Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #1621
ldsgeek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngl1500
Riding in the rain is how my Goldwing gets washed....
Amen to that. Whatever Mother Nature doesn't wash off belongs there (and why bother washing when you can be riding).
ldsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #1622
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

Oddometer: 141
I get more questioning stares then anything else and the look, to me at least, seems to say: "WTF is that?" Because the pipe I have makes the bike a bit louder then normal, people will turn at the sound and look, so I can enjoy seeing that look grow stronger as I get close.

But if people have said anything, it's usually:

1- "Is that thing a mountain bike?"

2- "Does it have gears?"

3- (city bus driver, out his window, from across the street)
"Hey! What is that? What's it called?"

"A Sachs MadAss"

"What's it called?"

"A MadAss!"

"Huh?"

"MADASS!!" (yelling it on a crowded downtown street in rush hour)

"What is that again?"

"It's a motorcycle!"

The MadAss Army: www.madassarmy.com
milwaukeemadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #1623
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdave
You know, I mostly ride a 996, and I dont commute on it, so Im not out every day with the road warriors, but the things that really chap my *ss are that any time I'm stopped getting gas, someone comes up to me, and I never mind talking about the bike, it gets alot of attention, but then they ALWAYS feel compelled to tell me about uncle/cousin/nephew jim.

Jim is that guy that died/lost a leg/is in a chair due to his motorcycle "not his judgement". ESPECIALLY if I mention that I have kids. You'd think I was selling meth. The fact that I jump out of airplanes, spend long periods of time with angry Muslims shooting at me, doesnt bother them, but riding a motorcycle is un forgiveable. It always makes me laugh when I ride away. You know, if you ever ask about 'ol uncle Jim, you find that he was not trained, not equipped, and "got liquored up and naked while he did wheelies down the access road."

Its not always that extreme obviously, but the vast majority of the time, there are extenuating circumstances (liquor, protective gear, anger) in these stories, and somehow, I am lumped in with these people.

(dont get me wrong, Im not saying all accidents are due to irresponsible behavior, Im just exaggerating to make a point)
It's funny isn't it, in other situations in life, strangers do not feel the need to come over, make a remark, then follow it up with a statement to the effect that they are more sensible than you. There can be only one explanation for this: Secretly, they'd like to be a biker. Because they're not a biker, they feel they have to justify it to themselves - and to bikers us like us they see at filling stations.

Plus one BTW re taking responsibility for accidents/collisions. If a car driver pulls out in front of me and I hit him (never happened yet, thank Brain), I blame myself for failing to anticipate his manoeuver. I won't tell him that, nor the police, nor the insurance companies. But that's what I tell myself. Blaming ourselves is the only way to improve our vigilance for the next time.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #1624
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
It's funny isn't it, in other situations in life, strangers do not feel the need to come over, make a remark, then follow it up with a statement to the effect that they are more sensible than you. There can be only one explanation for this: Secretly, they'd like to be a biker. Because they're not a biker, they feel they have to justify it to themselves - and to bikers us like us they see at filling stations.
I don't know about that, smokers get abused about how they're wrecking their health, and it's not because the person secretly wants to smoke either.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #1625
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
Every month I go into the local Pharmacy to pick up my prescription, and EVERY time the same Pharmacist looks at me in my riding gear and asks "You're not the one that keeps doing wheelies up and down the streets around here, are you?"

At first, I laughed and said I couldn't do a wheelie on my bike if my life depended on it. Now I just restrain a frustrated sigh and say "nope, not me."
Old 04-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #1626
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 979
Stopped to pick up some caffeinated goodness on the way into the office this morning. Someone actually walked up to me and asked, "Is that a Harley?"

Um...

PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #1627
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
Nothing extremely exciting - but still funny (and way too common): I pull up to get gas, dismount my bike, unlock the gas tank, take off my helmet, stretch, etc. As I put the gas nozzle into the tank an older gentleman calls out from his perch (a bench in the front of the where-ever-I-was-local gas station), "Yer not-a ridin' that thin' by yersef areye?" I honestly did not know how to respond at first. I looked around to make sure there were no other bikes in the station...(nope) maybe he was confused?? Then I just stated the obvious, "Well, I guess it looks like I am!"

fancyindigo screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 08:33 PM
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #1628
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyindigo
"Yer not-a ridin' that thin' by yersef areye?"
I would have responded: "Why, do you want to be a passenger on it? Do you have your own helmet?"
Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #1629
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle
Every month I go into the local Pharmacy to pick up my prescription, and EVERY time the same Pharmacist looks at me in my riding gear and asks "You're not the one that keeps doing wheelies up and down the streets around here, are you?"

At first, I laughed and said I couldn't do a wheelie on my bike if my life depended on it. Now I just restrain a frustrated sigh and say "nope, not me."
Since this is a regular thing for you maybe we could throw in some suggestions for responses you could try.

"No, but I could if you think it looks cool"

"Yes, but only to practice getting home in case my front wheel gets stolen."

"You're not the one that keeps asking me if I'm the one that keeps doing wheelies up and down the streets around here, every time I come in... are you?"
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #1630
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

What is really scary is your trusting this individual to properly fill your prescription.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #1631
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrtclMn001
Stopped to pick up some caffeinated goodness on the way into the office this morning. Someone actually walked up to me and asked, "Is that a Harley?"

Um...

That is a really dumb question!!

I have to ask a stupid question of my own. How do you transport your caffeinated goodness from the coffee shop to your office? I'm serious.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #1632
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Old 04-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #1633
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson
I don't know about that, smokers get abused about how they're wrecking their health, and it's not because the person secretly wants to smoke either.
Okay, you got me there
Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #1634
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Quote:

Try something else next time. Tell her "Yes, and each time I was fleeing after raiding a drugstore"

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
Since this is a regular thing for you maybe we could throw in some suggestions for responses you could try.

"No, but I could if you think it looks cool"

"Yes, but only to practice getting home in case my front wheel gets stolen."

"You're not the one that keeps asking me if I'm the one that keeps doing wheelies up and down the streets around here, every time I come in... are you?"
Oops, I should have read the following posts before responding to the OP.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #1635
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
[quote=univibe88I have to ask a stupid question of my own. How do you transport your caffeinated goodness from the coffee shop to your office? I'm serious.[/quote]On the FJR, I get them to double-cup the nectar of the gods, then it fits into the glovebox under the left handlebar.

Otherwise, I have a wide-base mug that sits in the tankbag or topbox (with other stuff to hold it from sliding around.

If I have hiking boots in the topbox (range boots, going to teach) I can lace one up part way and put the paper cup in there.

Of course, there's always the old fashioned Stanley Thermos approach.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote