Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #7966
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
My truck has been sitting the last 3 months. And all to often, I get asked why I don't drive my truck. My response: "Riding is so much more fun!"

Similar question this past winter. I just tell them I am too lazy to scrape the frost of the windshield of the truck. (bike lives in the garage)

As long as there isn't ice on the road, I'll ride. Nice part about SC, winter's are mild
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #7967
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
A lot of non-riders just don't realize that riding in the rain isn't bad with proper gear and decent tires.
I don't know that I get any stupid questions when stopped briefly. When stopped for the night I have occasionally heard "Aren't you soaked?" or some variation on their assumption that sleeping in a tent equals getting wet. Or maybe their assumption is because I arrive on a motorcycle. I don't have a comeback or ready explanation either; people camping in RVs or trailers may have gotten wet and remain suspicious of tents.

I have had people tell me that riding in the rain is like riding on an ice rink. Not exactly a question. I'm not sure that I can convince them otherwise either.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #7968
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I don't know that I get any stupid questions when stopped briefly. When stopped for the night I have occasionally heard "Aren't you soaked?" or some variation on their assumption that sleeping in a tent equals getting wet. Or maybe their assumption is because I arrive on a motorcycle. I don't have a comeback or ready explanation either; people camping in RVs or trailers may have gotten wet and remain suspicious of tents.

I have had people tell me that riding in the rain is like riding on an ice rink. Not exactly a question. I'm not sure that I can convince them otherwise either.
Tell them that wet asphalt/pavement/concrete has approximately 80% of the traction as dry road. And since you're nowhere near 80% of the bike's capabilities....
Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #7969
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
...I have had people tell me that riding in the rain is like riding on an ice rink...
Here in DFW, they drive their cars like rain = slick-as-ice, so I imagine they'd think it'd be insane on a motorcycle.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #7970
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I wouldn't say it's a stupid question, but a guy at a gas station was amazed at how my wheel was attached to the bike. When I showed him the other side of the bike, he was then impressed that it didn't have a chain.

I've never actually dealt with anyone being "stupid". If you're unfamiliar with someone's hobby and want to strike up a conversation, you're bound to seem a bit uninformed, that's all it is.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #7971
Louis Wambsganss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
Here in DFW, they drive their cars like rain = slick-as-ice, so I imagine they'd think it'd be insane on a motorcycle.
I agree. They drive as if

Rain = Ice

Actual Ice = Liquid helium on a glass surface

Note: I'm from the north, so I get to criticize the winter driving of southerners. It's in the rules.
Louis Wambsganss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #7972
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
You see if it was snow that fell in the south, I would tolerate Carpet Baggers critism, but its ice that is usually frozen on the roads, not snow. There is skill to driving on snow because there is some traction. but for ice the only mitigation is studded tires or chains. Studs are illegal in most states and very few southerners are going to buy chains.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #7973
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
You see if it was snow that fell in the south, I would tolerate Carpet Baggers critism, but its ice that is usually frozen on the roads, not snow. There is skill to driving on snow because there is some traction. but for ice the only mitigation is studded tires or chains. Studs are illegal in most states and very few southerners are going to buy chains.
This was one of those rare times when we got several inches of actual snow on the ground but you can hear the sleet hitting the camera housing. It was fun until the 4x4s rutted it out. And to keep it on topic, yes, I did get a lot of questions out riding this night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isQ-KEcJseg

(distance + time)/shitty beer = what?
2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #7974
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyThumper View Post
I wouldn't say it's a stupid question, but a guy at a gas station was amazed at how my wheel was attached to the bike. When I showed him the other side of the bike, he was then impressed that it didn't have a chain.

I've never actually dealt with anyone being "stupid". If you're unfamiliar with someone's hobby and want to strike up a conversation, you're bound to seem a bit uninformed, that's all it is.

I got that more than a few times too with my BMWs, VFR and Futura (all single-sided swing arms) - very concerned people asking "Are you sure that's strong enough?" - because you know what whimsical carefree guys those BWM engineers are !

I always asked them: "So, how many sides are your car wheels attached on ?"
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:22 AM   #7975
wyobohunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post

Wrong friend. I grew up driving on ice and never afforded studded tires or chains until recently. Judicious application of throttle, brake and steering input. Start to maneuver early. That is all.

Though now that I can afford winter tires and chains I'll never go back, just sayin' that driving skill and good judgement can overcome ice.

wyobohunter screwed with this post 05-02-2014 at 06:30 AM
wyobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #7976
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Guy at the gym starts telling me about numerous people he "knows" who have died or been injured riding. We start talking about accident stats and I tell him that I like to take training courses, wear gear, etc and that a good portion of riders who die are inexperienced, under the influence and are not wearing helmets so if I don't do those things I'm better off.

He proceeds to tell me that he knew of this girl who actually died from wearing her helmet! Apparently she got lodged underneath a truck head-first and the helmet crushed her skull and the paramedics couldn't pull her out...
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #7977
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Guy at the gym starts telling me about numerous people he "knows" who have died or been injured riding. We start talking about accident stats and I tell him that I like to take training courses, wear gear, etc and that a good portion of riders who die are inexperienced, under the influence and are not wearing helmets so if I don't do those things I'm better off.

He proceeds to tell me that he knew of this girl who actually died from wearing her helmet! Apparently she got lodged underneath a truck head-first and the helmet crushed her skull and the paramedics couldn't pull her out...
I have heard that same story more than once from more than one person, leads me to believe that either this girl had a LOT of friends all over the country, or this is an urban myth... I am leaning towards the latter...

I have also heard a couple of other stories about how somebody's helmet killed them, usually from a rider not wearing a helmet.

Strangely they don't want to hear about all of the helmetless riders who died bouncing their skull off the pavement..
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #7978
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I have heard that same story more than once from more than one person, leads me to believe that either this girl had a LOT of friends all over the country, or this is an urban myth... I am leaning towards the latter...

I have also heard a couple of other stories about how somebody's helmet killed them, usually from a rider not wearing a helmet.

Strangely they don't want to hear about all of the helmetless riders who died bouncing their skull off the pavement..
It is possible to imagine a scenario in which a rider would have survived if he/she hadn't been wearing a helmet. Maybe a case where a rider comes off and the additional bulk of the helmet results in a neck injury? Maybe from hitting an object that, had the rider been helmetless, he/she would have just barely missed?

That said, of course, it's far easier to come up with much more likely scenarios where the helmet will provide protection. It's kind of like the argument against seatbelts. Maybe there is a one in a million chance that you could get into a crash where not wearing a seatbelt (or helmet in our case) would have been better, but for those other 999,999 crashes, I'd rather be wearing the appropriate safety gear.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #7979
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
My neighbor rides, said he won't wear a helmet because he can't see or hear as good and he thinks it's more dangerous.

Whatever, he's 65 and has been riding since he was a kid. If he doesn't want to wear one it's his decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #7980
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post

They'll break your neck and pop both your eyes out of their sockets!

Doesn't matter to them. All they know is, "Motorsycles are dangerous and will kill ya!"

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote