Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #4216
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgirou View Post
I was at Walmart last week and as I got off my KLR a guy getting out of his car looked at me and said "Is that thing even street legal?
You should have looked at him sheepishly and said "your not going to call the cops are you?"

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #4217
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I'm not fond of people who circle the parking lot looking for a spot close to the front, then squeeze in a ridiculously tight spot just so they don't have to walk an extra forty feet. What's even funnier is when I see them do this at the gym. Seriously, America is fat, we could all afford to walk a few extra steps. But I digress.
I'm with you on that.

I don't care where the parking space is, so long as there is a spot and I can park and go about my business. If I have to walk an extra 200 feet, so be it- it's exercise. Besides, I think the "circle the lot forever" people fail to realize, in the time they've taken to endlessly patrol for that close spot, they could have parked further away and already been in to where they wanted to go.

My wife hates it when I'm in the car with her and she decides she wants to lot-shark. I'll say "Just park the damn car, you've passed three perfectly good spots. Seriously, we could have been inside the store already".

She doesn't take me shopping much anymore
Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #4218
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDrachen View Post
Stupid question asked 2 days ago:

I was at a red light on my 2011 Patrol and a car pulls up next to me. Window rolls down and guy asks me "So, um you don't have your feet on the ground?"

Me: "no"

Him: "Well aren't you worried you're going to fall over when stopped?"

We are so doomed.

RxZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #4219
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
My wife hates it when I'm in the car with her and she decides she wants to lot-shark. I'll say "Just park the damn car, you've passed three perfectly good spots. Seriously, we could have been inside the store already".

She doesn't take me shopping much anymore
I'm going to try that!
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #4220
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
I'm going to try that!
No matter which vehicle I am driving I park out in teh boonies, just so I don't have to worry about getting my car/ truck/ bike dinged. My wife just accepts it. She has actually started doing it herself, even in her van. This also make any one screwing around with your vehicle way more obvious.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #4221
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It sounds this way to me as well. When parked on the street it is fully the door the openers responsibility to make sure the ROAD is clear. In a dead end parking spot? Not so much. I think the vehicle pulling in should yield. It is simple courtesy…They were there first.

Not saying VTSteve was fully at fault here... Only that he shoulld have been more aware. Had he been this would not have happened.
I may not have been as aware of the situation as I could have been, but I wasn't flying into the space blindly either. I think the driver just assumed that since a car wouldn't fit next to her, she didn't need to even look before swinging her door fully open.

Common courtesy? Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure legally I had the right of way there.It doesn't matter where you're parked, you need to look before you open your door.
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #4222
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,326

Another rider on a Ducati at the first stoplight, "That thing street legal?"
After taking off when the light turned green, and after I got the front wheel back on the ground, I finally caught up to him doing well over the speed limit... next light, "Damn, that little bike's got some snort!"
Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #4223
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSteve View Post
Common courtesy? Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure legally I had the right of way there.It doesn't matter where you're parked, you need to look before you open your door.
Legally you would have nothing as driving "right of way" rules do not apply to a parking lot.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #4224
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
three pages about that parking space...

you people should try driving and parking those bigass SUVs and trucks in Europe, if the people next to you had vehicles of a similar size none of you would even be able to open your doors here, even if everyone parked perfectly.

this and the gun/Detroit discussion... only in America...
LMAO, I drove a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in Germany for years. One of my fondest memories was parked at the Nurburgring, top down in November, covered in mud, with a Porsche GT3 and a Ferrari on either side, while everyone stood around talking to me about my Jeep.

Parking was never an issue, largely because I could run over anything. I did encounter the occasional parking deck in Frankfurt that was too short, but that was the only issue I ever had. On the flip side, 120kmh on the autobahn was more of a goal than a limit.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #4225
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Legally you would have nothing as driving "right of way" rules do not apply to a parking lot.
So you get to pick and choose which parts of the VTL apply in a parking lot, or is it "no holds barred"? If a collision resulting in an insurance claim were to take place, who would be at fault?

I once got a ticket for operating an unregistered, uninsured bike in an empty parking lot. The officer seemed pretty adamant that a parking lot is a public road and as such the same laws apply to it.
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #4226
palinka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Wrong. Traffic laws apply in public parking lots.
palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #4227
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSteve View Post
So you get to pick and choose which parts of the VTL apply in a parking lot, or is it "no holds barred"? If a collision resulting in an insurance claim were to take place, who would be at fault?

I once got a ticket for operating an unregistered, uninsured bike in an empty parking lot. The officer seemed pretty adamant that a parking lot is a public road and as such the same laws apply to it.

50/50 or go to civil court. Perhaps things are different over there. (?)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #4228
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by solution View Post
Wrong. Traffic laws apply in public parking lots.
first, you have to define "public parking lot". a lot owned by a city is a public parking lot. a lot owned by a shopping mall is a private parking lot that is open to the public on a limited basis, but it is not a "public parking lot".

for private parking lots (even ones generally open to the public), whether or not traffic laws apply varies from state to state. and, within some states, from municipality to municipality. it also varies depending on what traffic law you are talking about.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #4229
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
[for private parking lots (even ones generally open to the public), whether or not traffic laws apply varies from state to state. and, within some states, from municipality to municipality. it also varies depending on what traffic law you are talking about.[/QUOTE]

EXACLTY!! My bike got hit by some old lady in the Walmart pkg lot and had to let insurance companies duke it out. In most big cities in TX the cops will only respond to a T/A on private property is if there are injuries. Luckily her company was way easy to deal with and just went to the Honda shop and wrote a check.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #4230
palinka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
first, you have to define "public parking lot". a lot owned by a city is a public parking lot. a lot owned by a shopping mall is a private parking lot that is open to the public on a limited basis, but it is not a "public parking lot".

for private parking lots (even ones generally open to the public), whether or not traffic laws apply varies from state to state. and, within some states, from municipality to municipality. it also varies depending on what traffic law you are talking about.
A public parking lot is one that is open to the general public. Ownership is irrelevant. A good example is the lot of a shopping center. While it could vary from municipality to municipality, generally the vehicle code applies and is enforcable in these lots. This is why you see stop signs, this why you could get a parking ticket, etc. in lots that are open to the public.

If you pave your on lot for your own personal use, and it is not open to the general public, you can ignore the vehicle code and drive how you damn well please.
palinka is offline   Reply With Quote