Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #6226
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 271
I ride a 89 TRANSALP and people are always asking me how I like it. I tell them I only have 75, 000 miles on it so I have'nt made up my mind yet.

Then you always get the folks that look at it and say "I used to have one of those and I wish I had never got rid of it".
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #6227
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
I ride a 89 TRANSALP and people are always asking me how I like it. I tell them I only have 75, 000 miles on it so I have'nt made up my mind yet.

Then you always get the folks that look at it and say "I used to have one of those and I wish I had never got rid of it".
They are referring to "dirt bikes" or "motorcycles" in general. They are all the same to the general public.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #6228
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Yesterday, getting gas in in the GSA loaner bike just before I return to the dealer to pick up my bike. I'm wearing full gear including full face helmet. Young girl pulls up in a truck and asks where I work. Thinking maybe she believed I was someone else, I just say, "I'm not from around here. I'm just stopping by the motorcycle dealer." She then asks, "is that your bike?" Duh. She then asks, "what year is your bike and how much did it cost?" At this point, I'm trying to figure out what angle she is coming from as she seems too interested in money (where I work and cost of bike). I ask her why she is asking these questions. She responds about saying something about she likes bikes and then immediately again asks how expensive my bike is. I just told her to head over to the dealer, which was about a block away, and she can ask them all the questions she wants but I don't have time for her. I then rode away without giving her a chance to respond.

I would have been happy to chat about bikes with anyone, but she clearly was working some angle that I haven't figured out yet.
most of the time when people ask me about price they are thinking about getting a bike

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #6229
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly View Post
most of the time when people ask me about price they are thinking about getting a bike
Yeah, I've had that. But in this case, she started with "Where do I work?" and then immediately "How much?" This makes me think she is fishing more for my financial situation.

Not to mention I was on a GSA and she was a small girl in her early 20s with lots of jewelry and makeup on and wearing designer clothes. Very Kim Kardashian type. Not to stereotype, but not exactly the type of person who would likely be interested in this type of bike.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #6230
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 718
S. C. A. M.

Disguised as Kim Kardashian, driving a pick-up?

Totally smells fishy.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #6231
wheatfly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Nice spring day a few weeks ago on my way home I stop at the grocery store for a few things. Standing in the check out line in my 1 piece Olympia hi viz suit. Guy in front of me asks? "You riding a motorcycle today?" Yep.
"perfect day for it" indeed.

I don't know what other answer would have been logical. I'm guessing his first question was just an ice breaker but asking the obvious always puzzles me. I should have said Nope with a straight face then strung him along saying it was my favorite color or something.
wheatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #6232
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatfly View Post
Nice spring day a few weeks ago on my way home I stop at the grocery store for a few things. Standing in the check out line in my 1 piece Olympia hi viz suit. Guy in front of me asks? "You riding a motorcycle today?" Yep.
"perfect day for it" indeed.

I don't know what other answer would have been logical. I'm guessing his first question was just an ice breaker but asking the obvious always puzzles me. I should have said Nope with a straight face then strung him along saying it was my favorite color or something.
I run into that all the time too. A lot of people do use it as an ice breaker, they just dont realize quite how funny it sounds.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #6233
wheatfly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Question

Why does everyone ask you what kind of bike you ride even when they have no clue about motorcycles? I get it all the time. In a store from a stranger, co workers, at a dinner party, out to eat, on an airplane, everywhere!

I respond with "sv650" or "vstrom". Either one of these bikes has a pretty strong following so even if you don't ride them if you are into motorcycles at all I figure there should be some recognition.

Then the blank stare or sometimes inquisitive look from the initial inquiry. If it's inquisitive I give them the benefit that maybe they ride and are just into a different style of riding, Harley, dirt bike, etc.

It is usually followed with "What kind of bike is that?" My response is normally a "standard/sport standardish" or "adventureish" depending what I said originally.

More puzzled look usually followed with "I meant like Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki" Oh it's a Suzuki. "So is it like a racing bike?" mmmmmmm a lot of people race SVs but mine doesn't have fairings on it. or just "no" if talking about the vstrom.

The best I can figure is people have two images in their head. a fairing GSXR, etc. "race bike" that has passed them acting stupid on the interstate. And the "Harley" insert any large cruiser with pipes, bags, etc.

With those two types in mind they want to classify which one you are. For me I'm just an average looking guy or a little dorky or dirty depending on the situation. I'm an engineer and working on a DIY "fixer upper" house. So picturing myself in either of the two classifications they are trying to put me in is kind of comical.

Anybody else get this over and over again?

wheatfly screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 06:34 AM
wheatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #6234
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Was ending a day of riding with a friend and his wife at a viewpoint on CA 74 on Thursday. As we're gearing up to ride again I look at my odometer and mention that we'd ridden about 360 miles so far. There's an elderly guy next to me about ready to get in his car but he overhears me and comes over and asks me where we started. "Palm Desert." - which is about eight miles away. Guy gets a REALLY puzzled look on his face so I had to explain to him that we were just out riding and went for a big loop.

duck screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 06:48 AM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #6235
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Well, I'm not one of those guys who believes "pics or it didn't happen." I believe you. I really just wanted to see pics of the blonde. I'm going through a blonde phase after having sworn off brunettes for a while. I'm still open to redheads, of course.
Hasn't anyone warned you that women are color coded? Red = Danger!

Had I thought up some good line, I probably could have gotten a pic of the blonde. We chatted for a bit over lunch, but I was in a relationship at the time, so I wasn't really interested in her play. Or making one myself.

Real blondes Vs bottle blondes - not sure it's worth making a distinction in some cases. It's more of a state of mind than a hair color. And that can be good or bad, depending on your POV.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #6236
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 123
Last Sunday was the first nice sunny weekend of the season in the Netherlands. So the wife and I went for a ride. We decided on a ride alongside some rivers. Nice but the roads are not very wide. I ride a GSA, the wife rides an r1200r. At some point we end up behind an other couple. She a red Ducati monster and he on a MV Augusta. Both of them riding in full racing leathers, including knee sliders. She was an awfully bad rider, doing the corners at walking speed. He was a bit faster and rode away from her again and again and then dropped back again. So after a while I'm done with this and pass the lady and end up behind the guy. He was obviously irritated that I had passed his girl and startend waving his fist at me. He let me pass after some time and later on, on a wider stretch the pass us again at illegal speed, stil waving and making obscene gestures. After a couple of km they stop at the side of the road and turn to us as we pass, still making gestures. I thought, hey it's Sunday dude, relax. On goes our ride. After another 20 km we pass a terrace and feeling like coffee we stop and sit down for a cappuccino. Ten minutes later the couple arrives. They stop too. The guy walks up to us, on a fully packed terrace, lots of other riders in the sun, enjoying themselves, and start a rant: You are a horrible guy, you are antisocial. I have never seen a guy riding like you in my 35 years of riding. I try not to laugh in his face, thinking if I start laughing I have to perform CPR on you and I don't want that. The waitress, standing behind him winks at me and after he left says the killing fraise "So this guy was mad". At the end of the terrace I see them mounting their machines, still waiving there fists at us.
The sun was still shining...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #6237
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Between obnoxiously loud bikes, throttle blipping retards, stunting squids, dick heads tearing shit up on dirt bikes and the asshole responses some of you think are funny it's no wonder there's negative opinion of riders in the general public

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #6238
Madrox
Like a bat out of hell

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Hasn't anyone warned you that women are color coded? Red = Danger!
:
Haven't you learned anything? The more dangerous the more fun'
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #6239
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatfly View Post
I respond with "sv650" or "vstrom". Either one of these bikes has a pretty strong following so even if you don't ride them if you are into motorcycles at all I figure there should be some recognition.
I think your assumption that people are familiar with a V-Strom is incorrect. I've found that most motorcycle riders have never heard of it. Heck, even the parts guys at the Suzuki shop down the road from me ask, "V-Star? Isn't that a Yamaha?"

Most people want to know the brand of bike your ride and the size. So that's my standard answer when people ask what kind of bike I ride. "Suzuki 650."

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #6240
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I think your assumption that people are familiar with a V-Strom is incorrect. I've found that most motorcycle riders have never heard of it. Heck, even the parts guys at the Suzuki shop down the road from me ask, "V-Star? Isn't that a Yamaha?"

Most people want to know the brand of bike your ride and the size. So that's my standard answer when people ask what kind of bike I ride. "Suzuki 650."

Jamie
I rode an SV (standard) through Memphis a few years back on the way to Albuquerque, one of the favorite bikes I've had, put 20,000 miles on it, sold it to someone I know, it's still going strong.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote