Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #5311
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
I'd never encountered this concept that I should crash my motorcycle to avoid a crash until I read about it in this forum; it seems to be a uniquely American thing, just as the non riding American public ?

Itís called taking the lesser of two evils. You can, A) run down the little girl that ran out of the hedgerow or B) ride into the ditch to avoid the kid.
Iím going swimming.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #5312
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Dave View Post
Itís called taking the lesser of two evils. You can, A) run down the little girl that ran out of the hedgerow or B) ride into the ditch to avoid the kid.
Iím going swimming.
At least then you have control of your bike all the way to the ditch. Layin'er down to me is simply giving up and laying the bike on it's side to use the shiny bits to slow the bike down, at which point you give up all control over the situation and it's in "fate's hands" at that point.

Any back on topic

Imagine I'm riding wherever and I'm geared up
Random person: "Hey aren't you hot in that getup why don't you wear a t-shirt?"
Me: "no."

Then turn around and walk out before they can say anything else.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #5313
Big Red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Everyday I'm working in the office, if it's been raining at all I'll hear: "Ooooh, you're gonna get a wet bum!" as I'm heading out the door. If I'm on the pushy, I'll say: "Nah, brought some garbage bags with me", if I'm on the Moto, it'll be: "Yep! ...wanna come?"
Old 08-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #5314
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Dave View Post
Iím going swimming.
Ride? Yer doin' it wrong. You are supposed to lay 'er down, then have both you and the bike slide past the girl into a parked car. There, crash avoided.

The other day Mrs. Pretbek and I were out to dinner with two of her fellow students and their significant others (no, not their motorcycles). During conversation I mentioned that I ride, so Ms. Significant Other asks "oh, what do you ride?".
me: "A Kawasaki Ve..." Ms: "OH! Those are really fast!"
me: "...Versys. No, it is not a sport bike, it is a fairly small upright bike."
Ms:
WTH is an "upright" bike anyway? One that didn't fall over yet? Gotta work on my explanations.

I think the immediate thought process was Kawasaki = Ninja = crotch rocket.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #5315
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Ride? Yer doin' it wrong. You are supposed to lay 'er down, then have both you and the bike slide past the girl into a parked car. There, crash avoided.

The other day Mrs. Pretbek and I were out to dinner with two of her fellow students and their significant others (no, not their motorcycles). During conversation I mentioned that I ride, so Ms. Significant Other asks "oh, what do you ride?".
me: "A Kawasaki Ve..." Ms: "OH! Those are really fast!"
me: "...Versys. No, it is not a sport bike, it is a fairly small upright bike."
Ms:
WTH is an "upright" bike anyway? One that didn't fall over yet? Gotta work on my explanations.

I think the immediate thought process was Kawasaki = Ninja = crotch rocket.
I've quit bothering on the subject of speed. I have to assume that I'm always talking to a non-rider, and thus, it's fast.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #5316
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
I've quit bothering on the subject of speed. I have to assume that I'm always talking to a non-rider, and thus, it's fast.
I try explaining to people that my ex500 is quick, not fast. That befuddles most. All they see is a bright green Kawasaki that looks like a sport bike, so it must be capable of 200 MPH! In reality, I don't know if it would do much over 100, and I have never been over about 85 on it.

Here's my completely not dumb and probably super helpful question from a few weeks ago: I was riding home from work, and the bottom was starting to drop out of the clouds. Right before it got really bad (lightening, high wind, etc) I pulled into a gas station to wait out the worst of the storm. While sitting there, this guy who was getting gas looks over from his truck and asks, "Is the bike ok?" My reply was "Yes, I am just waiting out the rain." I think had my bike really had a problem, this guy would have torn it apart to fix it in the rain. He was some kind of mechanic or construction worker by looking at his truck, tools and parts to random stuff everywhere.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #5317
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I try explaining to people that my ex500 is quick, not fast. That befuddles most. All they see is a bright green Kawasaki that looks like a sport bike, so it must be capable of 200 MPH! In reality, I don't know if it would do much over 100, and I have never been over about 85 on it.
I tried (in vain) to explain to a couple of flat-billers one day that my 250 is dog. They weren't having it.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #5318
VozProto
Type A ADD w/ OCD

Oddometer: 181
Had a post-worthy comment from my boss the other day.
Note: I don't like my boss and I am quite certain he knows it.

He comes to the door of my office trying to make small talk and asks, "So, did you ride your motorcycle today?"

photo (2) by r6dink, on Flickr
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #5319
Fast FOG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
So. Did you?

When the forest burns along the road like God's eyes in my headlights, when the dogs are lookin' for their bones and its raining ice-picks on your steel shores, I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run. Johnny Cash -- Unchained
Fast FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #5320
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
I think the "is it fast" question is not necessarily a non-rider thing, it's just a moron thing.

I think I told the story about the former coworker who saw my airhead and first thing he said was, "I guess that's cool." I wasn't trying to impress him or anyone for that matter. He later asked, "Is it fast?" "Uh, yup." I didn't bother explaining that it's nearly 40 years old with 120k miles on it.

A couple months ago, I saw him as I was driving my clapped out 1985 318i with different colored body panels and dry-rotted tires, that smokes like a 2-stroke. First thing he asks, "Is it fast?" "Uh, yup."

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #5321
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
I'd never encountered this concept that I should crash my motorcycle to avoid a crash until I read about it in this forum; it seems to be a uniquely American thing, just as the non riding American public seems to think that motorcycles come in not more than 3 flavours and sometimes less:
Harleys (proper motorcycles for proper Americans)
Crotchrockets (racing bikes for young hooligans)
Trail bikes (minibikes which got bigger, for playing in the woods, but never for transport)

Which makes me wonder about it's origins. (ALERT My tongue is firmly in my cheek) I wonder if it is part of the same phenomenon, that it is simply because in the eyes of the American public, motorcycles are Harleys and Harleys are prone to falling over if the rider attempts to stop or change course abruptly?
My first encounter with the concept was the television show "Chips", where Ponch laid down his police bike. Even my 10 year old mind could not make sense of it. Not that I had a better solution, but I knew it wouldn't work on my bicycle.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #5322
VozProto
Type A ADD w/ OCD

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast FOG View Post
So. Did you?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #5323
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast FOG View Post
So. Did you?

No, he brings it in the truck each day, and unloads it in the parking lot so he can keep an eye on it while working...here's your sign.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #5324
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I had one of these, a '93. The fastest I ever got it, according to my GPS, was 106mph and it just would not go any faster.

Might prove useful should you find yourself being chased by someone on a KLR or something...
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #5325
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Today's gem, as I'm unzipping my leather oversuit.

"Are you Batman?"
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote