Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #151
danceswithcages
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
The comment that gets me is "That's a murdercycle!" or something similar. When someone tries to tell me how DANGEROUS my Bandit is, that one day I will die on her, I simply reply "well, my best friend died in a car crash, as did my Grandfather. I don't trust cars!"
If they keep going on about it, I tell them I'd rather die on my bike, doing what I love, than driving in my car on the way to Safeway.
So far all I get from those comments are blank stares.
danceswithcages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #152
FJrider1
Yoyodyne Propulsion Sys

Oddometer: 156
How many people everyday (at work) ask if I rode in today (while I'm full ATGATT) "No, I just carry my helmet everywhere I go"

Start's to rain during work, same people come in to office, "Uh, it's raining..." "yup"... one after another... Leave work while it's pouring, put laptop in topcase, get on glance at the windows... 10 people watching me in amazement so I wheely for the hell of it....

One call's the house, my wife tells him it's a rainbike... and I'm taking the long way home.

She says I never listen, or something like that...

DoD#2051
FJrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #153
gslacker
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 66
Good question

I pulled into a popular ride-destination mountain bar. A guy came up when I walked in and asked what kind of bike I was on and if I had tools. I told him I just have the standard tool kit under seat of my BMW but he was welcome to them. The nice Harley guy put his footpeg back on and bought me a beer. All started with a good question on his part.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #154
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,023
There are so many TYPES of questions. Some nice, some smart assed some incredibly stupid. I got asked by some smart assed kid what my ADV sticker meant today and used someone elses reply of "Antisocial, Disturbed and Violent and that it was court ordered" This kids eyes got big and then he just walked away while looking over his shoulder. Guy sittin on the bench was in tears laughing when I turned around. I just grinned and went in the store.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #155
gslacker
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard
I walk into Starbucks (my regular one) this afternoon, helmet in hand.

"Do you ride a bike?" asks the fine young man.

"No, I'm just very clumsy" I reply.
I use this with people who seem to have a sense of humor... Other wise I just say yes.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #156
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-bike
A few years back I was teaching high school automotive. On the way home from the school I was stopped at the light not far from the school. A school bus pulled up to the right of me in the turning lane. Kid sitting in the back of the bus hangs out and yells "BMW's Suck!". Raised my shield and replied, " Yep & so does your Mama, but I still ride her everyday too!" Whole bus full of kids were cracking up. Little did I know my new supervisor was sitting in his truck behind me. Next morning he mentioned that that wasn't very professional. After ten years there I changed jobs. Just didn't fit in I guess.
Love it!! LOL
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #157
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJrider1
How many people everyday (at work) ask if I rode in today (while I'm full ATGATT) "No, I just carry my helmet everywhere I go"

Start's to rain during work, same people come in to office, "Uh, it's raining..." "yup"... one after another... Leave work while it's pouring, put laptop in topcase, get on glance at the windows... 10 people watching me in amazement so I wheely for the hell of it....

One call's the house, my wife tells him it's a rainbike... and I'm taking the long way home.
O.K. I'm a noob here. I'm sure atgatt means geared up, but I've gotta ask what does it stand for?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #158
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR
O.K. I'm a noob here. I'm sure atgatt means geared up, but I've gotta ask what does it stand for?
All The Gear, All The Time.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #159
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
All The Gear, All The Time.
Thank You!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #160
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,817
I stopped in at the little camp store on Mount Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway Saturday and chatted with a guy who was sitting out front taking in the scene.

He was on a Honda Shadow (a 600 cc or so bike). He said that when people ask him why he doesn't have a Harley, he says, "I can't afford all of them t-shirts!"

All the best,
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #161
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
I stopped in at the little camp store on Mount Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway Saturday and chatted with a guy who was sitting out front taking in the scene.

He was on a Honda Shadow (a 600 cc or so bike). He said that when people ask him why he doesn't have a Harley, he says, "I can't afford all of them t-shirts!"

All the best,
Chris

Brilliant!

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the next time I'm asked by some moto-pirate why I don't have a Harley, I plan to say "the indian and construction worker just called - they say you all have a gig tonight."
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #162
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,611
What do you guys do to annoy the Harley riders? I've never had a Harley rider ever say anything to me remotely resembling an insult. Lots of them just come up to chat bikes, a few of them will ask what kind of bike it is, or where I'm riding from.

I even had a Harley rider invite me to a biker campout, though that was a couple of years ago. I didn't go, but the next day I passed by the place and wished I had. It looked like it could have been a fun time.

[edit] Come to think of it... the only time I recall another rider putting down my bike was a GS rider. we were talking bikes and he kept mentiopning how he'd never ride a chain-driven bike. Too much maintenance, you have to replace it all the time, blah blah blah. He finished by adding, "Wait until you ride a shaft drive, you won't go back." I don't think he understand irony very well. He also felt it necessary to point out that the V-Strom didn't have very much ground clearance and that it didn't look like it'd handle a drop very well.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way

Jamie Z screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 07:52 PM
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #163
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Similar here, I've had quite a few people ask about what kind of bike mine is, and start talking about how they have/had or their friend/family member have/had a similar bike and how awesome they are.

Granted, sometimes I'm on a schedule and trying to get somewhere, but I usually don't mind starting a conversation. Whats a few minutes out of my day?

Now I have to say its funny the few times someone has asked what kind of bike it is (having not seen it), and one friend in particular will jump right on out and say "Heck no, it ain't one of those obnoxious crotch rockets, its a real bike!"

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #164
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,654
Question

I ride a 2000' Triumph Tiger and once I had an intoxicated woman come up to me and asked, "Why does a big guy like you ride one of those little Rocket Crotches."

I wish I was making this up because the owner of the bar/grill I was at also sponsored my dart team [not much to do here in the north woods in January]. A few months later when our dart shirts arrived, I was dismayed when I read what I thought would be my name on the front, it was emblazoned with
" Rocket Crotch " . Oh well I had more then a few jokes at my expense from that one.
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #165
Scotty J
Obedient Consumer

Oddometer: 272
You have a 2000 foot Triumph Tiger? I knew those things were big, but DAMN!