User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,036
AtomicMoto - Forma Dominator Boot Review

I just ordered a set of Forma Dominators from Atomic-moto.com. They have them on sale for $199.

I’ve been looking for a new set of boots for a while. Since switching from my GS to a XR650R I now need something with more protection. I tried on a pair of Alpinestars and they didn’t fit my feet right (Just walking around in the store). Maybe they needed time to break in? But I also want a boot for ADV riding where if I have to get off and walk a bit to explore something I can. I would like to try a set of Gaerne S12's still but $$$ has kept me from trying a set. Anyways I kept looking.

After having a few people recommend the Forma’s to me I decided to give them a try. According to Atomic Moto they are just like the Hurricane 661’s. I ordered a set in blue size 44 (they were out of red in a 44 ) and had them at the house 2 days later

Initial impression of the boots…..The quality and fit is excellent. The boots are very comfortable on my feet right out of the box. They have a flexible joint in them to allow easier walking and I can walk pretty well in them even before they are broken in (They still aren’t walking shoes but pretty good for a MX boot). The build quality appears to be top notch, the buckles are metal, very robust and easily replaceable, they latch and unlatch very smooth. The inner bootie is very comfortable and I think I read where it is made of some kind of odor resistant material. After a short initial test ride I really like these boots. I’ll do some longer rides soon and see how they go. I’ve talked to several people now that own these boots and swear by them so I’m sure I’ll have good luck with them in the long run also.

Thought I would post this short review up in case someone else is looking for a top quality boot at a affordable price. (Disclaimer: I don't have any connection with Atomic Moto other than buying this set of boots, just sharing what I think is a great deal).

Overall shot of the boots

Heavy Duty Buckles.

Buckle Open

Pivot Point. Makes shifting and Walking a lot easier!

Inner Bootie.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Just got the Forma Dominator TX boots in size 44 from www.24mx.com in Stockholm, Sweden. The TX differs from the previously shown Dominator Comp (gel-sock version) by not having the inner Gel-sock.

Got an extremely good bargain price - € 178,- ( versus SRP € 310,- ) and have just had them on for a short test-walk in the living-room. It's minus 12C outside, so I'm not gonna use them outside yet. The BMW Santiago Gore-Tex boots I normally use are better at those temperatures and waterproof.

Edit: 24mx.com size table:

My objective getting these was to get the best protection available for the ankle area -and this offer was so good that it couldn't be overlooked. I normally use size 43, but went for size 44 to have room for the extra gel inner sock that comes enclosed with the above Forma Dominator Comp of the threadstarter. Even getting those socks extra will make this a bargain MX-boot.

I used the size table at 24mx.com, and was delighted to see the 44 appears to suit me better than expected. These boots are considerably stiffer, more solid and far more crashproof than the Bimmer Santiago boots, which was taken into consideration at purchase.

Initial impression of quality is very good, with excellent workmanship, good seams, excellent buckles and nice fit. While not exactly a comfortable walking boot ( still far too stiff for that, but protection comes at a price... ) the ankle flex joint does its purpose, reducing wear-in time and makes off-bike walking somewhat less constrained than some other MX-boots.

I'll be back with riding impressions later. Needless to say, I was influenced by Pal Anders Ullevalseter - who uses the Gel-sock equipped Dominator Comp version. Reckon if it's good enough for him, it'll more than suffice for me.
I was also influenced by a friend breaking his ankle while we joined a technical riding course in a sandpit in August. His DRZ400 fell over his foot, and he fractured the ankle and had a 2 month recovery with plaster afterwards.

As seen here the Dominator TX is almost similar to the Gel-sock equipped Comp:

2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 12-30-2010 at 11:15 AM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Done a few weeks riding with them now and they obviously need a good few weeks more riding before they break in and function well enough for my user profile.

Pro's:
- very durable and solid quality
- excellent workmanship
- excellent safety with solid ankle and shin protection

Con's:
- initially very stiff, needs several weeks break-in time
- ankle-flex stiffness and general boot solidness makes general feel of gear-pedal and brake-pedal very vague and unprecise. Takes some missed shifts and botched, rear-wheel lockups to tackle. Beware unsensitive rear-brake lockups.
- gear-shifts are initially a hit-and-miss excercise. Especially shifting up is a dodgy excercise.
- extremely squeaky ( you definitely cannot wear these and remain unobtrusive. You WILL turn heads... )

Most cons are easily tackled with pure quantity saddle-time and experience.
Most definitely a quality boot with high and appropriate ankle- and shin safety in place where needed. With these you can easily drop the bike on your foot without injury. Very solid and well-made.

Questions to more experienced MX and enduro users:
- Which maintenance remedies can remove the squeaking and
- which impregnation or wax products should I use to make these boots last well?
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Hi people i am about to push the trigger for new boots , long story short , did my research and decided i want something with Pivot point joint ( this is the best solution un my opinion ) to allow better movement as standard MX boots are too stiff and extremly uncomfortable for longer rides , i need decent protection and idealy goood water resistance .
I have got two finalists to choose from ( The best boots on the market in my opinion but slightly different purpose )

The forma dominator TX ( want red but noone has them )
http://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/boot..._boots_-_black

Or
Sidi Adventure Goretex
http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...ore-boots.html

The forma boots are cheaper and provide top level of protection , and they look sick ( ICE cool ) ,
The sidi are slightly softer more comfy , with better sole which allows you to walk and not to slip in mud , 100 % water proof ( goretex ) but more expensive . I prefer the looks of Forma ( former DIADORA ) but looks are not everything .

Which way would you go and why ?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
For those who already own the FORMA boots , how durable are they ?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Both, thank you

I just pulled the plug on a pair of Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex since my trusted 5-year BMW Santiago Gore-Tex started leaking last year - forcing the use of a pair of Klim Gore-Tex inner socks to keep my feet dry in the wet.

With the excellent Forma boots as primary offroad/allroad gravel/touring boots I'll use the Sidi's for all-weather commuting. The Forma's are without question the most protective of the two, but too stiff for commuting and too leaky for long-distance all weather rides. Especially at mountain passes even the Klim GT inner socks struggle to keep my feet warm - even with wool socks inside the GT layer socks. The soggy boots simply zap too much warmth on colder Norwegian mountain passes.

The Klim Gore-Tex inner socks are with me at all times as backup and last-line defense.

The Sidi's and the Forma's cannot be directly compared IMHO - since they're both purpose-designed and specialized towards different task objectives and riding styles.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 02-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #7
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
i have the forma dominators as per top this thread (even same colour blue)

find them great, they need small bit break in just get full flex but way better then my old alpine stars

i wear them as my main boot on and off road on ktm 950 adv

found them very good in the wet and only let water in when i was dunking them deep in water and even then only ever got damp not flooded and probably my fault as didnt have them done up correctly

i will be buying forma nw on

probably next boot be forma adventure for long road use and keep domiator for full offroad