DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Moped= Motorized Peddle bike.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #5732
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Varies by state: They are the same category in NC: http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/other-types.php

Many cities have lower maximum speed limits than 30 mph, too: I think Durham is 20mph for an unlicensed moped/scooter. Plenty of single-speed, sub 50cc scooters without pedals sold in NC, too.

Word is they'll be treated like motorcycles for licensing soon, so the only practical differences will be power.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #5733
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
The difference between a moped and scooter is pretty easy but I think the line gets blurry between scooter and motorcycle.
Scooter has a "step through" platform?

ray h screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 09:47 AM
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #5734
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
The difference between a moped and scooter is pretty easy but I think the line gets blury between scooter and motorcycle.
Scooter has a "step through" platform?

Not a blurry distinction at all, and you nailed it. A scooter has a step through frame and the engine is usually mounted to, or comprises in itself, the rear swingarm.

All mopeds, by definition, have pedals.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #5735
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Not a blurry distinction at all, and you nailed it. A scooter has a step through frame and the engine is usually mounted to, or comprises in itself, the rear swingarm.
Honda C90 - scooter or motorcycle?
Blurry I say.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #5736
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Honda C90 - scooter or motorcycle?
Blurry I say.

Looks like a scooter to me.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #5737
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

Me too, but Honda called it a motorcycle????
All I'm saying is there are several examples of "motorcycles" that look like scooters.

How about this, looks more like a motorcycle but still step through. BTW, I'd like to have one of these, but still wouldn't know whether to call it a scooter or motorcycle. It had a low range in the transmission, how cool is that.

ray h screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 10:27 AM
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #5738
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

Biggest distinction I see between a motorcycle and a scooter is footpegs vs the "floor board" of most scooters. The C90 has a sort of "step through" design but it has footpegs, where almost every scooter Ive ever seen has that little "floor board" kind of space between the seat and front wheel.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #5739
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Biggest distinction I see between a motorcycle and a scooter is footpegs vs the "floor board" of most scooters. The C90 has a sort of "step through" design but it has footpegs, where almost every scooter Ive ever seen has that little "floor board" kind of space between the seat and front wheel.
You may be on to something, but I bet you could find examples of "scooters" with footpegs though.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #5740
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
You may be on to something, but I bet you could find examples of "scooters" with footpegs though.
Youre probably right. Thats more or less just my personal opinion on what "defines" a scooter.

On a more "on topic" note;

Yesterday morning heading to work (was 24deg when I left), I stop to get gas and fill my coffee cup. Some guy walks up "Arent you freezing??". Me: Actually Im sweating my ass off right now. Him: , and walks away.

Didnt tell him abuot the thermals I was wearing, under the Gerbings jacket running on full, under the thermal liner, under the rain liner with my riding jacket on. LOL. By that point it had risen to a balmy 40deg, and I really was starting to sweat.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #5741
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
They're all bicycles.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #5742
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
I got another "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles" at the weekend. I suppose that's a statement, not a question, but it is the most frequent thing I hear. A close second would be "Do a wheelie" but the most frequent actual questions are "How fast does it go?", which is not really a stupid question, and "Aren't you cold?" which, on the face of it is not stupid, but I wouldn't ride if I couldn't do it relatively comfortably, and I'm usually bundled up pretty well when I hear that one, so I think it's a bit stupid. I'd imagine it's about the same for most riders.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #5743
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
ALL: That plus wheel size does it for me. 12 inch wheels make me start calling the stuff a scooter. Any wheel small enough to make me want to dodge the odd brick, curb, and nearly every pothole makes me think scooter. Also, engine placement under the seat makes me think scooter. There are a bunch of factors when combined make think scooter. The more factors, the more scooter. If it is so small that riding it standing up is not a good option unless you are a kid, it might be a scooter.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #5744
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Got behind someone in an SUV, two days ago, who came to a stop at a "T" intersection, no place to go straight, just left or right. No directional on, just stops. No traffic, I wait for half a minute, then pull up to go around. He pulls out just before I can pass, and I stop, so he doesn't hit me.

Me: ADV salute.

Him: Gets out of his car: "Gobbley gook" (no clue what he said).

Me: (After noticing the shape of his head seams abnormal) "What were you, sleeping"?

Him: "In a big fn' hurry on a GD bike", (I cleaned that up).

Me: Shaking my head, no more to say.

I let him go ahead, very short distance to a traffic light, he's in the right lane for right turn only, no directional again. I am behind him, and he's going the same way I want to go. I make a left at the next street, and find a different way to get there.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #5745
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Got behind someone in an SUV, two days ago, who came to a stop at a "T" intersection, no place to go straight, just left or right. No directional on, just stops. No traffic, I wait for half a minute, then pull up to go around. He pulls out just before I can pass, and I stop, so he doesn't hit me.

Me: ADV salute.

Him: Gets out of his car: "Gobbley gook" (no clue what he said).

Me: (After noticing the shape of his head seams abnormal) "What were you, sleeping"?

Him: "In a big fn' hurry on a GD bike", (I cleaned that up).

Me: Shaking my head, no more to say.

I let him go ahead, very short distance to a traffic light, he's in the right lane for right turn only, no directional again. I am behind him, and he's going the same way I want to go. I make a left at the next street, and find a different way to get there.

It's always better to avoid the morons of this world... if you can't take them out with a tactical nuclear strike.