Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #4336
Hookapelli
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,317
I like how all my HD friends give me crap about my "Pizza Delivery Bike" ('09 GSA)- But when we're on road trips it's "Hey bro, can you hold on to my (insert object here) for me."

I've also had a bunch of them try to give me those stupid little bells you hang on your bike…

"What's this for?"

"It keeps the road gremlins away."

"What's a road gremlin?"

"It's what causes your bike to break down unexpectedly on road trips.”

“Oh- I thought the HD logo caused that!”
Hookapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #4337
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
I like how all my HD friends give me crap about my "Pizza Delivery Bike" ('09 GSA)- But when we're on road trips it's "Hey bro, can you hold on to my (insert object here) for me."

I've also had a bunch of them try to give me those stupid little bells you hang on your bike…

"What's this for?"

"It keeps the road gremlins away."

"What's a road gremlin?"

"It's what causes your bike to break down unexpectedly on road trips.”

“Oh- I thought the HD logo caused that!”
Im not a fan of the HD stuff. There are a couple of Models I like the look of. But THAT RIGHT THERE is FUNNY!!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #4338
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Im not a fan of the HD stuff. There are a couple of Models I like the look of. But THAT RIGHT THERE is FUNNY!!!!
I HATE the Harley "culture". Tank tops, Half brain bucket helmets, cut off finger gloves. My dad is a Harley rider and says that he looks out of place if he doesn't dress like the other guys. I know a lot of cruiser guys think this but its such bullshit. My dad went down this last year on his Harley. He was wearing a tank top, no gloves, and a joke of a helmet. Thankfully he survived but had really bad road rash from his eye all the way to his waste line. He wanted me to feel sorry for him and I said that I refuse to feel sorry for him and asked him if he wanted to finally go buy some good gear!!!? I wasn't going to comment but I couldn't help my self any longer.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #4339
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
"my boyfriend has a Harley, he doesn't like other bikes that look like them".
I have seen that sentiment a LOT!! More than I would have ever imagined, for sure.

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #4340
x_hog_ridr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I don't care what anyone else rides and I don't care what anyone else wears. (except for my wife) You all can ride what you want and wear what you want.
x_hog_ridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #4341
Geoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
"Don't fall off" was suggested to me by a co-worker.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #4342
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hog_ridr View Post
I don't care what anyone else rides and I don't care what anyone else wears. (except for my wife) You all can ride what you want and wear what you want.

I agree, but my dad also falls into the I care category.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #4343
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
I agree with you, you can lead a horse to water and even show him how to drink. I have told my dad what should be a minimum and always wear the gear when I ride with him, and all it does is annoy him when it takes me a minute longer to get going after we stop.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #4344
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I agree with you, you can lead a horse to water and even show him how to drink. I have told my dad what should be a minimum and always wear the gear when I ride with him, and all it does is annoy him when it takes me a minute longer to get going after we stop.

That reminds me:
I was standing around with my dad and all his Harley friends (I was on a Harley at the time too) and a friend walked up to me and said "Why are you wearing a full face helmet and a leather jacket on your Harley". I said "well why not". He said "I get claustrophic in those things" . I said "well I would get even more claustrophic in a coffin". He just looked at me...

Now my dad uses the same excuse... Un friggin believable.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #4345
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Now that was an excellent come-back to a stupid question... well played Sir!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #4346
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Things I was asked this week:

"Aren't you cold riding?" (it was 56 and I ride all winter long regardless of temperature)
I've got the right gear for the cold

"do you work for NASA?" (lady at the bank thought my 1 piece suit looked like something an astronaut would wear)
Yes, and thank you for complimenting my intelligence, it wasn't easy to get to this point in my career.

"Shoud you really be riding right now? (It was snowing pretty hard and there was about 1" on the road)
I'm always looking for creative ways to make a dangerous activity more dangerous
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #4347
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Last year I was riding home from SoCal up the coast on the Wednesday after New Years. I pulled into a Forest Service campground south of Big Sur between 9 and 10pm. I pick out a site and walk over to the fee post to pay and I've still got my jacket, pants and boots on. The campground host walks by and asks me if something's wrong. Me: "Nope, everything's fine."

A little while later as I'm finishing setting up my tent he's taking a lap in his pickup truck and stops to ask me once again if anything's wrong. Me: "Nope, in fact I had a great day of riding today."

Then, around 11pm, as he's making his final lap for the night, I'm sitting at the picnic table watching the stars enjoying a beer with my camp all set up and a tarp tied over my bike. It was almost like I'd PLANNED on camping out that night. Once again: "Is something wrong?" Me: "Nope."

I can understand that he probably doesn't see a lot of solo riders showing up late at night in the middle of winter but by the third time the question was getting kind of old.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #4348
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
I have seen that sentiment a LOT!! More than I would have ever imagined, for sure.

That is a dumb one.

1) Proves that the person is not into bikes just brands which is pretty :ymca

2) Also proves that the person doesn't even know the brand that they claim to love. No one that has spent any time around an HD could ever confuse it with another brand.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #4349
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Last year I was riding home from SoCal up the coast on the Wednesday after New Years. I pulled into a Forest Service campground south of Big Sur between 9 and 10pm. I pick out a site and walk over to the fee post to pay and I've still got my jacket, pants and boots on. The campground host walks by and asks me if something's wrong. Me: "Nope, everything's fine."

A little while later as I'm finishing setting up my tent he's taking a lap in his pickup truck and stops to ask me once again if anything's wrong. Me: "Nope, in fact I had a great day of riding today."

Then, around 11pm, as he's making his final lap for the night, I'm sitting at the picnic table watching the stars enjoying a beer with my camp all set up and a tarp tied over my bike. It was almost like I'd PLANNED on camping out that night. Once again: "Is something wrong?" Me: "Nope."

I can understand that he probably doesn't see a lot of solo riders showing up late at night in the middle of winter but by the third time the question was getting kind of old.
A good response might have been;
"Damn skippy there's something wrong... this is the third time you've shown up here without a hot pizza and cold beer! FYYFF!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #4350
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
"Don't fall off" was suggested to me by a co-worker.
that should go in the "things every noob should know" thread.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote