Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #5776
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Dinner table discussion tonight with another couple, guy makes a comment about wanting to buy a bike.

First hilarious point: Oiling my chain every 200-300 miles is excessive. His buddy does it when he does oil changes, which is every 5000 miles, and he's never had a problem. Same buddy has a rejetted Katana that can outrun Hayabusas. Yeah.

Second, not quite as funny, but still somewhat funny point: it's really not that bad riding in the winter. He rode his buddy's bike when it was 10 degrees and he just put his Carhartt jacket on over a t-shirt and was good. This is after I explained to him how I really love my neck gaiter and just got some heated gloves. His wife blew his macho cover, though, when she said, "Hun, you were only out for like 10 minutes and you came back shivering!"

The "i'm not cold because i'm a real man" attitude irks me. It's cold. You're human. You're cold. It's okay to admit you're freaking cold. Pretending you're not is just making you look like an idiot, not really manly. I ride year round out of necessity and I will admit sometimes it's just plain cold, especially without the appropriate gear.

/rant
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #5777
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
I was on an ATV ride this past summer on my XR. There was guy talking about his Honda 919 he used to have. It would do 200. I just giggled to myself and walked off.

You gotta love those "motorcycle experts."
Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #5778
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
Maybe he meant KPH

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #5779
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Dinner table discussion tonight with another couple, guy makes a comment about wanting to buy a bike.

First hilarious point: Oiling my chain every 200-300 miles is excessive. His buddy does it when he does oil changes, which is every 5000 miles, and he's never had a problem. Same buddy has a rejetted Katana that can outrun Hayabusas. Yeah.

Second, not quite as funny, but still somewhat funny point: it's really not that bad riding in the winter. He rode his buddy's bike when it was 10 degrees and he just put his Carhartt jacket on over a t-shirt and was good. This is after I explained to him how I really love my neck gaiter and just got some heated gloves. His wife blew his macho cover, though, when she said, "Hun, you were only out for like 10 minutes and you came back shivering!"

The "i'm not cold because i'm a real man" attitude irks me. It's cold. You're human. You're cold. It's okay to admit you're freaking cold. Pretending you're not is just making you look like an idiot, not really manly. I ride year round out of necessity and I will admit sometimes it's just plain cold, especially without the appropriate gear.

/rant
I agree. Anything below 40° is cold enough for me to connect the heated gear. There are times when it's in the 20s and I ride to work without connecting the heated gear, because it's only a 5-minute commute, but it's still cold.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #5780
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I.............. There was guy talking about his Honda 919 he used to have. It would do 200. I just giggled to myself and walked off.

You gotta love those "motorcycle experts."

Yea, my father in law keeps telling me his 1976 gold wing did 150, and got over 50 mpg, and that was with his Vetter windjammer and VW Beetle sized top box attached.

Also is convinced that they used the GW motor in their race bikes.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #5781
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post

/rant
Usually a good indicator that the person has nil experience with cold weather and doesn't get cold because the distance from their house to their car and car to place of work is so short and means they are out in the cold for less than a minute.

A not so stupid question I was once asked - Hotel Owner "Are you riding a skidoo?" I had just rolled up to the hotel entrance covered from head to toe in ice from the freezing rain storm that had caught me just outside of Montreal. I had left Ottawa a few hours previously and when I left Ottawa it was pouring rain and cold but not to terrible. I just needed to get to Quebec City but once the hwy turned to a skating rink I had to get off the road and find a place to wait it out. I literally had to chip ice away from the starter on the bike after I checked in so I could push the button as it was encased in ice. I was wet, frozen and happy to have found shelter. There are at least a few photos of me some where out there as people in cars were driving by taking pictures.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #5782
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
A not so stupid question I was once asked - Hotel Owner "Are you riding a skidoo?" I had just rolled up to the hotel entrance covered from head to toe in ice from the freezing rain storm that had caught me just outside of Montreal. I had left Ottawa a few hours previously and when I left Ottawa it was pouring rain and cold but not to terrible. I just needed to get to Quebec City but once the hwy turned to a skating rink I had to get off the road and find a place to wait it out. I literally had to chip ice away from the starter on the bike after I checked in so I could push the button as it was encased in ice. I was wet, frozen and happy to have found shelter. There are at least a few photos of me some where out there as people in cars were driving by taking pictures.
Brrrrrrr.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #5783
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Just now, someone followed me home to ask me if my k9 wee was a BMW.

I said it was a suzuki, and it only costs half as much. He then asked me if they last as long as a BMW. (you can't make this shit up!)
Had a fella stop me on the way out of the building at the end of the day once, asking me if the blu Wee in the parking lot was mine, which it was. From the rest of the conversation I deduced that he had been doing a lot of research about buying one. At the end of our little chat he said "I've owned a few BMWs. That bike should be a BMW." I wasn't exactly sure what he meant by that, but I think he was complimenting Suzuki on making a reliable adventure touring bike.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #5784
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Yea, my father in law keeps telling me his 1976 gold wing did 150, and got over 50 mpg, and that was with his Vetter windjammer and VW Beetle sized top box attached.

Also is convinced that they used the GW motor in their race bikes.
I had a 75 Wing set up much like that. Maybe 100. Maybe. 35mpg would be about right.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #5785
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Okay, legitimate question: what's the difference between a scooter and a moped? Not trolling... I really don't know.
One more tidbit on these: on the original "mopeds", the pedals were used to start the motor, but not really intended to propel the vehicle for any distance due to the resistance. My 6 foot 6 inch tall father-in-law had one before I knew him, which was quite comical to watch from what I hear...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #5786
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
One more tidbit on these: on the original "mopeds", the pedals were used to start the motor, but not really intended to propel the vehicle for any distance due to the resistance. My 6 foot 6 inch tall father-in-law had one before I knew him, which was quite comical to watch from what I hear...
Growing up in the 70s, I knew some neighbor kids who had a moped. I don't think I heard the term "scooter" until a few years ago. Then again, I tend to live in blissful ignorance.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #5787
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Growing up in the 70s, I knew some neighbor kids who had a moped. I don't think I heard the term "scooter" until a few years ago. Then again, I tend to live in blissful ignorance.
Yeah, a friend had a Moped back in the 70s. A scooter back then is what we'd call a razor today.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #5788
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadHahn View Post
Yeah, a friend had a Moped back in the 70s. A scooter back then is what we'd call a razor today.

Chad

I'm getting old
The youngest generation thinks a Razor is something made by Polaris!
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #5789
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
I'm getting old
The youngest generation thinks a Razor is something made by Polaris!
Polaris? You mean Motorola?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #5790
Stray Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
On last years trip I was loaded up to the eyeballs, looked like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards.
Someone came up to me and asked "Are you local, coz I'm lost"
Doh....

BTW, love the smiles on this forum

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote