User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #6346
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Girls that ride.

My friend (who happens to be a woman) told me this story. She said she pulled into a parking space at the local Hastings. She said there was a man sitting in his car right next to her with his window down. As she stopped and dismounted and put the kickstand down and took her helmet off, the man said, "Wow. That's a big bike. Is that bike yours?" She replied. "yes." He then asked, "Did you ride it here?" She replied, "Yeah." He replied, Wow. that is a nice bike."

She was on a 2013 F800gs.
 photo ma.jpg

fractalsource screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 11:03 AM
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #6347
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 366
Normally I just shrug off ignorance, or attempt to educate when someone has questions about my gear or why I wear it. Yesterday was an exception. My daughter was in the hospital and I left straight from work to meet my wife and sister (2 diff people, WV jokes aside) at the ER. When my daughter got discharged my sister took a look at my Olympia phantom one-piece and in the most irritating pretentious manner she said:

"Are you really that scared to ride your motorcycle that you feel the need to wear all that?"

My immediate response in a steady low tone was: "Yes, I'm absolutely mortified to leave the house. I'm so terrified I even had airbags installed in my car."

Damn she made me mad. My wife said she was just curious about my gear, and she had never been on a bike so she didn't understand the potential risk, etc. I could understand if she said "Why do you wear all that?" or "What is it for?" - typical cager/n00b questions.

Side note: daughter's ok, had a bit of a fainting episode, need to check with primary care doc to male sure its nothing more
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #6348
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 671
Hope your daughter's OK.

There's no hope for your sister though.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #6349
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
http://youtu.be/7Fzb6oVF5m0

Sent from my iPhone
Was going to post this in my original post but figured the whoppen stick would of come out.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I'll see if she'll let me post pics, but that's a tough question to ask on a first date (on Friday).

I imagine the conversation will go something like this:

"Say.... you're smoking hot and I was wondering if I could take your picture... no, a classy one, you can keep your clothes on... unless, okay, never mind... boobs maybe... no? okay... and then I'll post it on the internet for a bunch of inmates to gawk at... no, not real prison inmates, that's just a funny name they call themselves on this website... well, it's an asylum and the inmate name stuck... yes, I do sort of find it funny... the website is for motorcycle riders.... yes, I know I promised to stop talking about my bike an hour ago... no, this isn't really about my bike... so, anyway, about a picture.... wait, come back!!! Damn."
Tell her we all wear jackets that are generally inappropriate for the weather. Women love nothing more than story's of sweaty male bonding........

And make sure you give her a tour of JM to make sure she gets the FULL affect of the disfunctionality of most on this site.
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #6350
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
"Are you really that scared to ride your motorcycle that you feel the need to wear all that?"
Yeah, I have a friend that had made a couple of weird comments like that - not quite that direct. He told me one time that he had passed me on the street when I was waiting to turn out into traffic. He thought I was scarred sitting there.

I finally figured out that he must think I am scarred riding because I wear gear. He DOESN'T RIDE, but if he did, I'm sure he would have to take on either the pirate or squid look to feel cool. He's just kind of like that. At first it ticked me off, now I just ignore him.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #6351
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
Yeah, I have a friend that had made a couple of weird comments like that - not quite that direct. He told me one time that he had passed me on the street when I was waiting to turn out into traffic. He thought I was scarred sitting there.

I finally figured out that he must think I am scarred riding because I wear gear. He DOESN'T RIDE, but if he did, I'm sure he would have to take on either the pirate or squid look to feel cool. He's just kind of like that. At first it ticked me off, now I just ignore him.
I had a "friend" like that. Everything I had or did he had to criticize. I haven't seen him in twenty something years...........and that's too bad!
DR Donk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #6352
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,236
I have a riding co-worker that has reportedly ADV'ed more than I probably ever will.

His BMW GS is still down in some other country, he owns a Honda that's in Canada, and rides a sport bike around town here.

