Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #7411
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
You could always mind your own damned business.
I will frequently stop and check on a bike I see on the shoulder. If this is a problem for you, then I'm not quite sure what to say. I would hope others would do the same if it were me on the shoulder... "Everything ok?" doesn't take much effort and shows good camaraderie.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #7412
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I will frequently stop and check on a bike I see on the shoulder. If this is a problem for you, then I'm not quite sure what to say. I would hope others would do the same if it were me on the shoulder... "Everything ok?" doesn't take much effort and shows good camaraderie.
I thought that was a rule.
that's what separates
us from the rest
merry xmas
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #7413
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,420
I give a thumbs up or thumbs down signal. I usually vet a smile in return along with a thumb up.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #7414
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Now that's really cool!
Same!! The people that you meet in and around the recreation/sport of motorcycling make it even more interesting.
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #7415
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack06 View Post
Same!! The people that you meet in and around the recreation/sport of motorcycling make it even more interesting.
Agreed. On my trip last month I got to talking to this old man while I was stopped taking pictures in Eureka, Ca. His name was Claude Kerr. Really cool old guy who I ended up spending an hour and a half or so talking to, listening to his stories of being a county surveyor and his sailing travels around the world for a few years with his wife. He was 87 years old and still had the wanderlust. Was a helluva story teller. Was a pleasure to meet him.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #7416
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Agreed. On my trip last month I got to talking to this old man while I was stopped taking pictures in Eureka, Ca. His name was Claude Kerr. Really cool old guy who I ended up spending an hour and a half or so talking to, listening to his stories of being a county surveyor and his sailing travels around the world for a few years with his wife. He was 87 years old and still had the wanderlust. Was a helluva story teller. Was a pleasure to meet him.

Good deal. I chat with people but I am terrible with names. I do enjoy the time I chat with fellow riders.

Met an interesting guy in Alaska and we kept meeting up at gas stations and such through the Yukon. Guy could really pilot a big GS on the marbles they call a road while I poked along on the 800GS.
He was riding to Seattle to visit friends then down to Tierra del Fuego.
I hope his trip went well.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #7417
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Laugh Not a stupid question but...

Two days ago I was riding the GS and stopped at a music store to buy some strings. Walk in the one of the employee's was looking at my bike and said, "now that's the Cadillac of bikes!". I said,'Yeah, thanks, I just bought it last month." Turns out he rides too.

Yesterday, while riding, I was thinking of what the guy said and pulled a George Costanza, "man, I should have said, "No, its the BMW of motorcycles!".

Not 15 minutes later I stopped by a friends house. He hadn't seen the bike yet. I'll be damned if the first thing out of his mouth was..."That's the Cadillac of motorcycles!". Then I got to use my line, "No, its the BMW of motorcycles.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #7418
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Two days ago I was riding the GS and stopped at a music store to buy some strings. Walk in the one of the employee's was looking at my bike and said, "now that's the Cadillac of bikes!". I said,'Yeah, thanks, I just bought it last month." Turns out he rides too.

Yesterday, while riding, I was thinking of what the guy said and pulled a George Costanza, "man, I should have said, "No, its the BMW of motorcycles!".

Not 15 minutes later I stopped by a friends house. He hadn't seen the bike yet. I'll be damned if the first thing out of his mouth was..."That's the Cadillac of motorcycles!". Then I got to use my line, "No, its the BMW of motorcycles.
Nice!
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #7419
Wastedavid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Always the same expression!

Hi friends! I guess this is not a very "weird" question, maybe it's more an expression but in almost all the places I've been in Colombia people says: "ohhh, what a beast!! How much is it???" I say "around 20.000 USD" and people always say "oh my God, with that money I would buy a car!!"

People in many cases believe that a motorcycle is only for poor people, for fried chicken and pizza delivery and that... I always explain them the adventages, freedom sensation and that's it!!
Wastedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #7420
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Upon finding out that I ride, one of my wife's coworkers asked the dreaded "isn't that dangerous?" question... My wife just rolled her eyes, as last time this happened I got up on my little soap box and went on about this and that, why i ride blah blah blah. This time I simply replied with "it's a hell of a lot less dangerous than cocaine" now I did not think it to be a funny, witty response, but apparently my wife's coworkers did...

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #7421
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
It's cheaper than drugs to. Much more of a rush!

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #7422
wyobohunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
It's cheaper than drugs to. Much more of a rush!

You got this via Crapatalk

I call bullshit on the second point. Depends on the drug... Though I no longer partake as I'd lose my job, wife etc etc
wyobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #7423
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I ride a 2013 Tiger Explorer I get does triumph still make bikes? a lot. I say no they stop in 1975. This was their last model. They just happened to be way ahead of their time.

When its raining. You ride in the rain? Answer, yes gear needs a wash and I need a shower.

Im attgat. Do you ever get hot? I say, yes when I do I just roll down the windows.

I have Puerto Rico flag, my home island, on my jacket. I live in Colorado and the bike have CO license plate. Where are you from? I say Puerto Rico. Riding? From Puerto Rico? I say yes, getting to florida was the hard part.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 AM   #7424
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Riding? From Puerto Rico? I say yes, getting to florida was the hard part.
Excellent.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 AM   #7425
Wyocrawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
At the gas station filling up my Ulysses. Mouth breather walks up "nice bike", leans over me to look at speedo "how fast dose it go?" I tell him that it's fast enough for me. Looks the bike over again " so you like those Italian bikes huh?" This takes me a second to process, mean while this guy goes of on a rant about anything foreign that concludes with "well at least it's not a price of junk jap bike". I finish pumping my gas, flip my tank bag back over the huge Buell American motorcycles badge on both sides of the air box. Mount up and ride of shacking my head

I occasionally get the standard "why don't you ride a real bike?" comments. Oddly, from guys in pirate uniform but not on a bike. Ah the joys of living in Appalachia.