. A ride was announced and people asks to respond if they were planning to participate. One cruiser owner responded with 'I'll be there unless there is a possibility of rain. Ten minutes in rain costs me five hours of polishing'.

I'm like WTF???? But on reflection I supposed that some cruiser riders have the same philosophy as the U.S. Air Force: "Looking good is a full time job".
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #1612
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas
I ride with an informal group that uses meetup.com for communication. A ride was announced and people asks to respond if they were planning to participate. One cruiser owner responded with 'I'll be there unless there is a possibility of rain. Ten minutes in rain costs me five hours of polishing'.

I'm like WTF???? But on reflection I supposed that some cruiser riders have the same philosophy as the U.S. Air Force: "Looking good is a full time job".
Those types are to referred to as "deluxe riders" in my part of the world. Quite often they can be heard complaining if the ride goes longer than 200kms, or more than one tank of fuel.

Crotch-rocket has always been a bit of a put down. "Rocket" referring to a sports bike, which is ok in itself, but add the "crotch" part and you're making reference to said riders opinion of themselves aboard said rocket.

The smaller sports bikes, such as 250r's and 400r's, are often called "pocket-rockets". Thats usually a good thing.

But if theres a pocket-rocket with an open, noisy pipe then the only term for the rider is "wanker."

Wow it gets complicated when you have to explain it...
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #1613
iamtheric
Machinists Mate

Oddometer: 30
pocket rockets where i come from refer to those ridiculously small clown bikes.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #1614
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon
I enjoy when people come out, minus the teenage boys begging to let them ride.

Sadly, I never get anyone actually coming up to ask about my Bandit. I've got it stripped naked and have a Cyclops headlight on it, and some other parts that made it hard to tell what it is, especially being painted matte black and being debadged. I just get odd looks.

On the Sherpa, it gets hard to leave a gas station as everyone comes up to me, little boys and girls thinking it's awesome, their parents trying to tell me it's illegal to ride (you know, because it doesn't have a license plate, turn signals, a horn, headlight, and taillight), moped riders thinking it's cool that such a small bike can be so versatile and not scare with them with weight or power, bigger dual sport come up to say they wish they had something small and light to throw around, metric cruiser guys come up to always mention how they started riding off road dirt bikes and then small cc on-road bikes, but are getting too old and so ride what their wives can be comfortable on the back of, Harley riders make a joke about me growing up and getting one of their bikes someday, and pure sportbike riders tend to keep to themselves.

I like the Bandit stripped naked. Awesome bikes!

Off-topic, that looks like a CSVT in your pic. Love those cars! Wife and I are proud owners of a '98, #765.
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #1615
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
When my friend from Ohio was out here in Aus we did a fair bit of sightseeing. Now we actually have feral Sambar deer in the mountains east of Melbourne, but I'd certainly never seen one. My mental concept of a deer was pretty much what you've got eating your gardens and trying to take down motorcyclists in Ohio.

So when we came around a corner on a winding dirt road near Gembrook and found ourselves face to face with a Sambar deer the size of a horse standing at the edge of the road, I was stunned - and she was "meh, it's a deer, where are the kangaroos?".

Graham

Sambar deer in Australia.
360kg (800lbs) gets it out past "deer" and close to "Elk" territory, but still nowhere near "Moose" or "Buffalo".

Then there's bears. A friend who lives on one of the islands in Puget Sound said he was riding to work one morning and realized he was being paced by a brown bear.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #1616
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward
360kg (800lbs) gets it out past "deer" and close to "Elk" territory, but still nowhere near "Moose" or "Buffalo".

Then there's bears. A friend who lives on one of the islands in Puget Sound said he was riding to work one morning and realized he was being paced by a brown bear.
Your friend was pulling your leg.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #1617
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheric
pocket rockets where i come from refer to those ridiculously small clown bikes.
'Round these parts that term has nothing to do with motorcycles.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #1618
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr
Most people in my area refer to just about anything not a cruiser or dirt bike as a crotch rocket. They even call my Strom a crotch rocket.
The most common comment's I get on the Strom are
1- "What the hell is that thing?"
2- "Do you ever wash it?"

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #1619
mellowdave
Красное октябрь

Oddometer: 153
You know, I mostly ride a 996, and I dont commute on it, so Im not out every day with the road warriors, but the things that really chap my *ss are that any time I'm stopped getting gas, someone comes up to me, and I never mind talking about the bike, it gets alot of attention, but then they ALWAYS feel compelled to tell me about uncle/cousin/nephew jim.

Jim is that guy that died/lost a leg/is in a chair due to his motorcycle "not his judgement". ESPECIALLY if I mention that I have kids. You'd think I was selling meth. The fact that I jump out of airplanes, spend long periods of time with angry Muslims shooting at me, doesnt bother them, but riding a motorcycle is un forgiveable. It always makes me laugh when I ride away. You know, if you ever ask about 'ol uncle Jim, you find that he was not trained, not equipped, and "got liquored up and naked while he did wheelies down the access road."

Its not always that extreme obviously, but the vast majority of the time, there are extenuating circumstances (liquor, protective gear, anger) in these stories, and somehow, I am lumped in with these people.

(dont get me wrong, Im not saying all accidents are due to irresponsible behavior, Im just exaggerating to make a point)

2000 Ducati 996::Several XRs
mellowdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #1620
mngl1500
[]

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas

Riding in the rain is how my Goldwing gets washed....
mngl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote