Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #5896
The Roadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
"How does your ass feel!?" *as they stroke the seat....* Valid question I guess, given I ride on the back of my boyfriends supermoto, and we take 1000+mile trips.. (They don't realize he is stuck in the front at the 6" wide part)

But the more I get asked this, the more I am just gonna say "Just fine, thanks. Hop on the back honey." That's how it should be, am I right?
The Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #5897
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
In 2011, at the BMW MOA Rally, a young lady by the name of Stephanie received the award for the youngest rider in attendance -- 16 YOA. This year, now 17 or 18, she rode her 650GS up to Deadhorse AK and back, along with her father.

I might have run into them. I met a father/daughter on the Glenn stopping for breakfast. He was on a GS 1200. Small world.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #5898
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Talk about an uncomfortable touring bike. I ran into a dude from the Netherlands in Edolo, Italy on a Ducati 1098. Said its really not that bad. For some reason I just didn't fully believe him. His wife was a bit more sensible on a Street Triple.
I ran into a couple from Montreal on their way to LA via Vancouver a few years ago. They were on a Hayabusa. I met them in Thunder Bay, so they already had over 1000 miles in. They were looking for a pillow for her to sit on.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #5899
c3eh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Dangit D R

Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
In 2011, at the BMW MOA Rally, a young lady by the name of Stephanie received the award for the youngest rider in attendance -- 16 YOA. This year, now 17 or 18, she rode her 650GS up to Deadhorse AK and back, along with her father.
That is pretty young, shes done more riding than me I'll say that, I have yet to do an extensive tour
hopefully this summer

and I was really referring to on this forum or even this particular thread

but I know one thing indecision may or may not be my problem.....
c3eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #5900
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,096
22 on a /5, myself. Wish I could afford to pound that kinda ground at my age, but someday.

No remarks out on the /5 yet as I haven't rode it much, but a fellow practically hit me last year on the NC/VA line when I was taking a break. Wanted to buy my CB-1.

Nothing stupid about it, though. I was actually stoked to have someone recognize the bike, decals covered with a tankbag and everything.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #5901
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadie View Post
"How does your ass feel!?" *as they stroke the seat....* Valid question I guess, given I ride on the back of my boyfriends supermoto, and we take 1000+mile trips.. (They don't realize he is stuck in the front at the 6" wide part)

But the more I get asked this, the more I am just gonna say "Just fine, thanks. Hop on the back honey." That's how it should be, am I right?
Good start. There are so many possibilities.

"You tell me," as you turn around and stick out your butt.

"Ask him," as you point to your boyfriend.

"With nerve endings, like every other square inch of skin on my body."

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #5902
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadie View Post

Hey! That's MY pickup line!
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #5903
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,332
the one that always gets me,,

dumbest question anyone asks,,

"Do you know why I stopped you?"
or equally dumb,,"Do you know how fast you were going?",,
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #5904
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post

Both are an opportunity for you to confess to an offence they haven't noticed or a speed in excess of what they have measured. If their radar device says 45mph but you point out to them that you have a cracked tail light or say you think you were doing 53mph, they'll happily book you for the tail light and 53mph instead of just 45mph.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #5905
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Both are an opportunity for you to confess to an offence they haven't noticed or a speed in excess of what they have measured. If their radar device says 45mph but you point out to them that you have a cracked tail light or say you think you were doing 53mph, they'll happily book you for the tail light and 53mph instead of just 45mph.
Or let you go for being honest. Ive had that happen before.....granted it is pretty rare.

Turns on his lights, pulls me over
CHP: Know why I pulled you over?
Me : I was speeding
CHP: How fast were you going?
Me : Wasnt paying attention. Probably 70 - 75.
CHP: 72. Whats the speed limit through here?
Me : 55
CHP: Alright let me see paperwork.

Walks back to his car comes back a minute later.

CHP: I want you to answer me a question
Me : Ok
CHP: Do you want a ticket?
Me : No sir I dont
CHP: Ok. Im not going to write you. You were honest with me, you didnt lie to my face like most people do. Slow down, be safe, have a nice day.

Handed me my stuff back and I continued on to work.

Granted its pretty damn rare, but it does happen. I got out of a ticket a second time for 80 in a 55 but I think that was more because he had a more pressing emergency. After receiving a radio call (could hear the radio but not what was said) he gave me my stuff back and hauled ass.

Be honest with them and you might just be surprised when you get out of the ticket.

Another time up deer hunting, I drove back to camp having forgot to unload my rifle. Game warden just happened to be see us pull in and checked guns and license. When he found the round in the chamber, busted me for a loaded weapon the road. I count myself seriously lucky with a $500 fine and a misdemeanor. Under Fish and Game rules, its legal to drive with a loaded magazine in the gun with nothing in the chamber, state law is a little harsher. Instead of trying to bullshit my way through it I was honest and told him I just fucked up. When I went to court, he had put that in his report and the court gave me a $500 fine instead of the $5000 fine and 6 months in prison minimum had I been caught by CHP or sheriffs.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #5906
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Meh. I've always had decent luck with saying "I don't know sir, I was watching the road," when asked if I knew how fast I was going. It's generally the truth too.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #5907
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 387
Well, I spent part of almost every evening for the last 2 1/2 or 3 months reading all 395 pages of this thread. There were some good moments and some irritating ones. The biggest question that comes to my mind is, what does that say about the condition of my life?

Anyway, I've only been riding for about 6 months. Picked it up again after about 30 years off. I'm another one of those old BMW riders I guess. I wanted one all my life, and finally got it. I've had very few people even talk to me, let alone give me any of the, "get a real bike," or "can I ride it," garbage. I did have one guy go a little nuts one day as I was coming out of the Post Office over what a classic looking bike he thought it was. It's just an R100 GS. You'd have thought it was some really vintage Beemer. I guess he'd never seen an airhead.

Thanks for the fun read everybody.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #5908
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
Well, I spent part of almost every evening for the last 2 1/2 or 3 months reading all 395 pages of this thread. There were some good moments and some irritating ones. The biggest question that comes to my mind is, what does that say about the condition of my life?

I think it says more about your rekindled passion for motorbikes.

And that it's Feb, and you live in the beautiful but snowbound state of Colorado...

Hope ADVRIDER helps you through the winter!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #5909
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post

yes i do, but i'd like to hear your number first.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #5910
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
yes i do, but i'd like to hear your number first.

"Let's negotiate, officer. You say your number. I'll say my number. We'll meet somewhere in the middle."