Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 03:24 AM   #16
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Cann't wait to read more about the trip.

Some day I plan on getting a Ural Patrol. They look to be so much fun.

How well does it handle the highway?

Sure looks like the prices have gone up on them, since the last time I checked.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-16-2009 at 03:34 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:24 AM   #17
river_rat
Perplexed

Oddometer: 663
looks like an awesome trip. I think a Ural is on my must have list in the next couple years.

btw....your tent fly looks a little slack

There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.
river_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 AM   #18
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat
btw....your tent fly looks a little slack
Next time your at a dealer see if they have any blown tubes. Cut them into rubber bands and attach them to your tent stake down points. They are free and act as shock absorbers in a stuff wind. You can also roll up your clothes with them.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #19
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,628
If you make it through the Ozark in AR gimme a call. I live about 6 miles from the MO line and would love to share the area with ya.
Have safe passage and lots of fun. I'm gonna follow along with ya.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #20
lkoncor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Awesome.
lkoncor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #21
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,949
Cool2 subscribed

Good luck on the trip. If'n you make it to the Great NorthWet and have time, we'll pour a homebrew and . You should be proficient at tent camping by then .

ttt
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #22
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
StitcherGary - More power to you! You won't regret a second of you adventure, you have 2 wheels driving you too!
Cheers.
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #23
markhas
markhas

Oddometer: 233
"How might this be a problem??"

This is not a problem it is an Adventure and your on it.

R U over 62? you can get a National Parks Senior Pass and save a ton of money on camping not to mention park entrance fees. You might even find this is a very good life style and never return... just fade away into the sunset.
markhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #24
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,256
Thumb Have a great time, I did.........................

Howdy stitchergary,

If you make it to the Great Nor-Wet and need a place to stay please contact me, if I am around and you want I can ride with you for a ways, company makes the miles go faster.

Oh, I just thought I would let you know, I deducted 10,000 ADV points from what ever your final score is for committing the sin of washing your Ural.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

Mr. Cob screwed with this post 04-16-2009 at 06:03 PM
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #25
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
First day on the road

It seems like a never ending job trying to get everything done including packing, completing things around the house, arranging for last minute requirements, like getting my taxes completed. Uh, they were supposed to be done yesterday, weren't they?? Oh well, can't worry too much about 1 day. Procrastination and I get along quite well.

First things first and this morning I opened the garage door and this is what I find. I prayed to the ADV God last night and he must have rewarded me with an authorized ADV sticker. I'm in the fold now!!!

Next thing after doing my taxes was do clean the winter grime off my car before it get a couple month rest.

It pays to do your spring cleaning. Guess what I found under the seat. A can of Tunafish. That will keep me going another day on the road.

Apparently my eyes are bigger than my stomach, or the Ural's stomach for that matter. I just couldn't fit everything in. Three times I unloaded and tried to reposition things. Finally I had enough of this frustration and started making cuts. It's packed to the gills as you can see.

At 2:00pm I was finally on the road. First stop was at my sister's house to get her new email address. No one home. Next stop was about 15 miles in another direction out of my way to say bye to a friend. He wasn't home. I'm batting .000 at this point. This led me to take a completely different route than I had planned. These are some windmills on a ridge near Lowville, NY. From the Maple Ridge web site:

The towers are 260' high - 320' to the tip of the blade, the turbine spins at 14RPM, each producing 1.6 megawatts of electricity. When finished, the output of the farm will be 324MW, enough to power 98,000 homes.

At the same time I took the pic of the windmills I took this picture of a house on the high ridge. I had noticed this place before driving by. If you look closely you can see completely through the second floor and out the back windows. One huge second floor. I think that's cool looking.

So I'm now sitting in a motel room about 24 miles into Pennsylvania for a whopping total of 204 miles today. I guess not bad since I started so late and went through all those towns and stop lights. I don't think there are any campsites open in this neck of the woods this early in the season. I can't blame them. It was getting pretty cold riding just before and after dark. It's supposed to get down to 32F here tonight. I'd like to get to Front Royal, VA tomorrow which would be the start of the Skyline Drive. We'll see how things go. I came to the realization that it takes me twice as long to do this on this laptop as it does using my regular keyboard at home. Guess I'll have to learn. 10:39pm, I'm heading to bed. Thanks for all the responses and I got a few emails too. I don't want to let you guys down and I hope to get more interesting pics in the days to come.
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #26
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Friday 4/17

I just spent an hour on this mornings update and poof, lost everything. This will be much abbreviated over the last one. Went out at 7:00am to see this on the Ural.

How cold is it?? Dang Cold I'd say. Checked out the weather page for New Medford, PA (finally figured out where I was) and found out it was 31F. Guess I won't be getting the early start I'd hoped. Weather page said it would be up to 52F by 11:00am though. Back in the motel for some breakfast. This motel is very accomodating to their potential customers as proven by their sign. They want to cater to both the near sighted people and the far sighted people by having duplicate signs in drastically different sizes. Proof!

The Blue Ridge Motel must be doing something right because I stayed here. It didn't have anything to do with the miles and miles of dark desolate road before reaching this oasis. BTW, one end of my driveway connects to US Route 11 and 204 miles later I'm staying in a motel on US Route 11.
Breakfast of Champions

I'm almost embarrased to explain my recent eating habits after seeing all those meals on other RR, Due to high blood pressure and cholesterol I made an attempt at the first of the year to eat healthier. My main food now is veggies, fruits, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and even things like hummus and tofu and soy milk. Yuk to most of you!
I haven't had one soft drink, whether regular or diet, and haven't had a meal in a fast food restaurant. Don't put any salt on anything, although the canned beans pictured above has too much salt in it. No fried food, no butter or margarine, and only a little fat free salad dressing on my salads.
So far I've lost about 17 pounds on this diet and feel good, which is the most important thing. So my apologies to everyone who thought they were going to see pics of big juicy burgers and bacon.
OK, so I got that nasty business out of the way.
I spent time last night trying to organize the packing mess I made yesterday. I moved things around so much had no idea where anything was. I still need to make improvements, but it's gaining. I have lots of time to get it perfect.

Those blue bags are waterproof and made by Seattle Sports.

I'm going to end this now before I lose everything again. Hope to hit the cold road soon...

stitchergary screwed with this post 04-17-2009 at 06:59 AM
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #27
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Santa Barbara

i got tent space in SB, CA if you make it this far........bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #28
rainebow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
awesome

my mom loves urals so i just had to check this out... we just read all your posts and got excited when you mention the Barber Musuem. we live about two hours from there and would love to meet up! we have also spent some time in the alabama state parks, and if you go to barber you have to check out the bass pro shops in leeds.... it better than any mall... and just as busy as any given walmart, an expirience not to be missed :)

keep the updates coming!
rainebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #29
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Oh HELL YES!!!

Hey wait...didn't they tell you that you can't do rides like this on a Ural???

Give 'em hell, ride safe, and have fun!

And if you happen to find your way up here to Juneau...well, you'd fecked, cuz you took a serious wrong turn!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #30
Wallybob
History Geek

Oddometer: 225
Get with me as you get closer to the Barber's thing. If I am not working then, I would love to show you around the area. Have some tools, Twinmax, and spares of stuff. Trailer too, if'n you have a problem.

Mike (Wallybob)

2006 Ural Troyka "Akula"
2012 Ural M-70 Solo "Novoi Zavotcha"
Wallybob is offline   Reply With Quote