Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #151
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
I am enjoying your story Gary. As others have said, if you get to going to make it to Oregon we would all love to get together. I would also like to add myself to the list of places you could stay in the Portland area.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #152
LoCat
Time it's a bitch

Oddometer: 318
Newsletter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchergary
i just received the official Ural email newsletter and who, among other notables, was showcased in their official email??? And I quote:

...Gary Lynde

An ordinary extraordinary Ural owner from Gouverneur, NY took on a journey of a lifetime on his 2007 Patrol. "No problems in about 2,900 miles so far." says Gary in his e-mail we just received from him May 4th. His report is named "Poor Man Uraling the USA" - check out why "Poor" and how much fun he's having away from the daily grind:
EDIT: Please disregard this request I googled it :)

Not to hijack the thread but how do I get on the official Ural email newsletter please? 2006 Ural Tourist (currently down for repairs but I have the parts) Thanks!

BTW I have been subscribed from the begining and am loving the report......keep it coming and best of luck on your trip.

LoCat
LoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #153
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Wednesday 5/6

Well, I made it to Lamar, Colorado and what a friendly place it is. I just got to town and made my first friend.
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #154
JerseyBlues
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Speeding Ticket?!? On a Ural???

...can't be.

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"
JerseyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #155
Mastercylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
No, not a speeding ticket, but an Impeding Traffic Ticket.
Mastercylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #156
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Speeding ticket on a Ural? Sure just point it down a hill and twist the throttle and I bet it could be done.

Come on and fill us in, is every thing good with you and the new friend? Loveing the trip and someday I will take a trip on the Retro.

I would like to know how the bike rides with the cooler up high, does it catch the wind or slow the bike down? I know winds will slow down the Retro.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #157
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wednesday 5/6 263 Miles Today 3,285 Miles Total

What a difference a day makes. I think I'll write a song about that. Wednesday morning in South Hutchinson, KS.

The sun was shining, no traffic, the trucks weren't blasting me with wind, everywhere I looked was beautiful green. This lasted about 30 minutes before the wind started, but that's a small price to pay compared with the wet day before.

This is how they water their crops, either wheat or corn. It sprays water down the tubes and the whole contraption moves on the wheels to water in an arc.

Did anyone tell you that Kansas is kinda flat? If they haven't I'm going to. The east near Missouri had rolling hills but the center and mostly to Colorado is pretty darn flat. It's amazing how far you can see. A sea of emerald green wheat meeting the horizon.

That is except for this little 1/2 mile stretch. What happened here?

I'd like to have one of these little oil wells in my back yard. Just enough oil to keep my on the road. Forever!! There were about 12 of these wells within sight at one time.

Ok, the wind was getting to me. My gas mileage sucked big time. I kept thinking with this flat land and the wind blowing so much, why don't these people put up windmills. A day late and a dollar short.

They were having a dispute near my home town about allowing windmills in the area. Some said the noise was going to be a big problem. I was very close to these windmills and the only thing I ever heard was the wind. If I closed my eyes I'd never know they were there. I love seeing alternative energy knowing the money isn't being sent to another country, but instead, using nature.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #158
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wednesday 5/6 cont'd

Riding along enjoying the scenery, the warmth the sun provided, and.....ah, what's that smell?? Holy cow, my olfactory nerve was on high alert. Holy frig that's strong. I've never seen a feed lot before. On this day I'll see more feed lots than I knew existed in the entire world.

See all those specks? Those are eating, breathing, cattle. This place was probably 4 times larger than what you see here. I saw a sign that said they had room for 11,000 cattle. I thought that was huge until I talked to a father and son in Garden City, KS who told me there is one which has room for 100,000 cattle. The father said he has 80 cattle at a different feed lot and it costs him $2.50 per day per head for about 100 days to fatten them up.

Around Garden City there was feed lot after feed lot after feed lot... This must be a huge business around Kansas. I only saw a sliver of Kansas on route 50. My pea brain can't even fathom the total acreage that's producing for out nation. Keep up the good work farmers.

I'm getting closer to Colorado and stopped to get some pics of the terrain. I stood in one spot and just took pics in every direction.

How is this for a crop?

This storage container was beside the road with BP America on the side.

Ok, all you smart people. What is produced water? I've never heard of water with these health hazards.

"Marge, have you noticed the telephone reception isn't like it used to be?" I told you the wind was blowing hard!

This is the first state sign I've taken a pic of. If they all look as good as this one I should just keep passing them by.

At the same time I looked down at the odometer and noticed I'm almost exacty 5,500 KM since I started my trip.