I constantly get criticized about how my bike is the 'wrong bike' for the wrong place, etc, etc, - yet on just about every point I disagree with him, am happier than I've been in a long time, and in the time I've worked there I've actually ridden longer and done more trips than he has.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #6353
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Tell her we all wear jackets that are generally inappropriate for the weather. Women love nothing more than story's of sweaty male bonding........

And make sure you give her a tour of JM to make sure she gets the FULL affect of the disfunctionality of most on this site.
Well, I'm hoping that we can get to co-browsing the internet for interesting websites and advrider on our second date.

First date, though, I'm gonna go traditional: dinner and a movie and then maybe watching the submarine races at the lake. Because there is not much else to do in Mountain Home, Arkansas, on a Friday night.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #6354
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Well, I'm hoping that we can get to co-browsing the internet for interesting websites and advrider on our second date.

First date, though, I'm gonna go traditional: dinner and a movie and then maybe watching the submarine races at the lake. Because there is not much else to do in Mountain Home, Arkansas, on a Friday night.
Sounds fun to me!

If not slightly out of place...
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #6355
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Shut up! I'm fully functional...
AlecMyrddyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #6356
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:

I know where the liquor store is there

I love going to Mountain Home The local Yammie shop there helped me and my dad out big time by letting us use some shop space to fix his bike when a rear drive bearing went out on his Stratoliner.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #6357
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I know where the liquor store is there

I love going to Mountain Home The local Yammie shop there helped me and my dad out big time by letting us use some shop space to fix his bike when a rear drive bearing went out on his Stratoliner.
There are several liquor stores now. Progress!!!

And I gotta say, after having lived in Memphis for a lot of years, the people are extraordinarily friendly around here. It's one of the reasons I moved back, along with low cost of living, low crime rate, and great roads.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #6358
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,329
We finally have warm weather in Michigan now, and while I ride all year round, all the fair-weather riders are out in droves now. It's a double-edged sword because cagers are starting to look for motorcycles more often so I've had fewer close calls, but man, some of these guys on their shiny new bikes with only a couple hundred miles on them are obnoxious.

I was out riding my DR350 last week and I stopped to get gas. I pulled up next to a couple of middle-aged guys on Harleys, nodded to them and started getting gas. After I filled my tank, I started up the DR and was pulling on my gloves and helmet when one of them walked over with this serious look on his face and tells me, "hey man, you really need to get your bike checked out, it sounds like it's only running on one cylinder." I thought he was joking at first, so I laughed, but then he went on to tell me about how I could be damaging my crank and my engine would blow if I kept riding it like that. I thanked him for his "advice," told him to have a nice day riding, and went on my way.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #6359
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
We finally have warm weather in Michigan now, and while I ride all year round, all the fair-weather riders are out in droves now. It's a double-edged sword because cagers are starting to look for motorcycles more often so I've had fewer close calls, but man, some of these guys on their shiny new bikes with only a couple hundred miles on them are obnoxious.

I was out riding my DR350 last week and I stopped to get gas. I pulled up next to a couple of middle-aged guys on Harleys, nodded to them and started getting gas. After I filled my tank, I started up the DR and was pulling on my gloves and helmet when one of them walked over with this serious look on his face and tells me, "hey man, you really need to get your bike checked out, it sounds like it's only running on one cylinder." I thought he was joking at first, so I laughed, but then he went on to tell me about how I could be damaging my crank and my engine would blow if I kept riding it like that. I thanked him for his "advice," told him to have a nice day riding, and went on my way.
What's it today, pick on pirate day? One post where there was someone who could actually read BMW, and another one, who couldn't count the number of exhaust pipe(s). Give these guys a break, will ya! Or just say it looks like rain, to scatter em real fast. TBP (Throttle Blipping Pirates).

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 12:43 PM
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #6360
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I've actually made that joke once or twice. I usually follow it up by claiming that I need more antifreeze, blinker fluid, and Harley's official spot marking oil, since mine doesn't leak right.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote