Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #4876
bajadogs
n00b

Oddometer: 3
KLR650 questions:

Most common:
What is that sewage pipe for? (homemade tool holder)
What's your gas milage?

Kid in So Cal:
"You got ice cream boxes on there?" (referring to aluminum panniers)

Dude in So Cal a few years ago: "Right on! breaking out the vintage! What year is that?" (referring to my 2001 klr650)

Old man in Mexico:
"You brought all that stuff down here on THAT?"

Cop: "Can I see you driver's license? What are you doing up here tonight, hanging a leak? I don't have a problem with that." Then he circles my bike, hands me back my license and says "That is a bad-ass bike, have a nice night"

I've never had a negative remark and nobody has ever asked if they can ride it. I always get the kids motioning at me to do wheelies. I enjoy the small talk and curious conversations, especially in Mexico with the language barrier.
bajadogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #4877
RattleCanRacer
AKA: Steve.

Oddometer: 49
I had a hundred things attached to my Xr500 for a week trip, totally loaded up, and dirty as hell. Some older dude asked me where the library was.
Presently: 87 Elite 150, Plated 100% rebuilt NOS 82' single carb XR500, NightHawk 650, CB400. My friend told me my Motorcycle smells weird. I told him, "I haven't figured out how to tune the smell yet." Another friend asked "Does your Elite have power surges?" I said "I wish!"
RattleCanRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #4878
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Mine says (kind of loudly) potato-potato-potato-potato any time a Hardly goes by. We had to teach her a bit of discretion at big gatherings and Dealerships.
A buddy of mine was driving across Montana in the morning. His four year old daughter had a bathroom emergency so he pulled off of the freeway and went into a biker bar and asked the bartender if his daughter could please use the bathroom. "Sure, nobody's puked in there yet today."

On the way out his daughter said, "Daddy, aren't you going to say thank you to the pirate?"
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #4879
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
All this is a side effect of cars becoming safer. If even a minor crash meant serious injuries, many fewer would drive distracted but today you can total a car and just walk away feeling a bit shaken up.

So the safety nazis have, in a very real sense, created a nation of distracted drivers. That's a stretch... Really.
A buddy and I were driving one day and talking about this subject. I was recalling my 1971 Chevy truck with the solid steel dash, non collapsing steering column, and absence of crumple zones. It would have been a tough vehicle to ride out a wreck in for sure but when I was driving it neither I nor anyone else had cell phones, Ipods, Ipads or laptop computers to say nothing of portable dvd players like the guy I spotted watching the other day. There were also less than a quarter as many cars on the road and the me generation hadn't had a chance to spawn yet... Just my rambling.

Back on topic. A little grey haired lady at a gas stop in Green River, "are you in a motorcycle gang?" "Nope, just me, Ma'am."
Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #4880
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadogs View Post
What is that sewage pipe for? (homemade tool holder)
I have one on my bike. When asked what it is I always say "sewer hook up".

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #4881
Syphoon
Syphoon

Oddometer: 16
Just a side note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
My mum, bless her, insisted my brother and I do almost all of our learner's permit driving in stick shifts (we had a used car lot, so I can't tell you the numbers of different things I've driven for 3 days to a year, but the numbers are huge).

We were allowed to borrow an automatic for the actual test, though we were still given large cars to do it with instead of, say, a VW Rabbit (which I thought would have been a way to cheat the tests, lol).
We went to Switzerland last Spring and found that nearly all the cars were manuals.
And everybody somehow knew the traffic rules and followed them. Must be Commies or sumptin.
Oh, at red lights, bikes can pull ahead to go first and nobody bats an eye. You just might get a different reaction in the good ol US of A.
We need to invade them and occupy, atleast until I'm too old to ride.
Syphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #4882
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphoon View Post
Oh, at red lights, bikes can pull ahead to go first and nobody bats an eye. You just might get a different reaction in the good ol US of A.
We need to invade them and occupy, atleast until I'm too old to ride.
If you lived in a decent state (i.e., California), you could pull to the front at red lights without causing anyone to bat an eye (unless they recently move here from some other state and don't know the customs yet).
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #4883
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Hey, while you're at it, make them take it with a manual transmission too. I made my kids do that.
No manual transmission, but my three took their driver's test in my celebrity wagon. If they can parallel park, K-turn that, they can drive anything!
They've done pretty good since, too.

Steve
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #4884
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037

The other night I rode the bike to my wife's softball game, I walk up to the fence wearing my jacket, carrying gloves with my helmet under my arm. As a rider herself I never expected, (DID YOU RIDE THE BIKE?)
I was so shocked, My mind flashed back to this page and all I could get out was. No I drove the damn truck and just wanted to be safe!
The crowd went wild. She was a little red faced for a few minutes.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #4885
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
If you lived in a decent state (i.e., California), you could pull to the front at red lights without causing anyone to bat an eye (unless they recently move here from some other state and don't know the customs yet).
California is so bass ackward about everything else I am glad you get something decent.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #4886
rgb2cmyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I have one on my bike. When asked what it is I always say "sewer hook up".
...which you installed after having a few close calls where you nearly shit yourself...
09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #4887
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 465
Parked at Palouse Falls in Eastern Washington State on my ZRX1100 with Alabama plates (I was working out there for a 12 month duration and trailered the zrx when I drove out there with my belongings). Old couple saw the Bama plates and said............"Alabama?? You sure drove a long way". I said......."yeah, I had to leave there real early this morning to get this far". They both just stared at me.............
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #4888
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Parked at Palouse Falls in Eastern Washington State on my ZRX1100 with Alabama plates (I was working out there for a 12 month duration and trailered the zrx when I drove out there with my belongings). Old couple saw the Bama plates and said............"Alabama?? You sure drove a long way". I said......."yeah, I had to leave there real early this morning to get this far". They both just stared at me.............
What was stupid about the question? Sounds like someone trying to be friendly and initiate a conversation, well until your snarky response.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #4889
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Geeze. Why didn't you spit on them while you were at it?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #4890
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Why bother reading (let alone replying) this forum, if you can't see the humor in replys and that the majority are usually said in jest.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote