Oddometer: 378
"An grand Canyon" ?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #302
HairBear
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXX
I tried the "Not made of sugar/won't melt" line with wife and got promptly informed to be careful because dog turds melt in the rain too! Some days I feel like Rodney Dangerfield......No Respect
LOL, I'm not made of sugar & now I know I'm not made of dog shit either . This is turning out to be a great Friday
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #303
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
I keep having people ask me, about my BMW. I ride a Suzuki Vstrom. For some reason a lot of people see an advneture touring bike, and think BMW. This is especially funny, when I am by teh bike and it has all of the Suzuki decals/ badges ion it.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #304
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
I used to ride a K100. It was the king of gas station interrogations.

"Wow. Does BMW really make motorcycles?"

"Yeah, but that's not the SAME BMW that makes cars, right?"

"Why is the motor so funny looking?"

"Gosh. Why is it so quiet?"

"Where do you get it serviced?"
me: "My house"
"Oh, you work on bikes?"
me:"Yes"
or
me: "I know a guy. If you know what I mean."

Currently, I have a Nighthawk 450 that I love to pieces.

I get this all the time:
"You're a big dude. Do you really ride that?"
me: Yup. It ain't what you got. It's how you use it.
"A 450 wouldn't be enough for ME."
me: and that's why EMS and mortuary science are such stable career fields

"Why do you ride a girl bike?"
me: What's a girl bike?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #305
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven
"Why do you ride a girl bike?"
me: What's a girl bike?
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #306
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
lulz.

In my defense, the bike is black and chrome and I wasn't wearing my pink icon jacket, helmet, and ballet tutu that day.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #307
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate

OK!!!......Girl bike DEFINED!!!
(quick....somebody call Webster's!)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #308
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr
I keep having people ask me, about my BMW. I ride a Suzuki Vstrom. For some reason a lot of people see an advneture touring bike, and think BMW. This is especially funny, when I am by teh bike and it has all of the Suzuki decals/ badges ion it.
As opposed to the guy in our office who rides a 35 year old BMW who came up to me as I was gearing up and asked me if my V-Strom was "one of those Ninja bikes." I had mistakenly figured that he was an afficionado and had restored his bike. During the very enjoyable conversation that ensued, I learned his bike is the bike he learned on, and the only bike he's ever owned, and he doesn't know doodly squat about other bikes, even other BMWs. Really nice guy, though.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #309
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
I get that a lot. I even get that when people don't see my bike. It wasn't at a gas station, but last week during a bike night, as I walked around in my one-piece Olympia, I had two separate people come up and ask me if I rode a BMW. One was a rather cute chick and she asked what kind of bike I rode. I said, "It's not a BMW." She says... "Oh, how'd you know that's what I was going to say?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nd2Roam
tells me how he couldn't ride all bent over like that, referring to my 05 GS with bar risers. I'm 6'4" and was still on the seat while standing over him. It's funny how people let their misconceptions overrule what's right in front of their eyes.
I've had that exact thing happen to me a couple of times on my V-Strom.

And I still hear people call my bike a crotch rocket, even with engine guard, skid plate, and three-piece hard cases.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #310
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,761
I had a person tell me my KLR looks like a crotch rocket right after I rode down a mile long dirt right-of-way, through a creek, and parked next to a plowed tobacco field. In her defense, had I actually ridden a crotch rocket to the tobacco patch, it *might've* looked like a KLR once I got there.

threadkiller screwed with this post 06-05-2009 at 12:27 PM
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #311
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky
As opposed to the guy in our office who rides a 35 year old BMW who came up to me as I was gearing up and asked me if my V-Strom was "one of those Ninja bikes." I had mistakenly figured that he was an afficionado and had restored his bike. During the very enjoyable conversation that ensued, I learned his bike is the bike he learned on, and the only bike he's ever owned, and he doesn't know doodly squat about other bikes, even other BMWs. Really nice guy, though.
Basically any japanese bike not a Harley Clone, is a crotch rocket. At least that seems to be the general opinion of the uninformed. I got a rice rocket comment from some one last year, while in th mountains, I had just followed a "road" along the back side of Raven Fork, with water crossings up past my hubs.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
Old 06-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #312
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Basically any japanese bike not a Harley Clone, is a crotch rocket. At least that seems to be the general opinion of the uninformed.
Agreed. What boggles the mind here is that dual sports have an enduring design aesthetic that's been more or less unchanged for 25+ years. How do folks confuse these things with the race replicas (the real crotch rockets?)
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #313
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

[quote=Tall Man]Agreed. What boggles the mind here is that dual sports have an enduring design aesthetic that's been more or less unchanged for 25+ years. How do folks confuse these things with the race replicas (the real crotch rockets?)[/quote

Basically Race replicas get all of the press, good and bad. Think stunting, Tom Cruise, etc.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #314
Arkrube
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Bluhduh Brother-Sister offspring..?

"If you got it on your license why take another stupid safety course?"... this was thrown upon me by some 'tard while I awaited to board a flight and was "caught" looking at schedule/brochure for a intermediate and/or advance course put on by Team Oregon.
Arkrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #315
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,694
I've been riding for over 30+ years, and have had friends tell me that the ADVanced Team Oregon riders course rocks!!! They've relearned many good riding habits, and learned many new ones they never considered. They were VERY impressed. I'm gonna sign up for one this summer.

And as for the 'image' throwing the 'uneducated' folks off...it works the other way too.
I've had alotta people ask me if my Yamaha Venture with the burned out exhaust system was a H-D on many occasions! (BOZO's think it ain't a REAL motorcycle if it ain't got the 'badge' on the tank)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote