AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #7172
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancey View Post
I worry about your health, way too much salt in your diet
I was thinking the fruit is the only non-processed food on that table.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #7173
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerMacGreed View Post
it's a Goldwing, more like colostomy bags...

it's the Harley fags in their assless chaps and get back whips that're into nut sacs
No the nut sacs sit on the chins of the GS riders...
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #7174
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
So I finally had it happen today: Walking out of the mall, in full gear with my helmet on... some dude says "are you riding a motorcycle?"

I point like 5' to his right where the bike's parked.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #7175
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,038
I am getting really sick of German men asking me if I really do work on my bikes myself. Somehow this is actually more offensive than American guys asking me if I help my husband do the work.

I was pushing the F out of the garage saturday morning, all geared up, clearly going somewhere, and this dude with a HUGE dog stops to tell me how he sees me working and wondered if I was really doing work or just cleaning the bikes or something and on and on. Then his dog goes into the garage and I have to shoo it out because who knows what is on the floor and the CBR is kind of teetering on a rear stand. What really pissed me off was that he used the verb "basteln". It means just sticking stuff together half-assedly. Professional mechanics use it as a slur.

I kind of glared and said that yes, I work on the bikes (schrauben!), but right now, I needed him to get his damned dog out of the way because I was about to go for a ride on one of them.

Drives me crazy!!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #7176
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
I am getting really sick of German men asking me if I really do work on my bikes myself. Somehow this is actually more offensive than American guys asking me if I help my husband do the work.

I was pushing the F out of the garage saturday morning, all geared up, clearly going somewhere, and this dude with a HUGE dog stops to tell me how he sees me working and wondered if I was really doing work or just cleaning the bikes or something and on and on. Then his dog goes into the garage and I have to shoo it out because who knows what is on the floor and the CBR is kind of teetering on a rear stand. What really pissed me off was that he used the verb "basteln". It means just sticking stuff together half-assedly. Professional mechanics use it as a slur.

I kind of glared and said that yes, I work on the bikes (schrauben!), but right now, I needed him to get his damned dog out of the way because I was about to go for a ride on one of them.

Drives me crazy!!!!
I have a friend who would sympathize with you.

She said she gets the same crap from guys when shes seen near her Harley or her pickup. The truck is a lifted diesel 4x4. What those guys don't realize though is that shes a heavy equipment operator (we became friends in our apprenticeship classes), has a commercial drivers license, races dirt bikes and does all her own work on her vehicles. When she worked for my dads company she also helped me and our other mechanic at times servicing the equipment.

What kills it for her is shes hot, about 5'2" and weighs probably 110lbs soaking wet. Hell she was even working for my dad when she was pregnant. She worked until her doctor gave her strict orders to stay home. We had to install an extra step on her machine because she couldn't lift her leg high enough her belly was so big.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #7177
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,387
Thank you for the German lesson. I call crappy mechanic a hack. Now it will be basteln.
I am 1/2 German and a mechanic.
David
Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #7178
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post

Drives me crazy!!!!
My wife had the same problem in Germany. We were there before she started riding, but she did all the work on her car. German guys frequently made comments like the ones you have described.

I recall one time where she actually took her car to a shop for a quick oil change. She had planned on doing her brakes in the coming weeks, but really needed a quick oil change and didn't have time to deal with the hassle of disposing of the old oil. When she picked her car up, the mechanic told her she would need brakes soon, and that he could schedule her an appointment. When she said that she would do it herself, he went on a tirade about how she wasn't qualified to change her own brakes. She was pissed, but paid and went to leave.

She got in her car, cranked it up, and immediately noticed a lack of oil pressure. She shut it off, opened the hood, and saw the oil filter compartment open. She kindly walked back in, grabbed the mechanic, and said "Would you like to explain to me how you are qualified to change brakes when you can't even change oil?"

Needless to say, she never messed with a German mechanic again.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #7179
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
[...] When she said that she would do it herself, he went on a tirade about how she wasn't qualified to change her own brakes. [...]
I'm sorry to hear that. But I wouldn't expect any diffrent from a german mechanic.

