Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #4201
Cgirou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I was at Walmart last week and as I got off my KLR a guy getting out of his car looked at me and said "Is that thing even street legal? It looks like a big dirt bike." I explained that yes it is street legal and also very street comfortable. The next question was "Do you actually take that on the highway?" to which I responded "Sir, people use all types of bikes to traverse the globe and the KLR is one that goes pretty much anywhere. I use it for around town but also for long weekends away." When I asked if he has ever ridden he said "Nah man, you aren't going to get me on one of those things."
Cgirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #4202
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I can see that parking space thing being a little annoying, but really...

Do you think it's OK for people to get all twisted up when you filter, lane share, split lanes, or whatever you want to call it?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #4203
jmueller
100 miles is a lap...

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post

It would have been easy for her to squeeze a little closer to the Tan vehicle and keep the two parking spaces open. As it is, when he leaves she's using 2 spaces. Not too cool.

..........shu
I would agree, but there's one crucial question..

Was she going in for lunch? ... or just grabbing a cup of coffee?
I don't see the problem if it was just for 5 minutes in front of a convenience store..
Maybe the tan vehicle was parked like that because the next spot over was crowded too.
jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #4204
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
I can see that parking space thing being a little annoying, but really...

Do you think it's OK for people to get all twisted up when you filter, lane share, split lanes, or whatever you want to call it?

I completely agree with you, but most drivers in this country get all bent out of shape when we filter through traffic, but are the first ones to pull up beside us to turn right if we approach an intersection in the left side of the lane.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #4205
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by spntshell View Post
WOW really!! Ok well I am beaten! Yall win I am stupid for parking my bike like I thought I should, and you all are correct, next time I will bow down and not be a winer and will park way out in the back and not crybaby about my shit anymore I will join the club....LOL NOT!!! STUPID!!!
Think you parked fine, why be a jerk an park cross ways with traffic cones all around like some suggested, But as I stated, she parked fine too, gave you plenty of room, along with the tan truck.

Let me ask this question, if there were NO lines on the pavement would you have been upset?

I don't care if someone crowds me on the street because they need the space, as long as they are AWARE of me. Now be yacking on the cell phone, and oblivious to your surroundings, and yes I get pissed.

But the female in this discussion said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
+1 Life's too short to get worked up about stuff that just plain doesn't matter. I bet you spent the whole ride home chewing that over and getting into a righteous rage instead of enjoying your ride My favourite phrase this week "just let it go"
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #4206
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Stupid rider, it seems to me. You park in one side of the spot, of course some inconsiderate moron is going to use the other side. It's what they do. If you are so worried about your "baby", park it way out where the fat lazy car drivers never park.
I always park on one side of the space so another BIKE can fit on the other. 'Moron'? I think he's being considerate and you need to look in the mirror.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #4207
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
I have heard many times. "Do you need the WHOLE parking space? I just smile. The pic above would not bother me.

I did have a woman pull up next to my new 1982 Suzuki GS650GX at a park. She opened her door and whacked my bike which set off the motion ALARM. She said "What did I do?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #4208
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,382
One of the things I've found interesting is that nobody has seemed to suggest that the woman in question could have parked elsewhere. I don't think she was forced to double park in that particular spot.

I'm not fond of people who circle the parking lot looking for a spot close to the front, then squeeze in a ridiculously tight spot just so they don't have to walk an extra forty feet. What's even funnier is when I see them do this at the gym. Seriously, America is fat, we could all afford to walk a few extra steps. But I digress.

As for parking on the side of the spot, that's what considerate bikers do in my neck of the woods. Two motorcycles can fit in one spot comfortably, unless you ride a big dresser.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #4209
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I once had a woman open her driver's side door as I was pulling into a reduced size parking space like the one pictured. The door caught one of the highway pegs on my crash bars and stopped me dead in my tracks. I almost wound up IN her car with her.

Then she's got the nerve to blame ME for pulling in too close to her...
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #4210
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSteve View Post
I once had a woman open her driver's side door as I was pulling into a reduced size parking space like the one pictured. The door caught one of the highway pegs on my crash bars and stopped me dead in my tracks. I almost wound up IN her car with her.

Then she's got the nerve to blame ME for pulling in too close to her...

I'm confused. By the sound of this, she was already parked and attempting to exit her car when you pulled into a narrow spot right next to her and crashed into her door.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #4211
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

I'm confused. By the sound of this, she was already parked and attempting to exit her car when you pulled into a narrow spot right next to her and crashed into her door.
It sounds this way to me as well. When parked on the street it is fully the door the openers responsibility to make sure the ROAD is clear. In a dead end parking spot? Not so much. I think the vehicle pulling in should yield. It is simple courtesy…They were there first.

Not saying VTSteve was fully at fault here... Only that he shoulld have been more aware. Had he been this would not have happened.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #4212
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

Well, same here.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #4213
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,544
three pages about that parking space...

you people should try driving and parking those bigass SUVs and trucks in Europe, if the people next to you had vehicles of a similar size none of you would even be able to open your doors here, even if everyone parked perfectly.

this and the gun/Detroit discussion... only in America...
mhpr262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #4214
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by spntshell View Post
If you ever seen the movie Anger Management, some times I just have to stop and say "Serenity now"
Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
+1 Life's too short to get worked up about stuff that
This!

She could have parked a little further away from you but still left you plenty of room to do your thing. They make parking spaces too damn small for full size vehicles now days(the truck to the right of hers)and if you park a little off center...you end up on or over the line. You also can't go jump on the big truck owner...you don't know what was parked how or where when he/she pulled up. You had plenty of room to load your cases.
I can see why she didn't pull into her space. She either...
A: wanted to leave room for the passenger to get out(you mentioned kids) or...
B: didn't want the person who owned the truck in the space next to hers to open his/her door into her truck.

Now if she had been inches off your bike this would be a different story...

One more thing to chew on...there is no law stating you have to park within the lines in a parking lot.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #4215
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Stupid question asked 2 days ago:

I was at a red light on my 2011 Patrol and a car pulls up next to me. Window rolls down and guy asks me "So, um you don't have your feet on the ground?"

Me: "no"

Him: "Well aren't you worried you're going to fall over when stopped?"

We are so doomed.

KneeDrachen screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 09:15 AM Reason: Can't type
KneeDrachen is offline   Reply With Quote