Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #6076
BaileyAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I did not read all 400+ pages of posts, but I have been on plenty of MC trips and have gotten a ton of dumb comments/questions. But in return, I am sure that I have sounded like an idiot to the non-riding community. I just relish in the fact that when I am cruising down the interstate, the Dad in the mini van I am next to wishes he was me!
BaileyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #6077
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8phun View Post
I didn't say it,but several years ago when business women didn't ride motorcycles.

My (hot)asst manager bought a 81 Honda CBX.

Which she rode to work on casual fridays.

Our District supervisor was in the office , he asked her
"what does a little thing like you do with such a big motorcycle"?

She looked him in the eye and said"Well mr. Laney I like to put it between my legs sir"
ADV riders having fun in Warshington,,Trip to Alaska planning meet-up,,Ellensburg,,
happened to arrive at a liquor store the same time Tracy did,, I park my 1200GS on one side of a black and chrome cruiser,she parked her KTM 950 on the other side of him. I came out of the store and stored away my purchase in the bike,,cruiser Dude is waiting on his bike.then Tracy came out of the store.
Dude with chili bowl helmet says," That's an awful big bike for such a small woman.",,
,to which she quickly replied,,"That's an awful big head for such a small brain!",,I thought I'd die of a heart attack/ lack of air from laughing!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #6078
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
ADV riders having fun in Warshington,,Trip to Alaska planning meet-up,,Ellensburg,,
happened to arrive at a liquor store the same time Tracy did,, I park my 1200GS on one side of a black and chrome cruiser,she parked her KTM 950 on the other side of him. I came out of the store and stored away my purchase in the bike,,cruiser Dude is waiting on his bike.then Tracy came out of the store.
Dude with chili bowl helmet says," That's an awful big bike for such a small woman.",,
,to which she quickly replied,,"That's an awful big head for such a small brain!",,I thought I'd die of a heart attack/ lack of air from laughing!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #6079
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
Dude with chili bowl helmet says," ...
"Chili bowl!" I haven't heard that one before. That opens up a huge realm of new metaphors and put-downs. It beats pudding basin, novelty helmet or beanie.

e.g. "Are you seriously expecting that thing to protect your head or is it just a convenient way to carry your chili bowl?", or

"They were all carrying nice carbon-fiber/chrome/shiny black chili bowls",

"Why do pirates need to carry chili bowls?", etc.

I'm sure someone can come up with better than that
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #6080
Dirtslngr
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Was at the pool today, and guy sitting nearby asked why I had a cast on my arm.(I got rear ended last week). so I answered, said I had gotten in a motorcycle wreck and told him was riding a sv650. "oh that sucks man, I'm gonna get an R6". He proceeded to tell me all about how he drives 175mph in his uncle's mustang "all the time", but it isn't really fast enough for him.
The best part was when he went on to say "I've ridden a friend's GSXR 1000, and a R6. So have you ever gotten a elbow on the ground yet?"
Me-"no..."
It amazes me how people will act just to look cool. I put about 2500 street miles on my SV already before the accident, and there is no way i would hop on a liter bike, nor do I have any desire to ride a R6. And the only place anyone is going to be "dragging elbows" is on rnickeymouse's youtube channel.
Dirtslngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #6081
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtslngr View Post
I put about 2500 street miles on my SV already before the accident, and there is no way i would hop on a liter bike, nor do I have any desire to ride a R6. And the only place anyone is going to be "dragging elbows" is on rnickeymouse's youtube channel.
I agree. I had a loaner F800ST for a day. Plenty fast enough for me. If I had the money Id definitely look at picking one up for street duties. I can also definitely see myself getting splattered on a liter bike. No thanks, not my cup of tea.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #6082
Transpomgr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Don't twist the twisty thing on the right so much?
Transpomgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #6083
BeemerBT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal View Post
I refer to them as Deer Catchers!
At times, I'll try to keep a cage 800-1000 ft ahead of me as a "Deer Plow"
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #6084
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 751
"What kind of BMW is that?" When I'm riding a Yamaha...

I usually just say "the one made in Japan" and leave it at that.

Usually leaves them looking confused. Seems to happen with the FJR and the Super Tenere both. I guess the average non-rider only things of the GS and fully faired Sport Touring bikes as "BMWs". Sort of like all cruisers are HDs.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 AM   #6085
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,384
Frequently when I say I ride a motorcycle, I get asked what kind? Harley? I usually respond 180 degree Vee twin.

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #6086
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpomgr View Post
Don't twist the twisty thing on the right so much?

I don't understand.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #6087
Transpomgr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I don't understand.
Liter bikes can be as docile as any other, just go easy on the throttle. I like riding mine like a grandma most of the time, every once in a while I wind up completely alone somewhere and it try's to pull my arms off.
Transpomgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #6088
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtslngr View Post
Was at the pool today, and guy sitting nearby asked why I had a cast on my arm.(I got rear ended last week). so I answered, said I had gotten in a motorcycle wreck and told him was riding a sv650. "oh that sucks man, I'm gonna get an R6". He proceeded to tell me all about how he drives 175mph in his uncle's mustang "all the time", but it isn't really fast enough for him.
The best part was when he went on to say "I've ridden a friend's GSXR 1000, and a R6. So have you ever gotten a elbow on the ground yet?"
Me-"no..."
It amazes me how people will act just to look cool. I put about 2500 street miles on my SV already before the accident, and there is no way i would hop on a liter bike, nor do I have any desire to ride a R6. And the only place anyone is going to be "dragging elbows" is on rnickeymouse's youtube channel.
Actually there are riders than can and do get an elbow down. Watch MotoGP sometime. I've also seen a guy do it at The Dragon.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #6089
biggyfries
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
This question wasn't so much stupid as it was kinda cute. I had a white Shoei helmet with a gold iridescent shield on it and had taken it into a grocery store to pick up something or other, and as I came out I hear a lady saying "go ahead and ask him--he won't mind" So this little boy comes up to me and says courteously "Sir, are you an astronaut?" He had seen helmets that looked like that in space-walks on TV. I thought it was kinda cute of him. I had a good chuckle over it.
biggyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #6090
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpomgr View Post
Liter bikes can be as docile as any other, just go easy on the throttle. I like riding mine like a grandma most of the time, every once in a while I wind up completely alone somewhere and it try's to pull my arms off.

I recently bought a FZ1, after having an ex500. I normally ride the FZ shifting at about 5K RPMs, but when alone... yeah, it will nearly throw me off the back of the bike

Oh, someone asked me last week "Is that bike fast?" I just replied, "Probably, I haven't tried yet."