Germans, in general, are too fucking dumb to do any of their maintenance themselves.
Therefor every mechanic says not to mess with the own car/motorcycle/lawnmower/mixer.....

Most of my neighbors are not even capable of changig their own tires - how should they do an oilchange, let alone repair the brakes? To do any work on a enginepowered vehicle you have to be some kind of wizard..... at least that's what regular-uncle-joe thinks....

Don't think about it. Be proud you are not as incompetend as your opponent and move on!

greetings,
Matti
DasMatti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #7180
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Thank you for the German lesson. I call crappy mechanic a hack. Now it will be basteln.
I am 1/2 German and a mechanic.
David
"Bastler" would be the proper form. A chick screwing things up would be a "Bastlerin". A proper mechanic is a Schrauber (literally a screwer, which cracks me up to no end) or Schrauberin.

Yeah, I have about zero trust in German mechanics. They are the ones who cost me an engine for my F. Which is slowly turning out to be a pretty complex failure, but shit, can you people not read a compression gauge? 3 bar does not good combustion make, even if it is only when it is cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMatti View Post
To do any work on a enginepowered vehicle you have to be some kind of wizard.....
No, you need about 40 certificates hanging on the wall saying you can do it! :joking:
Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #7181
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,579
This page has been very educational.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #7182
Quadrajet
Lofter of Jive

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMatti View Post
To do any work on a enginepowered vehicle you have to be some kind of wizard..... at least that's what regular-uncle-joe thinks....
This was how I was raised. It wasn't until I was in my 30's that I actually started trying to learn how to fix things. I sold my '94 Explorer, then bought a '75 Caprice Classic and made it my daily driver. My parents almost had a heart attacks when whenever I would talk about bleeding the brakes, replacing the power steering or water pumps. They really freaked out when they learned I had replaced my radiator lol.

I don't blame them one bit though. I have a feeling that my Dad probably tried a DIY project in his younger days and royally fucked it up. That's about the only reason I can see for actually having a fear of DIY.

I couldn't help but think about my Dad while reading the first part of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
Quadrajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #7183
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrajet View Post
This was how I was raised. It wasn't until I was in my 30's that I actually started trying to learn how to fix things. I sold my '94 Explorer, then bought a '75 Caprice Classic and made it my daily driver. My parents almost had a heart attacks when whenever I would talk about bleeding the brakes, replacing the power steering or water pumps. They really freaked out when they learned I had replaced my radiator lol.

I don't blame them one bit though. I have a feeling that my Dad probably tried a DIY project in his younger days and royally fucked it up. That's about the only reason I can see for actually having a fear of DIY.

I couldn't help but think about my Dad while reading the first part of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
Pretty much the same life, except - despite not knowing it, my parent's divorce and my subsequent exposure to my step-dad was a stroke of luck in as far as learning how to work on things.

My first OMG WTF MAJOR job was ... replacing an alternator on some GM car I was driving when my step-dad told me to swap it with some junk car we had on the parent's used car lot.

I know it was simple (now), but at the time it made me feel like I had accomplished somethng.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #7184
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Pretty much the same life, except - despite not knowing it, my parent's divorce and my subsequent exposure to my step-dad was a stroke of luck in as far as learning how to work on things.

My first OMG WTF MAJOR job was ... replacing an alternator on some GM car I was driving when my step-dad told me to swap it with some junk car we had on the parent's used car lot.

I know it was simple (now), but at the time it made me feel like I had accomplished somethng.
Nothing wrong with that. Should have seen how proud I was the first time I changed oil all by myself. LOL!! Course then again I had a dad who was a mechanic so I had the basics down but that was the first time Id done it without any supervision.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #7185
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,067
I was just pulling on my helmet next to my V-Strom outside Wally Worldwhen a car pulled up two spots over and a lady in the back yelled "I RIDE A HARLEY!!!!".

Um. OK. Thanks for the information, I guess.

At the time I was a little pissed because the store was out of ATF (yeah, really), so I couldn't compose a reply other than "Uh, OK. Good for you!"
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is online now   Reply With Quote