Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #5521
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,734
I had my 990 Adventure up on the center stand out side a store, a little kid asked if he could sit on it so of course I let him and told him if you put 25 cents in the slot in the side of the bag , the bike will rock up and down like riding off road, so I let him have 25 cents and put my hand on the tail rack and pushed it down-up-down-up ect. for a min, he had a good time.
forrestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #5522
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestrider View Post
I had my 990 Adventure up on the center stand out side a store, a little kid asked if he could sit on it so of course I let him and told him if you put 25 cents in the slot in the side of the bag , the bike will rock up and down like riding off road, so I let him have 25 cents and put my hand on the tail rack and pushed it down-up-down-up ect. for a min, he had a good time.
Hmmm. A marketing opportunity.

How many rides for the price of a coffee?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #5523
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Had a guy approach me yesterday, said he really liked my bike, what kind is it? What size? He walked around it, nodding. Saying "Yeah, nice. I like it."

Then he asks, "Do you smell exhaust fumes when you ride?"

Huh?

He pointed to my exhaust, and asks sort of rhetorically, "Do you smell like exhaust fumes after you ride?" He goes on to tell me about a bike he had which had "shorty pipes," and he said that whenever he rode it he could smell exhaust and his clothes smelled when he got off the bike.

I told him I'd never had a problem. My bike had the stock exhaust.

He told me to be safe and walked on.

Oy vey. Guys riding around breathing carbon monoxide. No wonder Harley riders can't ride.

Jamie
Not that weird of a question, IMO. I have soft saddlebags on my Ninja 250 pretty much 24/7. They tend to accumulate the smell of exhaust after a ride, since the pipes exit underneath them. I think they disturb the airflow over the bike enough that the fumes get caught in some turbulence and tossed over the bags and some of my riding gear (pants, mostly.) So yes, I tend to smell like exhaust after riding that bike.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #5524
Stphnw8
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I used to work for the AA in the uk and rode a Honda pan European st1100 for them as my breakdown vehicle and I used to attend all the bike breakdowns... I once went out to a guy in all the gear and a nice gsxr 750 and the fault was a puncture, when I got there the guys first words were " this one won't take you long as its only flat at the bottom" I gave out a little sarcastic laugh at his joke! The problem was he wasn't joking! He genuinely thought it was only punctured at the bottom of the tyre..... And was completely embarrassed when I explained to him the whole tyre was flat...
Stphnw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #5525
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stphnw8 View Post
I used to work for the AA in the uk and rode a Honda pan European st1100 for them as my breakdown vehicle and I used to attend all the bike breakdowns... I once went out to a guy in all the gear and a nice gsxr 750 and the fault was a puncture, when I got there the guys first words were " this one won't take you long as its only flat at the bottom" I gave out a little sarcastic laugh at his joke! The problem was he wasn't joking! He genuinely thought it was only punctured at the bottom of the tyre..... And was completely embarrassed when I explained to him the whole tyre was flat...
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #5526
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
What a great story! My little guy (not quite two yet) loves having a sit on the bike with Dad. Too young to have a ride yet, but he's worked it out, used to love just sitting in front of me on the seat, no he stretches out along the tank to get a handful of the bars and make all the light noises
Back in 96 my girlfriend at the time had a two year old who loved to sit on my bike. I mistakenly showed him the starter button and he woild sit on the bike, starting it and stopping it until he ran the battery dead. Ive got a scan of a fuzzy polaroid with the two of us on the bike.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #5527
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
Back in 96 my girlfriend at the time had a two year old who loved to sit on my bike. I mistakenly showed him the starter button and he woild sit on the bike, starting it and stopping it until he ran the battery dead. Ive got a scan of a fuzzy polaroid with the two of us on the bike.
I mistakenly showed my kids the HORN button when they were younger. I would let them sit on the bike when I was working in the garage and would sometimes get startled when they would blast the horn(they were pretty fast to figure out you had to turn the key on first). And when they were small enough to sit up front for rides, my boys would often sneak a hand from their grip on the tank bag to beep the horn at pedestrians and whomever/whatever they decided was worth honking at. They really liked when they saw someone they knew. I don't think my kids realized that most of those people hadn't a clue who they were under their full face helmet, but they got a kick out of it anyway.....good times I hope they will remember.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #5528
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyphil View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but my most hated question is, "staying dry?" when it's pouring out.
Tempted to ask if they would like to trade jackets, just to help a fellow out!
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #5529
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,383
Not stupid I guess but again yesterday and again from some German tourist.

What nationality are you?

There is only one sticker on my mostly German bike.

Then they'll say nice bike and I'll go on telling them about the parts made in Poland/France/Japan/Taiwan etc....etc....!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #5530
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,285
I had an old fella at a Tim's walk up and say "You must be Dutch"
er, no, not even remotely, why?
"Because your bike is orange"
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #5531
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
I had an old fella at a Tim's walk up and say "You must be Dutch"
er, no, not even remotely, why?
"Because your bike is orange"

I get it.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #5532
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
A few months ago I was loading my new KTM 500 EXC into my truck at the dealership. There were 3 Mexican kids dressed in T shirts on crotch rockets parked beside me, I think they were waiting for a buddy inside. Anyway they were bored so they had to ask all the stupid questions. How much was your bike? I just replied "enough". Next in was, How fast does it go? I'm like "fast enough". Then, of course they wanted to race, and I'm like "sure, follow me to some sweet single track. Then it was, What is single track? I just laughed and drove off.

just curious, did you blow them off like that because they were mexicans or because they were interested in your bike?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #5533
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
just curious, did you blow them off like that because they were mexicans or because they were interested in your bike?
Start that shit somewhere else.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #5534
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
A few months ago I was loading my new KTM 500 EXC into my truck at the dealership. There were 3 Mexican kids dressed in T shirts on crotch rockets parked beside me, I think they were waiting for a buddy inside. Anyway they were bored so they had to ask all the stupid questions. How much was your bike? I just replied "enough". Next in was, How fast does it go? I'm like "fast enough". Then, of course they wanted to race, and I'm like "sure, follow me to some sweet single track. Then it was, What is single track? I just laughed and drove off.
In other words, you were a dick.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #5535
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Start that shit somewhere else.
hehehe, I think wentjo set his own self up. so, relax pal he has it coming.

waveydavey screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 11:58 AM
waveydavey is online now   Reply With Quote