Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #241
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
30 years ago my bud and i had bikes in college, me a honda 350 scrambler and his a 400Kaw. We pulled up to a light, guy in the el camino on my buds side asks " hey..is your bike supposed to be leaking oil like that?" in reference to the large stream pouring into the 2ft and growing puddle under his motor.

Looked like the drain plug fell out, but it was actually a seal or something simlar. We drove straight to the dealer which happened to be close by... we still laugh about that.
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #242
The Garbone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
At a gas station in a rough part of town last week a drunk walks up to the wife and I. I can tell the wife thinks we are about to get rolled from the look on her face..

Her slurs out "Dude, is that snoopy on your bike?"

Me, " Yup" He walks back to the Ice machine and retrieves a beer and starts drinking..

The wife...""

"Warning to all outer-space guys: You can capture me and put me in your "space zoo" if you like, but I will sit way in the back of my cage, where it's hard to see me. And when I do come out, I won't be wearing any pants." -Jack Handy
The Garbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #243
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46
Oh man...I'd LOVE to see some pics of it!!! Sounds 'user-friendly!!"

btw...I waz raised in Appleton
There are a kazillion shots in the ride report called "Latin America!" in my sig line. 15,000 miles from Madison to Buenos Aires.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #244
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanowade
Not really stupid, per se, but I have had more than one stop-light admirer ask me how much my bike cost.
Give them the Grey Poupon-type response: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

I usually just say "less than a Harley."
Old 05-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #245
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proton
As funny as this is (I don't in any way match the stereotype - in fact there is some irony here relating to a previous LE job) it drives me nuts that in Quebec, motorcycles are absolutely synonymous with the Hells. I guess it shouldn't be surprising, since there was a really violent "biker war" here in the 90's. Also there was a huge police op here a couple of weeks ago that broke up a number of cells - after this one of my neighbors asked if I was in hiding (because of my GS).
My daughter and I a planning a Quebec trip this summer; should be interesting. We should probably get some temporary tats to thrill the locals.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #246
Proton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-GS
My daughter and I a planning a Quebec trip this summer; should be interesting. We should probably get some temporary tats to thrill the locals.
Hey enjoy the trip! In spite of my grumblings it's a great place. There's a great motorcycling community here, and some really nice roads.

The attitudes toward motorcycles are, for better or for worse, probably pretty similar to much of North America. However the Hells have been very prominent here (in the news mainly, I'm not sure how much they have to do with motorcycles any more but in the public's mind that's the association).

I wouldn't make much of a Hell's Angel on my F800GS...

Cheers,

P
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #247
Comnoz
No Carbs

Oddometer: 9
Stupidest question has to be when I ride up on my Commando with the big fuel injection emblems on it, and some says "I see it says fuel injection....what kind of carburetors do you have on it."
Comnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #248
nilsso1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
New Goldwing owner

I never thought I would be posting here, but today, I finally had a few stupid questions, I will try to make this short,

My office is next to a UHaul dealer, they seem to get alot of rentals to guys that need to haul their bikes, and since I have a bike, Uhaul employees come over to me for advice, they dont want to mislead their customers. ( I am not the best for advice but I am the closest)

So today a guy comes in, he bought a used Goldwing,his first bike, he has about a two hour drive one way to haul it home, so the questions begin, this guy has no idea of bikes, saftey, towing a trailer, all he knows is his Goldwing with lots of lights on it. and needs a seat and if I happen to have one that would fit his bike, or a helmet or a jacket.

About an hour and half later. he goes over and looks at my bike, 06 GSA, asks me how I like riding crotch rockets, Now he sees BMW and asks if I have BMW car thats why I stuck the badges on my tank, Now I had enough, I am well into the lunch hour. secretary coming out with Faxes and email I have to deal with. I am trying to get back to work.

He then starts to tell me he is going to teach the mororcylce saftey, starting in June, Great My girlfriend is taking the course in June, I dont want to teach her all my bad habits, but this might be worse,

my rant

If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Embarrassing my children: Just one more service I offer.
nilsso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #249
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,811
So this guy is gonna teach a rider class, and doesn't know that BMW builds bikes???? WTF???

You might wanna call the state motorcycle board and let them know about this "instructor's qualifications" !!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #250
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
This just happened 20 minutes ago!

I ran out of Pepper while cooking.. Grocery Store is 1/2 mile away so I rode.

DUDE #1 - Whoa why would you ride in the rain?
DUDE#2 = Your CRAZY man, It has been raining all day.

I smile at them and go about my business. Come back and Dude #3 was there.. Wearing a HD shirt..

Dude #3 Man I wouldn't ride my bike in the rain!
Me - What kind of bike
Dude #3 - I don't have one yet I bought a truck instead..
Me = Oh
Dude #2 - Serious man why are you riding in the rain..
Me - uh cause I am not not scared of a little rain.
Dude#1 Isn't it kinda scary? I mean shit the roads get slick and shit
Dude #3 - Your Hardcore. But I still won't ride my bike in the rain. Your Insane!
Me - Getting irritated - Well once you have a bike then I guess I will see you when it is over 70 - No wind - No clouds - no dust. And make sure to polish all your chrome every night so it looks pretty
Dude #1 - Whats that supposed to mean man?
Me - It means what I said.. I am not scared to ride my bike regardless of the conditions. So whats insane? me on my $5K bike riding in whatever conditions and wherever I feel like it? Or someone dropping $20K for a garage ornament and bragging rights?
Dude#3 Well I can pick up chicks on my bike!
Me - Yeah? What bike? The one in your dreams parked next to me Veyron and Vanquish
Dude#2 - What kind of bikes are those?
Me - google it C-ya fellas

As I am pulling away thinking all my usual nasty thoughts about the Flatbillers .. When I look in the mirror and see them climbing in a mini van!

I can't STAND Flatbillers!
09Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #251
nilsso1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46
So this guy is gonna teach a rider class, and doesn't know that BMW builds bikes???? WTF???

You might wanna call the state motorcycle board and let them know about this "instructor's qualifications" !!
I have dinner once a month with a group of riders, most are instructors or have been, , I pretty sure he was just talking, my fault was I should of just shut up, it takes two to have a coversation, but he was long winded, most of my answers where, huh, yup, no shit, ahh

If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Embarrassing my children: Just one more service I offer.
nilsso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 AM   #252
je2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
In line at the supermarket wearing my jacket buying spongebob bandaids.

Shut up.

"Motorcycle huh?"

"uuh yes sir"

Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #253
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,243
My least favorite:

"Do you know why I stopped you, Mr.Wade?"
Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #254
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
This is a little bit of a tangent. Being on the other side as a motor cop, I nearly got hit turnig around and when I got to the drivers door, I asked the driver "Do you know why I stopped you?" When he said no, I had forgotten and had to say, "Neither do I, thank you for stopping and please drive safely."
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #255
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,515
I can see the driver now