Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #4246
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKSTAR View Post
You know what I mean....
My buddy told me the other day "One day, you'll get a real bike like my Dyna. You know Harley bought them to shut them down."

I wanted to punch him in the face...he had NO CLUE about Buell...and I bet rides 500 miles a year. He's NEVER rode with me. I didn't even know he had a bike. Best part? We've known each other for about 10 years....
I used to think that is was most Harley owners who felt. Since I started working at one of the leading dealerships in the Northwest I have discovered that much of it was ignorance. Sure there are those who rarely ride and dress head to toe in Harley branded gear. You could describe them as "Image Sheep" and not be too far off the mark.

It is that minority that ask that often parroted and silly question: "When are you going to buy a real bike?" (meaning a Harley)

The vast majority are riders and they couldn't care less what type of motorcycle you ride.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 10:34 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #4247
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

It is that minority that ask that often parroted and silly question: "When are you going to buy a real bike?" (meaning a Harley)

The vast majority are riders and they could care less what type of motorcycle you ride.
My answer to that question is something on the lines of "sure, I have several real bikes in the garage, but I have a Harley too."..............
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #4248
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
A while back I had stopped at the Cane River National Park to visit one of the old plantation houses they have there.

I was walking back to the parking lot wearing my Motoport hi-viz kevlar jacket and gray kevlar pants. A lady walking towards the house gasped and asked me 'Is the house on fire?????!!!!!!'.

On the same trip I was in line at McDonalds when a fellow asked me 'Did you respond to that big wreck up the road this morning?'.

I think the sport touring bike combined with hi-viz gear often leads people to think I'm some kind of authority figure.

You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
- Dave Barry
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:55 AM   #4249
ROKSTAR
Whoring it up

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
I used to think that is was most Harley owners who felt. Since I started working at one of the leading dealerships in the Northwest I have discovered that much of it was ignorance. Sure there are those who rarely ride and dress head to toe in Harley branded gear. You could describe them as "Image Sheep" and not be too far off the mark.

The vast majority are riders and they couldn't care less what type of motorcycle you ride.
In Cincinnati, they ARE that way.

We have 5 HD dealers....WTF? I don't get it. But we can't keep a BMW dealer in business here....When I've went to rides and hangouts, I've been given the "one day you'll grow up and buy a real Harley" comment. I respond with "One day you'll ride a bike that can take curves and pull a sick whore off the shit pot."

I don't understand this cruiser-only mentality.
I DON'T WANT A FUCKING CRUISER!

I want a sport bike, but I like torque and the sound of a V-twin. Plus I liked buying American, belt drive, hydraulic valves, and FI. That's like telling the guy in the Corvette his car isn't a real Chevrolet because it's not a Silverado....not everybody wants a Silverdo...
Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #4250
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,933
Quote:

Or, not. Rode my Roadster for three months, with a FF helmet and usually a hi-viz jacket. Know how many big twin riders waved to me the entire time? Zero. If you are not in the HD uniform of black beanie helmet, black tshirt, jeans and sh#tkickers you just don't fit in.

The HD lifestyle thing is too stupid for words.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #4251
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Or, not. Rode my Roadster for three months, with a FF helmet and usually a hi-viz jacket. Know how many big twin riders waved to me the entire time? Zero. If you are not in the HD uniform of black beanie helmet, black tshirt, jeans and sh#tkickers you just don't fit in.

It's very hard to get them to wave at me on my 49cc Honda scooter. I find that if I wait until they'r almost past, then fling my arm out like a crazy person they'll sometimes wave almost as a reflex. Then I laugh and laugh as I ride on.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #4252
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKSTAR View Post
In Cincinnati, they ARE that way.

We have 5 HD dealers....WTF? I don't get it. But we can't keep a BMW dealer in business here....When I've went to rides and hangouts, I've been given the "one day you'll grow up and buy a real Harley" comment. I respond with "One day you'll ride a bike that can take curves and pull a sick whore off the shit pot."

I don't understand this cruiser-only mentality.
I DON'T WANT A FUCKING CRUISER!

I want a sport bike, but I like torque and the sound of a V-twin. Plus I liked buying American, belt drive, hydraulic valves, and FI. That's like telling the guy in the Corvette his car isn't a real Chevrolet because it's not a Silverado....not everybody wants a Silverdo...

I ride a Harley but I'm with you on those kinds of attitudes. From the other side of the fence, because I ride a Harley I am stereotyped as one of those morons you are describing.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #4253
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
It's very hard to get them to wave at me on my 49cc Honda scooter. I find that if I wait until they'r almost past, then fling my arm out like a crazy person they'll sometimes wave almost as a reflex. Then I laugh and laugh as I ride on.
I blow them kisses. Also I wave at scooters ridden by hot girls, because I want to encourage them.

I found the Sportster owners to be pretty friendly and often pretty serious riders. Ironically while big twin HD riders ignore Sportsters, sport bike owners were all over the Roadster, which has twin front brakes, a tach, and a real suspension.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #4254
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:

It must be a regional thing. You would be amazed at how many HD riders out this way wear High-Viz gear and Full Face Helmets. This may also be due in part to Team Oregon (Oregon’s version of MSF)

As to the waving between riders thing... I think it is juvenile to go about waving at other riders you don't know simply because they choose a similar mode of transportation.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #4255
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,708
Quote:
If you are not in the HD uniform of black beanie helmet, black tshirt, jeans and sh#tkickers you just don't fit in.

Sometimes it's good NOT to fit in...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #4256
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,973
Sometimes it good to live your own life. And leave others to their own.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #4257
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy
Sometimes it good to live your own life. And leave others to their own.

Exactly! That's why I said
Quote:
it's good NOT to fit in!
Got it?

Old 10-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #4258
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,973
Eh?

You thought that was about you? Aren't we special.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #4259
goggo2460
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
goggo2460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #4260
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
You thought that was about you?
Well after I typed...
Quote:
Sometimes it's good
Then in the next post you typed...
Quote:
Sometimes it good
If it wasn't directed at me then who was it directed towards?

BTW, I am special!