Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #166
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
A lot of you guys with the bigger adventure bikes sound like douchebags when people are not knowledgeable about your bikes . In the Charleston area, there aren't many DS riders, or places to do so, so it's pretty rare to see a KTM, BMW, or any DS besides the V-Stroms, KLRs, DRs, and other Jap bikes. I've been riding for 7 years, and the non-Jap DS riders seem to be the biggest pricks on or off the road.

I usually do get waves from Harley and any other riders on the road, except chopper guys and KTM/BMW/Ulysses riders.

(moderators, I promise this isn't flame-bait or trolling, just an opinion/observation)

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #167
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbriell
Pulling up at lights, gas stations, etc. - I guess because I'm only 5'4, 115 pds, and female.

"Do you ride that thing?"

I usually just look at them, or say, "Yea - why not?"

Perhaps I should come up with something snappier, like....

"No - I just push it around, so I can sit on it at stoplights."
"No, just holding it up for someone else..."
"No, someone abandoned it here and I felt bad for it..."
"No, my invisible friend here does. Let me introduce you to him..."

Here's your sign!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #168
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJrider1
How many people everyday (at work) ask if I rode in today (while I'm full ATGATT) "No, I just carry my helmet everywhere I go"

Start's to rain during work, same people come in to office, "Uh, it's raining..." "yup"... one after another... Leave work while it's pouring, put laptop in topcase, get on glance at the windows... 10 people watching me in amazement so I wheely for the hell of it....

One call's the house, my wife tells him it's a rainbike... and I'm taking the long way home.
Tell 'em "Nope, I wear all this stuff because of all the idiots that drive cars..." Here's your sign...

Mark - klx678
Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #169
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik
There are so many TYPES of questions. Some nice, some smart assed some incredibly stupid. I got asked by some smart assed kid what my ADV sticker meant today and used someone elses reply of "Antisocial, Disturbed and Violent and that it was court ordered" This kids eyes got big and then he just walked away while looking over his shoulder. Guy sittin on the bench was in tears laughing when I turned around. I just grinned and went in the store.
I think I now need some ADV stickers...

Mark - klx678
Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #170
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
What do you guys do to annoy the Harley riders? I've never had a Harley rider ever say anything to me remotely resembling an insult. Lots of them just come up to chat bikes, a few of them will ask what kind of bike it is, or where I'm riding from.

I even had a Harley rider invite me to a biker campout, though that was a couple of years ago. I didn't go, but the next day I passed by the place and wished I had. It looked like it could have been a fun time.

[edit] Come to think of it... the only time I recall another rider putting down my bike was a GS rider. we were talking bikes and he kept mentiopning how he'd never ride a chain-driven bike. Too much maintenance, you have to replace it all the time, blah blah blah. He finished by adding, "Wait until you ride a shaft drive, you won't go back." I don't think he understand irony very well. He also felt it necessary to point out that the V-Strom didn't have very much ground clearance and that it didn't look like it'd handle a drop very well.

Jamie
I think most of the "Harley people" with the insults are only riding Harley tee shirts. Remember they sell them at WalMart and everywhere else in the free and not so free world. Ya don't gotta own one to wear the tee.

Don't even get me started on some BMW stories, my brother rides and drives BMWs - says the drivers are fun and nuts, the bikers are anal and no fun...

Mark - klx678
Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #171
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon
A lot of you guys with the bigger adventure bikes sound like douchebags when people are not knowledgeable about your bikes . In the Charleston area, there aren't many DS riders, or places to do so, so it's pretty rare to see a KTM, BMW, or any DS besides the V-Stroms, KLRs, DRs, and other Jap bikes. I've been riding for 7 years, and the non-Jap DS riders seem to be the biggest pricks on or off the road.

I usually do get waves from Harley and any other riders on the road, except chopper guys and KTM/BMW/Ulysses riders.

(moderators, I promise this isn't flame-bait or trolling, just an opinion/observation)
You just don't realize they're better than you. Just ask them, they're a legend in their own mind!

Mark - klx678
Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #172
Strawman
Big Husky

Oddometer: 152
Stopped at a Quiznos on the Dr.Z to have lunch with the wife.

I run a Hero Go Pro at all times on my lid

A kid holding one of those Quiznos signs on the sidewalk:

Kid: Hey, what's that camera for?

Me: Taking pictures

Kid: Oh, I thought so

Me: Hey, do you work at Quiznos?

Kid: Yeah

Me: Oh, I thought so

/awkward moment
Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #173
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik
There are so many TYPES of questions. Some nice, some smart assed some incredibly stupid. I got asked by some smart assed kid what my ADV sticker meant today and used someone elses reply of "Antisocial, Disturbed and Violent and that it was court ordered" This kids eyes got big and then he just walked away while looking over his shoulder. Guy sittin on the bench was in tears laughing when I turned around. I just grinned and went in the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53

Hmmm... and all this time, I thought the "D" was short for "diseased."

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #174
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Don't even get me started on some BMW stories, my brother rides and drives BMWs - says the drivers are fun and nuts, the bikers are anal and no fun...
Can't speak to BMW riders, but I've been around a BMW car club when done with the track for the day, and oh my, they were having fun!

And the crap they pull, even stone sober would make you think they escaped from a padded room.

::EDIT::
Though on a serious yet funny point, I was eating lunch with the people who brought Woodstock (the BMW car, anybody familiar with it? The crazy paint job?), and they talked about one time they had run into trouble, and had borrowed an engine from one person, and a trailer from someone the next state over, all so they could run either a track day or a race, can't remember that well anymore. It was just hilarious at the time.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #175
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawman
Stopped at a Quiznos on the Dr.Z to have lunch with the wife.

I run a Hero Go Pro at all times on my lid

A kid holding one of those Quiznos signs on the sidewalk:

Kid: Hey, what's that camera for?

Me: Taking pictures

Kid: Oh, I thought so

Me: Hey, do you work at Quiznos?

Kid: Yeah

Me: Oh, I thought so

/awkward moment

THAT is fucking hilarious!

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #176
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
...brother rides and drives BMWs - says the drivers are fun and nuts, the bikers are anal and no fun...
hmmm, I'm a BMW rider and have always found that BMW drivers are the biggest jerks on the road--no regard at all for other drivers, much less bikers, always ready to cut you off or pull out right in front of you. I can't really call them "fun and nuts", just
Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #177
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,817
Quote:

I wave at other riders, whatever I'm riding and whatever they're riding. The overwhelming majority of them wave back. Some of them don't. I try not to let the non-wavers harsh my mellow. I figure that they have their reasons. If I don't wave (which is very, very rare), it's probably because I think I should be using/need both hands to control the bike at that moment, or I've waved at the group of bikes already.

I assume that most people are not familiar with DS/adventure-type bikes. No biggie. It is a relatively small market segment in motorcycling, which itself is an activity in which most people don't participate. I'm usually happy to chat if they want to chat, about bikes or some other subject. There are a whole lotta subjects - in and out of motorcycling -- about which I don't know a lot, but I'm always happy to learn.

Sorry for the thread hijack. We should get back to talking about the stupid questions people ask.

All the best,
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #178
Scotty J
Obedient Consumer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
...have always found that BMW drivers are the biggest jerks on the road...
True at one time, but not so much anymore... Audi drivers are taking over.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #179
over_come
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:

God bless BMW riders. It was one of "those people" who introduced me to this website.
over_come is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #180
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
Quote:
For the most part this has NOT been my experience. I have owned 5 BMW's and have gone to State and National Gatherings. Rally or not I have found the vast majority of BMW riders to be kind, friendly and outgoing.

To the ones that are not... I am not afraid to tell them that they are "condescending pricks." That really gets their panties in a bunch.

At a National gathering in Redmond, OR in 2001 (+/-?) I encountered one such individual. I let him know what I thought of him.

The next day I was walking through the vendors and He saw me coming and began to loudly snivel to his buddies about what I had told him the day before.

I think he was hoping for some back-up and unity from his peers. Instead what he got from his buddies was: "Maybe if you stopped being such a sanctimonious ass people would like you a little." Then they smiled at me.

A half hour later I saw the asshat packing up to leave.

It is not always what they ride. Idiots is idiots.