User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #5596
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 533
Two this summer:

1st, in Scranton: I'm sitting next to the bike, in the shade, having a sip of water. Guy walks up to me and says, "Can you fix the air conditioning on my car?"

2nd, in Louisiana someplace (I'm from New York): Guy looks at my plate while I'm gassing up and says, "You ride that thing here?"

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #5597
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
I've never had mine over 205kph. Of course, it doesn't even make that.....
Had a great ride today. Long boring highway ride, saw a fast moving bike ~1/2 mile ahead. Went WFO right up to ~150/240 for a short ways, other bike took the exit I needed.

Caught him as we neared the red light at the exit end, was a state trooper. Didn't even look over at me.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #5598
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Had a great ride today. Long boring highway ride, saw a fast moving bike ~1/2 mile ahead. Went WFO right up to ~150/240 for a short ways, other bike took the exit I needed.

Caught him as we neared the red light at the exit end, was a state trooper. Didn't even look over at me.
OOPS!

I had a similar experience, I was riding my 79 KZ 650 flat out on Route 83 I realized I couldn't see my brother in my mirrors, and wondered where he went. I then realized that I was at my exit so I slid over and down the ramp. Just as I was going down the ramp I saw the state trooper go blowing past the exit! Lucky me that day!!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #5599
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,611
"Is that a KTM?"

Kawasaki Z1000 by Southwade, on Flickr
Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #5600
woodentoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
Had my first "Isn't getting too cold to ride that thing?" of the season this morning. Hell, is was at least 37F.
I usually find that people that ask that question are the same ones that ride snowmobiles. WTF??
woodentoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #5601
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Speaking of snowmobiles, a couple of years ago a friend and I were in a country town 200km north of Melbourne to look at what turned out to be my new (2nd hand) Kawasaki Sherpa, and one of the bike shops in town was having a demo day for the Can-Am Spyders. Well, we both had our helmets and gear, so we signed up and had a ride.

They were very peculiar.

They were as wide as a car and as exposed as a bike. They were the price of a respectable second hand MX5/Miata.

The ride started with several km of dead straight two lane rural highway due east of town (Shepparton for the Aussies) in a blustery southerly wind and we were being blown about quite a bit. And the thing was, our natural instinct to counter steer very slightly into the gusts had exactly the opposite of the desired effect, leading to weaving down the road feeling certain you were going to spear off the road due to a software incompatibility in your head. A bit like a motorcyclist trying to use an outboard motor with a tiller mounted throttle which rotates the opposite direction.

Towards the end of our test ride we were both beginning to come to terms with them, and they were kind of interesting to ride, but we couldn't really see the point as an alternative to either a big bike or a small open sports car. (We have a friend who rides and also drives an MX5; it's a really nice car)

We were discussing our experiences afterwards when it finally dawned on us what market they are aimed at.

They're a fair weather snowmobile.

So if you're filling up your Spyder one day at a petrol station in Melbourne and some twit on a Sherpa comes over and asks you how you like your snowmobile, now you'll know why I asked such a stupid question.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #5602
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
... They're a fair weather snowmobile.
Of course they are: on-pavement snowmobiles. Just consider who makes them and where most of the users are.
In snowmobile country (Quebec), the roads are full of them.
Not my cup of tea, but sure look like fun.

Come to think of it, anything that has a motor and is designed for entertainment has to be fun!
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #5603
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,928
Meh.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #5604
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
I was waiting at a light when a man in a restaurant's parking lot to my right yelled "this is the first time that I have seen one that small".
No, he wasn't talking about my manhood, I was wearing pants. He was referring to my Kawasaki Versys with a "Hardley Davidson" decal on the tank.
And crash bars mounted. And a skid plate. Indeed, Hardley.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #5605
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysniper View Post
i often get approached by people, i have heard some really cool motorcycling stories from old timers, learned about new places to ride (on and off road),sometimes the people i meet aren't worth fooling with, but for the most part i get a big kick out of the gas station conversations. It's all cool, i'll talk to everyone of 'em.
+ 1
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #5606
Chazza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
To be fair, most of the time people steer away from me...

I have no idea why! Maybe it's my bike that scares them away - an all black Triumph Speed Triple but with no plastics on. Or maybe they don't like the idea of approaching quite a big guy (6'2'', a lean 210lb) who's wearing beat-up old black leathers. Meh.

However, when folks DO summon the courage to talk to me (I am really quite agreeable!), I quite like it, so long as I'm not in a hurry to be someplace. Old-boys are usually cool, with mad stories of police-chases through country lanes in the 60's, on their then latest, greatest rocketship Bonne or 650 Commando...

As I'm in the sunny UK, there's not so many intolerant assholes asking dumb questions. Or at least that I've personally found. Plenty of people (50/50 split men and women I've found) on mobile phones though

I do get some attention when I go touring though - I guess riding an un-faired bike 1000's of miles including off-road gets you some kind of respect. I got put up for free in Albania by a bar / bike shop owner for talking to him for 20 minutes. He bought me beer all night, and we sped around visiting many bars (getting very drunk, riding far too quickly quickly and VERY dangerously) around his home city Durrs. Stuff like that makes a trip worth while, no? Memorable at least!

Chaz
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #5607
aeneas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Haven't had much weird questions (unfortunately ?).
Once had a girl at work ask me if I was with my motorcycle. Answered no, I'm kinky and just like to walk around dressed in leather. Since then I try to answer polite when people want to start a conversation..

Most cold/rain questions I answer with 'I'm dressed well so no problem'

Lately had a neighbour come over when I just wanted to leave:
- is that a 600 you have ?
- no it's an 800
- oh.. I don't know much about motorcycles....

Last year around april/may had a guy on an HD shout to me while we were waiting at a red light 'finally good weather for a ride'. I just nodded my head. Didn't want to tell him I drive all year round..
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #5608
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
Last year around april/may had a guy on an HD shout to me while we were waiting at a red light 'finally good weather for a ride'. I just nodded my head. Didn't want to tell him I drive all year round..
Even when you ride year round, the first nice weather of late September/early October is welcome. There's that wonderful day in late September when you're riding south down a street in the middle of the day and it suddenly dawns on you that with the Spring sun on your back, you're actually uncomfortably warm inside all the gear.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #5609
TheLandYacht
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
You've apparently never been to Central Texas during early (or late) winter...it can go from the low 30's to the 70's...and BACK in the space of a day. So it is very possible for cold to sneak up on ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Gordon View Post
"Did you get caught out in this?"

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET "CAUGHT OUT IN THE COLD"? It ain't like it can sneak up on you.
TheLandYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #5610
TheLandYacht
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
On the flipside, no matter how good the question if the guy's being a smarmy douchebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
I don't care how stupid the questions are if the person is trying to be nice and trying to strike up a conversation. I kinda enjoy meeting strangers on the road. Although there are some funny questions. "Does all that stuff really help if you crash?"
TheLandYacht is offline   Reply With Quote