So I get to Lamar, CO where I decide I want to get a motel. I'm looking at signs and see one that says go over the tracks and turn right. Well, I think that's what it says. I usually get in the right lane to let the faster people by. As I'm scanning for the RR tracks and a sign for a motel I realized at the intersection that it's right turn only. The light is green so I mosy on over to my left as I'm going through the intersection. I can tell you that the combination red and blue lights does get your attention. I pull over to a stop, take my gloves and helmet off and wait. I can see him talking into a radio. Probably calling for backup after seeing this mean looking Ural rider. He explains the obvious infraction, which I agreed with saying, "yes, I realized that once I was in the intersection." He wants to see my license, registration, and proof of insurance. No problem. I gave him my license out of my wallet and take the toiletry kit out of the sidecar. I remember putting everything in the side pocket so I'd know where all the important papers were. I pull out a checkbook, passport, roadside service packet, receipt for something I can't remember and no registration and no insurance. What the frig did I do with them??? I finally looked in the back storage compartment and found them where I usually keep them. He tells me if everything checks out he will give me a warning. This is a time to reflect on whether I paid all my outstanding traffic infractions. No, I didn't have to worry about that. I've had two speeding tickets in my life and they both occured in 1984. Buy a Ural and I guarantee you'll slow down.
After about 10 minutes he hands everything back including the warning paper and his business card saying if I have any problems to give him a call. Proof!

I was tempted to ask if I could take his picture with the police car behind with it's lights on but I thought I should just take my "get out of jail" card and slink away. The officer was very nice the entire time. Of course I'm going to say that, I'm still in Lamar.

stitchergary screwed with this post 05-07-2009 at 04:48 AM
Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #159
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Ok, all you smart people. What is produced water? I've never heard of water with these health hazards.

Well in the Oil and Gas industry its the water that comes out of the ground that we inject to force the Oil up along with the gas. Once the Oil and Gas is seperated what's left over is the water. It's not fit for consumption or anything else so it is either re-injected or put into stilling ponds.

Mike

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #160
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wednesday cont'd

Well folks, after arriving in Lamar, CO I got an invite to Colorado Springs. It's about 160 miles from here so tomorrow will be the first time I actually have a destination to go to. I noticed too there is a Ural dealer there. Think if I get there early enough I'll check them out.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this report, making encouraging comments, saying you enjoy the pics, looking forward to the next installment, or anything. It's amazing how time consuming it is. I wish I were a better writer. Should have payed more attention to the english teachers years ago. At least I can type pretty fast. It amazes me that in 3 weeks this little report has been viewed 19,981 times...

End of Wednesday

stitchergary screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 08:47 PM
Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #161
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Produced Water

Thanks Mike, there were a couple of those oil pumps in the field out back. Everyone should take a Ural trip to broaden their horizons. I'm going to be a genius at the end of this trip...

Well in the Oil and Gas industry its the water that comes out of the ground that we inject to force the Oil up along with the gas. Once the Oil and Gas is seperated what's left over is the water. It's not fit for consumption or anything else so it is either re-injected or put into stilling ponds.

Mike
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #162
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Well folks, after arriving in Lamar, CO I got an invite to Colorado Springs. It's about 160 miles from here so tomorrow will be the first time I actually have a destination to go to. I noticed too there is a Ural dealer there. Think if I get there early enough I'll check them out.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this report, making encouraging comments, saying you enjoy the pics, looking forward to the next installment, or anything. It's amazing how time consuming it is. I wish I were a better writer. Should have payed more attention to the english teachers years ago. At least I can type pretty fast. It amazes me that in 3 weeks this little report has been viewed 19,981 times...

End of Wednesday
Howdy Gary,

I can relate to what your saying about keeping an up to date while on the road ride report going, it is a lot of work. When I did my trip last summer on the Ural I swear I spent as much time down loading photos and writing and posting the ride report as I did riding the rig. Your doing a great job, if you thought bucking the wind was bad wait until you start climbing the mountains, third gear and sometimes second will become your friend.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #163
gaulstat
Keep on riding

Oddometer: 350
Thanks for the great report. I am/will keep on watching your progress and your where about.

Keep the pics on coming, take care and stay safe.
gaulstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #164
LoganAZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Official Invitation

Great RR . Once you get to Colorado Springs, you are only about 775 miles to Mesa, AZ. A cold beer or two , a clean bed, great riding and an unofficial Ural gathering in your honor. We hope you can make the journey south. Keep up the great RR and ride safe. Hope to see you soon.

DVD '09 ... Done
Greer, AZ '09 ... Done
Moab '09 ... Done
USCA '09, Lake Tahoe ... Missed it.
June '10 Rocker-arm discovery ride ... done

Arizona Ural Dealer
www.logansmc.com

'07 URAL Arctic GearUp
'01 HONDA Valkyrie Tour
'09 KYMCO Grand Vista
LoganAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #165
LoganAZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCat
Not to hijack the thread but how do I get on the official Ural email newsletter please? 2006 Ural Tourist (currently down for repairs but I have the parts) Thanks! Cat
pm sent

DVD '09 ... Done
Greer, AZ '09 ... Done
Moab '09 ... Done
USCA '09, Lake Tahoe ... Missed it.
June '10 Rocker-arm discovery ride ... done

Arizona Ural Dealer
www.logansmc.com

'07 URAL Arctic GearUp
'01 HONDA Valkyrie Tour
'09 KYMCO Grand Vista
LoganAZ is offline   Reply With Quote