Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #6421
travis789
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I had a 16 year old kid come over in a mall parking lot to ask about my dual sport, licensing requirements, insurance cost, etc. But he started the conversation by saying, "Hey! I almost ran into the back of you out there on the highway!" What do you say to that?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #6422
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Two slightly weird ones from last week. Both times I'm riding my FJR

1) Guy in a white mini-van stops beside me at a red light, rolls down his window "How much does that cost", I tell him and then he asks "Is that a Honda", and I answer that too, at which point the light turns green.
2) Two chicks on a scooter are ahead of me. Must be over 50cc's 'cause it's got a temp plate. They are wearing no protection: shorts, tank tops, sandals. The rider says something to the pillion who turns and asks me "where did you get that windshield?" I answered that it came with the bike - not quite true since it's an aftermarket Calsci, but not enough time for long explanations.

And last Sunday I'm in the mountains going up Russell Gulch towards Central City on the KLX250. I come upon a Ford pickup who is just completing a turn around (was getting steep, muddy and snow covered the way he was heading and the direction I was coming from). I follow him for a minute and am about to take the trail to the left towards Central when he yells something at me. I ask him to repeat, since I have ear plugs in. He asks if I know where the Frisbee golf course is! Seemed strange to me at the time....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #6423
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis789 View Post
I had a 16 year old kid come over in a mall parking lot to ask about my dual sport, licensing requirements, insurance cost, etc. But he started the conversation by saying, "Hey! I almost ran into the back of you out there on the highway!" What do you say to that?
"Yes, I noticed. Your driving sucks!"
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #6424
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer: 328
Never thought I would have anything worthy to add here until today.

My wife works at the mall so when I go to meet her for lunch I always park near her car so that I can use it to lock up my helmet and jacket.

Today when I went to leave my bike wouldn't start. I had inadvertently left the parking lights on and it had drained my battery. No problem, I just grabbed the cables and hooked them to my wife's car.

While I was waiting a lady walked by and asked me what I was doing. I said I was jump starting my bike. She then asked me how I was going to get it home. I said, well when the battery is charged, I'm going to start it and ride it home. She then came up with the dumbest of her dumb questions. She asked me if that was my car. I said it is my wife's car and then I asked her if she thought I had just grabbed a car at random and pried open the hood. She looked at me stupid like and then walked off.

I mean just what does it look like I'm doing.

cakmakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #6425
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post

My wife works at the mall so when I go to meet her for lunch I always park near her car so that I can use it to lock up my helmet and jacket.

Today when I went to leave my bike wouldn't start. I had inadvertently left the parking lights on and it had drained my battery. No problem, I just grabbed the cables and hooked them to my wife's car.

While I was waiting a lady walked by and asked me what I was doing. I said I was jump starting my bike. She then asked me how I was going to get it home. I said, well when the battery is charged, I'm going to start it and ride it home. She then came up with the dumbest of her dumb questions. She asked me if that was my car. I said it is my wife's car and then I asked her if she thought I had just grabbed a car at random and pried open the hood. She looked at me stupid like and then walked off.

Maybe she thought you were "hot wiring" the car?

Btw, those side cases rock. I have silver ones on my Versus.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #6426
gwbinoz
Fuelled by Tea!

Oddometer: 9
Quote:

Obviously, you have an electric bike that's run out, and are syphoning the electric car's fuel!
gwbinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #6427
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Nearly 20 years ago I lived at the back of a shop in a small strip of about 30 shops on either side of a 4 lane main road in suburban Melbourne. Access was via a driveway behind the other shops from a side street at the end of the shops.

One afternoon in heavy peak hour traffic, I was almost home when the car in front of me stalled and stayed stalled at pedestrian traffic lights outside the front of "my" shop.

I hopped off the bike and gave him a push around the corner.

He thanked me and I asked him what the problem was.

It turned out he had a flat battery, so I offered him a jump start. He looked puzzled, but said yes, so I hopped back on my bike, rode around his car, up my driveway/lane, parked and came back with my car (a Mini Moke) and some leads.

He hadn't been expecting that.

The car was about a 1980 Ford Cortina, locally built with Lucas electrics. (cue Prince of Darkness jokes now...) We had it started in a minute or two and it became apparent that the charge light wasn't going out.

It was also becoming apparent the guy was strapped for cash and in no position to pay for repairs, so I peered at the alternator to check nothing obvious was wrong and recognised it as exactly the same miserable piece of shit Lucas alternator that my Mini Moke had originally had before I replaced it with a Bosch alternator before it stranded me somewhere.

So I told him to stay put while I put my car away and came back clutching my old (working) Lucas alternator and handed it to him, while explaining to him how to replace it - two bolts and 3 wires.

He really hadn't been expecting that.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #6428
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,686
Good on ya'!

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 05-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #6429
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:

You are obviously a shady character as you ride a motorcycle (thanks wild ones and the other wannabee bad dudes), so you had to be doing something less than honest.

Bet she called 911 after she walked out of sight.
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #6430
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 719
Doodlehums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbinoz View Post
Obviously, you have an electric bike that's run out, and are syphoning the electric car's fuel!
Oh shit, that's a funny thought.

Hoodlums of the future?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #6431
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
He asks if I know where the Frisbee golf course is! Seemed strange to me at the time....
You mean it doesn't seem strange to you any more?

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #6432
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I'm stopped at a light the other day... this clown pulls up next to me and says, "Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?"

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #6433
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
"Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?"
Ha! I've got a friend who has this very thick East Tennessee accent, having been born and raised here. I was stopped at a light one day and this truck pulls up next to me and chirps the tires when he stops. I look over and my friend yells out "Pardon me, but have ya got any cheap yellow mustard?"

Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #6434
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky View Post
You mean it doesn't seem strange to you any more?
Well I found out there is supposed to be a Frisbee golf course around there "somewhere". Guy who told me that didn't know exactly where it was either. Maybe it's ethereal, like Brigadoon....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #6435
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
Well I found out there is supposed to be a Frisbee golf course around there "somewhere". Guy who told me that didn't know exactly where it was either. Maybe it's ethereal, like Brigadoon....
Well, it was outside Boulder, sooo......
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote