Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #6091
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

I recently bought a FZ1, after having an ex500. I normally ride the FZ shifting at about 5K RPMs, but when alone... yeah, it will nearly throw me off the back of the bike

Oh, someone asked me last week "Is that bike fast?" I just replied, "Probably, I haven't tried yet."
2nd and 3rd gear at 7k+ RPMs Love my FZ1. 85K+ miles on her.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #6092
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpomgr View Post
Liter bikes can be as docile as any other, just go easy on the throttle. I like riding mine like a grandma most of the time, every once in a while I wind up completely alone somewhere and it try's to pull my arms off.
I know what you meant. The() indicated a joke.

Personally, I love acceleration, and don't have a fear of speed. I don't trust myself with a bike that handles that well, and goes that fast. It will only be a matter of time before something bad happens. ... Maybe in another 20yrs I'll mellow out some more, and find another level of restraint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #6093
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I know what you meant. The() indicated a joke.

Personally, I love acceleration, and don't have a fear of speed. I don't trust myself with a bike that handles that well, and goes that fast. It will only be a matter of time before something bad happens. ... Maybe in another 20yrs I'll mellow out some more, and find another level of restraint.
Thats my problem with them. With that kind of acceleration and handling Id be too tempted to try it out. For my usual kind of riding my Dakar handles and acclerates plenty well, and the F800 is even better. If things pick up with work Ill be trading in for an F800GS in a few months.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #6094
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Your bike looks almost identical to mine. Except, my engine is the unpainted version (I prefer the black, but this was a deal I couldn't pass up). I am going to have to try those RPM/gear selections... sounds fun

Oh, I only have 16K miles on mine. Looks like I can go many, many more

(Have you seen the person on the FZ1 forum with over 220K miles Just minor maintenance from what I can tell.)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #6095
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
My ex wife had sat on my bike while on the center stand one day, put her hands on the grips, twisted the throttle and said "Oooh, this is loose!".
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #6096
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
That Mivv exhaust is Sexay!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #6097
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
So, leaving the gas station this morning I dropped the clutch a *bit* early and killed the engine mid-turn in the parking lot. The bike just kinda slowly went down to the ground

Not one person asked me anything. No one asked if I needed help getting up, if the bike was ok, if I was ok, etc.

Fine, I was ok, the bike was fine, and I picked it right up (its about 500 pounds) but still. I was hoping for at least something from all the people watching. Oh well.

Oh, a trucker driving by did honk his horn in laughter
In my second year of riding I had a brand new Ninja 600. I had my girl on the back and we stopped at 7-11. I pulled into a parking spot and before I could get the kickstand down the bike started leaning over. I tried to straighten it, even telling the girl to put her feet down, which she didn't do until it was too far over for me to hold it up. I could hear some people a few houses away cheering.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #6098
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Your bike looks almost identical to mine. Except, my engine is the unpainted version (I prefer the black, but this was a deal I couldn't pass up). I am going to have to try those RPM/gear selections... sounds fun

Oh, I only have 16K miles on mine. Looks like I can go many, many more

(Have you seen the person on the FZ1 forum with over 220K miles Just minor maintenance from what I can tell.
)
That would be Denise. And yes she has 200K+ miles with nothing but normal maintenance.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #6099
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
That Mivv exhaust is Sexay!
You should hear it

Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #6100
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRKC View Post
My ex wife had sat on my bike while on the center stand one day, put her hands on the grips, twisted the throttle and said "Oooh, this is loose!".
Honestly, that is not the worst thing someone has said. It is pretty funny, though.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #6101
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtslngr View Post
nor do I have any desire to ride a R6..
I said that until I rode one. They really are nice bikes to ride if you don't plan to do hundreds of miles.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #6102
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
"What kind of BMW is that?" When I'm riding a Yamaha...

I usually just say "the one made in Japan" and leave it at that.

Usually leaves them looking confused. Seems to happen with the FJR and the Super Tenere both. I guess the average non-rider only things of the GS and fully faired Sport Touring bikes as "BMWs". Sort of like all cruisers are HDs.
I get the BMW question a lot, probably because my FJR is blue and silver. BMW colors are blue and white, so the connection is understandable.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #6103
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I get the BMW question a lot, probably because my FJR is blue and silver. BMW colors are blue and white, so the connection is understandable.
I got the "BMW question" a while back - about my DR350. Granted, it has a dual headlight chin fairing with windshield, an oversize tank, and GIVI trunk on it - as well as being blue/white.

I think it's more the adventure bike = BMW thing.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #6104
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I got the "BMW question" a while back - about my DR350. Granted, it has a dual headlight chin fairing with windshield, an oversize tank, and GIVI trunk on it - as well as being blue/white.

I think it's more the adventure bike = BMW thing.
I got the question about my KTM 990 ADV this weekend.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #6105
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Honestly, that is not the worst thing someone has said. It is pretty funny, though.
I agree. I thought it was more funny than stupid. She'd never been around motorcycles until we met. It made me laugh. My friend and I still laugh about it.
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote