Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #6691
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie G View Post
I always get asked "How fast will it go?". And this was on my '05 KLR and now on my '12 DR 650. Neither bike looks fast to me. I don't know what people are thinking.
EG
I'm starting to believe this question of 'how fast' is a squid test. If we answer some number that the bike really doesn't go, then we're probably not worth talking to.

That's the best I can come up with. But then half the riders I meet down here lie about their deeds, skills or how much they actually ride anyhow.
I think it could be a different form of test, where it is the aforementioned cephalopod or other general vehicular douche administering the quiz. Thus, when answer=[bike's top speed]< [asker's vehicle top speed], then bike's inferiority is proven.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #6692
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 528
Today at the fire station. We were stood down from a search and rescue for a little boy (found alive), and were back at the station unpacking and shooting the shit.

A group of the young guys were standing around the VFR800 having a look and I got asked how fast does it go?
Me: about 250 (km/h)
them: Well why does the speedo say 280?
me: just laughs
them: how fast have you had it?
me: 210.
them: Holy shit, where was that? How did that feel?
me: it was at a drag strip, felt pretty good.
Them: Was it stable?
me: yeah, stable enough at that speed. Although it was comfortable at that speed, it was most comfortable cruising at about 170.
Them: Why would you cruise at a drag strip??
Me: No, out between Thredbo and Tumbarumba.
Them: WTF? I thought you said you said it was at a drag strip?

I realised that I had slipped up a bit. Being an older member of the brigade, I guess I'm meant to be a more mature, law abiding member. I look at the deputy captain, and he is shaking his head, but with a grin on his face.

So, I replied: Yeah, thats what I meant. At the drag strip. Then I gave them all tasks to do and said I need them done right fucking now
They all had a laugh at my slip up and got on with it.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #6693
Yamarocket630
Honey Badger

Oddometer: 468
My new favorite as of yesterday... To get the full affect try to imagine a slightly more white trash version of Kid Rock's character from Joe Dirt in a clapped out Mitsu convertible with his equally WT bitch sitting next to him...

"Give ya five doller if you let me ride it up the street and back"
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #6694
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat110 View Post
Today at the fire station. We were stood down from a search and rescue for a little boy (found alive), and were back at the station unpacking and shooting the shit.

A group of the young guys were standing around the VFR800 having a look and I got asked how fast does it go?
Me: about 250 (km/h)
them: Well why does the speedo say 280?
me: just laughs
them: how fast have you had it?
me: 210.
them: Holy shit, where was that? How did that feel?
me: it was at a drag strip, felt pretty good.
Them: Was it stable?
me: yeah, stable enough at that speed. Although it was comfortable at that speed, it was most comfortable cruising at about 170.
Them: Why would you cruise at a drag strip??
Me: No, out between Thredbo and Tumbarumba.
Them: WTF? I thought you said you said it was at a drag strip?

I realised that I had slipped up a bit. Being an older member of the brigade, I guess I'm meant to be a more mature, law abiding member. I look at the deputy captain, and he is shaking his head, but with a grin on his face.

So, I replied: Yeah, thats what I meant. At the drag strip. Then I gave them all tasks to do and said I need them done right fucking now
They all had a laugh at my slip up and got on with it.
Similar thing happened to me. Got pulled over for speeding on my zx-14 ninja. I was in full gear, stock exhaust, and had luggage with camping gear. Cop basically saw that I wasn't a dumb kid and was letting me off, then was asking about the bike, it's speed, handling, etc.

I said something like 'I've heard that it's very smooth at 180mph, but that's illegal so I'm not sure'. He knew. Pretty cool guy, he had me dead to rights going 20 over just past the biggest speed limit sign I've ever seen. This thing was probably 3'x5'.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #6695
nanox14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Got my first Stupid question

Been riding for a year now and this past weekend while I was taking a break in a little town with the other guys I was riding with, one of the older men from the pub came out to see our bike and comes to me and looks at my helmet an says " Is that one of those helmets that comes with AC ?".... I was .. mind you that it was a DS helmet with my contour camera on it. and I said " oohh no, is just a camera on a REALLY cool helmet jaja..
nanox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #6696
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
My new favorite as of yesterday... To get the full affect try to imagine a slightly more white trash version of Kid Rock's character from Joe Dirt in a clapped out Mitsu convertible with his equally WT bitch sitting next to him...

"Give ya five doller if you let me ride it up the street and back"
"I'll give ya a nickle if you let me ride yer bitch..."

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #6697
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Similar thing happened to me. Got pulled over for speeding on my zx-14 ninja. I was in full gear, stock exhaust, and had luggage with camping gear. Cop basically saw that I wasn't a dumb kid and was letting me off, then was asking about the bike, it's speed, handling, etc.

I said something like 'I've heard that it's very smooth at 180mph, but that's illegal so I'm not sure'. He knew. Pretty cool guy, he had me dead to rights going 20 over just past the biggest speed limit sign I've ever seen. This thing was probably 3'x5'.

I had a similar experience. I was on the highway with no traffic around. I was running about 130 mph as I was trying to make time. Much to my surprise, two state troopers were parked in a turn around chatting, but neither was running radar. I didn't even see them till I was going by so I went by at the full 130-ish mph. I let off the throttle and slowed to about 75mph. Of course, one of the troopers pulled out behind me and stopped me.

He asked how fast I was going. I replied, "No more than 80, sir" with a big smile. He laughed at me and said be careful and told me to ride safe. Never even asked me for drivers license or anything.

With that being said, I'm actually a police officer myself and I've found that most bikes decide its best to try to run from police so when one does stop it's refreshing and worthy of a warning unless they were really being a dumbass.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #6698
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,241
Stopped doing 79 in a 65 about two years ago. I might have been doing more than that.

After running everything, I get let off with a warning and the officer said "I didn't think a dirt bike could go that fast."
Old 07-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #6699
ChaoSS402
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

The correct response is "Well, I had it going 180 down at ButtonWillow (replace with whatever your local track is) and thought it was pretty smooth".....

Nothing illegal about hauling ass if you're not on the road.
ChaoSS402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #6700
Yamarocket630
Honey Badger

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
"I'll give ya a nickle if you let me ride yer bitch..."

Not if he paid ME... Lets just say she was the poster child for not doing meth.
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #6701
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
"Is that street legal?" Normally this is asked in town at a gas station , maybe I need a bigger bike .Nah
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #6702
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Loud Pipes when off?

I'm gearing up after gassing up yesterday afternoon. Bike is off.

Guy pulling up behind me keeps creeping closer and closer while I'm adjusting my helmet strap and gloves and go to get on when he rolls the window down and shouts, "Damn you're gonna get rear-ended if you don't make more noise - I can't even hear your pipes!"

I hold up the key and shouted back, "Um... its OFF"

No reply - just window rolls back up.
Patch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #6703
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
"Is that thing even street legal?"

Me: ::Looks towards the rear of his motorcycle @ his license plate and shrugs::
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #6704
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

"Damn you're gonna get rear-ended if you don't make more noise - I can't even hear your pipes!"

I hold up the key and shouted back, "Um... its OFF"

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #6705
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Loud pipes may or may not save lives, but fuck...getting rear ended? Are we driving by sonar now?
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote