Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #31
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,980
I can't count how many times I have been asked, especially during the warm weather months, "Aren't you hot in all that gear?"

I was just asked that last week during a break on a 55 degree sunny day by a well meaning older couple who I am sure were just being friendly. I explained to them that the air was still quite cold at 60 MPH and yes I was a bit too warm, but that was due to my 3 layers including a heated jacket liner and that I would turn the thermostat down when I got moving again. They seemed to be really intriqued about my electric liner. They did not know that such a thing existed.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #32
Matt the Wanderer
Supremely Not Lost

Oddometer: 264
What size...

My R100GS has very stylized graphics on the tank and side covers, sort of a swooshy flung-paint look with "R100" mixed in as only the German stylists think is cool.

The "100" is visible and almost readable, but most people only see the huge engine sitting below. Nevertheless, when they get to looking at the graphics they will ask if it is a "Hundred".

(?)

I just smile and tell that it is a five-hundred..... on each side.
One old dude shook his head at that and replied that it must shake pretty bad. Lol.

Actually, I love people asking any questions at all because it gives me a chance to interact. As for the "can I ride it?" question, I always say "No, I don't think you could ride it." and leave it at that. And smile, smile, smile!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #33
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,138
A co-worker of mine asks me about once every six months "What kind of bike do you have?" because he can't remember what the answer was the last time he asked me. When I respond that it's a Suzuki DL 650 he sucks in his breath and says "Oooh, that must be a fast one." Whatever. Makes him feel like he's talkin' bikes with his bud, I guess.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #34
SychoSly
Scoot the World!

Oddometer: 6
I have been asked:

"Can I take it for a ride?"

It gets a little scary being asked that by many random people. I wonder if they ask people in cars if they could drive their car around the block.
SychoSly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #35
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 639
You take that off road?

Do you ever wash it?

Those questions I get on either bike.

A Ural specific one:

Is that real?

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #36
Dirt Sampler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
As i was pulling my helmet on a dude walked up and asked 'What kind of bike is that?' I looked down at the tank on my Commando that has large gold letters saying 'Norton' and said, 'it's a Norton'. He looked it over once again and asked 'Is that made by Harley or Honda?'
Dirt Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #37
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
WELL BLOW ME DOWN BOYS AND GIRLS,

I just gotta say i love it when anyone comes up to me and starts asking sillys about the bike i happen to be riding or where i've just come from or where i'm heading, it can really go anywhere a bit like that trail you decidced to actually go down instead of not go down, there might be some thing down there you never imagined. Beats listening to the predictable shit on tv plus you can add to it or even better yourself. FUCK ME thats one of the reasons i love bikes , because its a freedom that some people instantly recognise.

Open mind for those that share that passion!

From the other angle, i have approached some real nobs on bikes hoping for a small chat, that act as if they are royalty.

Maybe some of you should work a little harder to get out of the city where there are a shit load of people who can all blur into one hidious figmant.
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #38
chuzy2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I always get the, "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles!"

Most of the questions I get pertain to ATGATT.

One day when leaving work I met up with a group going out to the parking lot. One gal said, "oh Ken I didn't know you rode a motorcycle." Which I responded, "actually I don't, but I save five dollars a year on my car insurance by wearing all this equipment." Everyone busted out laughing. Of course, she slapped me, knowing the smart aleck that I am.
chuzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #39
Motorrad Steve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyHawk
...Yeah, that happened to me just last week. I stopped at an intersection and a teenager walked up to me and said, "Can I take it around the block?"

My response." What?? No way."

His response, "Hey, I'm not playin"

I just laughed and rode off. People are insane.
I can't believe that someone would ask to ride your bike. What are they insane?
Motorrad Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #40
Motorrad Steve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
One time after I got done eating lunch at Carl's Jr and I was getting set to ride. A guy walked up to me and asked if my BMW XCountry was a Buell. I told him it was a BMW. He asked a few questions about the bike and I answered them. He just kept talking and had no clue that I was trying to leave. Even after I was fully dressed, mounted, and the engine was running. I finally told him, that I have to go and if he wanted more information about BMW Motorcycles then he should visit a dealer. Visor down and I was gone.
Motorrad Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #41
Scotty J
Obedient Consumer

Oddometer: 273
Buell owner here:

1) You've got a headlight out.
2) Your bike's still running (cooling fan).
3) What size is it? It's a 1203. No way-- it's too small!

Kids always give me the "wheelie" (up & down) hand sign. I ignore them. I can wheelie my bike, but only by accident.

I was once stopped at a light and I had some HD T-shirt wearing goofball walk up to me in the road to inform me that the Ulysses was a bike that never should have been built. My Uly's kinda noisy (sorry, ADVRider Db police), so as soon as I realized he was insulting my choice of bike I whacked the throttle a few times to drown out his idiocy. The light changed. I rode off. He walked back to the sidewalk.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #42
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Chatting with a weekend warrior on a cruiser next to me as the ferry approaches the dock:

Him: "I've never ridden a BMW. I hear they're the Cadillac of motorcycles."
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #43
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
¿De dónde eres? [where are you from?]

¿Adónde vas? [Where are you going?]

not really that dumb, considering a gringo riding in S Am.

In Ladakh India the kids run out and stick there hands out in hopes you'll give them a high speed high 5 as you pass. The more it stings, the more delighted thay seem, now that's dumb!
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #44
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,323
Some people cant distiguish their own ass from a hole in the ground...I ride a '95 Honda ST1100 ...It clearly says Honda on it from any angle...and yet I get "Is that a BMW?" Because of my Hi-Viz jackets I get the "Are you a fireman?" My answer "No I'm a retired cop" That usually is the end of it...
I will say that many times good people will talk about motorcycling and relate some fascinating stories. I always try to be agoodwill ambassodor for our sport...but it really does depend on whom I am speaking with.
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #45
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE
I always try to be a goodwill ambassodor for our sport...but it really does depend on whom I am speaking with.
Sport? What type of bike do you race?