Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #46
mx729
n00b

Oddometer: 5
subscribed...keep it coming! Ride Ride Ride.

Dave
mx729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #47
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Monday 4/20 181 Miles Today 1,055 Miles Total

I decided I wanted to get further along on my journey. Richard and Gilbert were going to stay another night. I was very tempted to stay too, but onward ho it was. This is a standard warning signs in an attempt to keep fools from backing poor decisions.

Did I mention that it was foggy in the campsite?? Richard and Gilbert said it was foggy on the road to the restaraunt for breakfast. Did I pay attention to the sign??? Do you think I'd be a fool? Sorry to disappoint you, but I took off anyways. 23 miles of fog so thick I had to look over the edge of the windshield to see the center line. 20 to 25 MPH. I'm getting nowhere fast!!! All's I could think of was a deer in the middle of the road. I never had one vehicle come up behind me. Those Virginia people are smarter than one New York foreigner. It got to the point I put the front of my modular helmet up so I could see through the fog. Then the rain started. Ouch, does that hurt on the face. Now I'm trying to tilt me head and look out of the corner of my eye. I don't remember if they covered this in the MSF course. Suddenly I looked up and there was a big blue section in the sky. It slowly got better and within about 3 miles it was completly clear. I survived!!! The sun came out, the body started warming up. Although my boots were soaked at this point. This from now out will be great. That is until it started pouring so hard I can't see and I take cover behind a big tree. My view.

So the rain subsides and I head out again. Keep innocent eyes away from the next pic. It's the horniest female I've seen in a long time.

I tried to sweet talk this one into turning around. No Dice!!

I grew up on a dairy farm and I have no idea what breed this is.

I went down the road and saw this building sitting in a cleared out meadow. No sign to indicate what it is or what significance it has. I just thought it was interesting so walked down to take some pics.

It must have something valuable inside because it's locked.

How long to make this chimney?

I'm not sure about this foundation engineering.

So I'm riding along the BRP and suddenly signs indicate the road is closed and there is a detour. Yup, it's closed!

What did I think of these change of plans??

So off I go into the countryside. Did you ever picture Virginia as the Christmas Capital??? These trees were growing on every sloped area on this road.

Further down the road a bit...

And directly across the road...

They were everywhere. There must have been 1,ooo's of them...

So I had to drive about 14 miles out of my way to buy gas and it's back to the BRP. Great, now I'm riding for about 4 miles and a bright friendly orange signs explains to me that the BRP is closed in 4 miles and there will be a detour. C'mon, why did you direct me back up here to ride 8 miles and then ride right back down again. I need to explain that it's not like just taking an exit. There may be 1,000's of feet difference in elevation so you're doing these winding roads down and back up. When I got to the closed sign it struck me whether this is a scam or not?? What Dept. of Transportation makes their signs with a handy spray can???

OK, so it's off on the side roads again, routed around, then finally back on the BRP.... I can't remember how far I rode that time and then another road closed and detour. I decided this was enough for one day and take the road down. End of Monday...
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #48
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #49
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
This is the way to ride. No Destination
The cattle breed is Scottish highlander. My grandfather had one I called "The Shaggy Bull".
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 AM   #50
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Nice piccies. Nice riding. Urals have always been more charismatic than other two wheelies.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #51
river_rat
Perplexed

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchergary

I grew up on a dairy farm and I have no idea what breed this is.

http://www.scottishhighlandcattle.com/

Scottish Highlands Cattle.....don't ask me how I know....I'm full of useless information lol

I'm enjoying the ride

There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.
river_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #52
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tuesday 4/21 274 Miles Today 1,329 Total

Hi Everyone, this is going to be a quick daily report since I'm running late. Got up Tuesday morning to update the report and no internet. You know this is a shady place when you leave the office and he reaches over and locks the door EVERY time. But, at $35 including taxes it was as cheap as the KOA. I need to get a listing of campsites. I see signs everywhere until I need one.
39 friggin degrees out. It was warmer 1,100 miles farther north at the Canadian border where I started. Donned the longjohns, which I thought were tucked away for good, and took off. AT the very first stoplight I have to stop at, the light turns green and nothing happens. Both lanes aren't moving. I can't see other than the person in the left turn lane at the front is sitting at a slight angle. The tractor trailer behind me starts blowing the horn. Finally people start going around the car in the turn lane. Suddenly the car starts moving but I look up and the left turn light is red. Shit, what is the guy doing?? Then the car turns abruptly to the right and is heading straight for the oncoming car in their turn lane. I'm sure he's going to run into the front of that car. Then the car makes a right again and is heading for the curb. I'm not sure how I didn't see the car jumping over that curb but it must have just missed it. Then the car is kind of weaving back and forth in it's lane, changes lanes and off it goes. It was 8:00am and I came to the conclusion that that driver was drunk. I think he fell asleep at the light, then woke up, and in the confusion wasn't sure where it was going. As always, all the cars pulled ahead of me and I never saw the car againl. Hope he made it home without hurting anyone. Too much excitement.

Once I came down off the parkway the most dramatic thing to me was how beautiful the flowers were and how green everything was.
Last pic from Monday

I'm getting low battery warning so hitting enter.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #53
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
I'M really enjoying this thread! i've never heard of a Ural--got to do some searches and get educated. If you are not time limited, don't forget some of the south's best riding spots. get off the BRP at pisgah national park and take 215 south to Rosman, Nc. 64 west will take you through Cashiers and Highlands and a few miles farther will be bridal veil falls, dry falls, and cullasaja falls. follow 64 to franklin and then take 28 north to 74. west on 74 through the nantahala gorge and camp on the natahala river. coming to the top of nantahala gorge on your way out, turn right on 129 and take it all the way to the DRAGON. the dragon itself is a destination for many, but the campgground there is the best! $7 a night and a huge firering with free firewood, surrounded by bikers until bedtime. restaurant on site for all the food you can't have :) lots of rusttic camping there too. take the Cherohala to Tellico plains--good camping on tthe upper reaches of the tellico river too. can't wait for your nest post! RIDE SAFE AND ENJOY!!
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #54
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tuesday cont'd

Example of the flowers.

I was riding until the first gas fill up, paid the lady and she said, "you're hands are freezing. You need to wear gloves." I explained I WAS wearing gloves. Saw a visitor center and stopped in to warm up again. I asked about the detours on the Blue Ridge Parkway. She wasn't sure but brought it up on the computer and it shows several detours and one area will be closed until the fall of '09. Apparently they got a lot of rain this spring and some areas got washed out. So, if you're planning on going up or down the BRP check out a web site in your planning. This is a public service announcement without that annoying noise.

It starts warming up, the sun comes out and things are great. Up until it starts pouring on me again. I already had the top of my rain suit on just to help keep warm, so I just kept riding. It didn't last very long. About noon the winds suddenly picked up. They had high wind warnings for North Carolina though Georgia. Guess where I rode. North Carolina to Georgia. The winds were relentless. Some times it hit me so hard it felt like I had just put the brakes on, then the gust would let up and the bike would surge ahead. Not very enjoyable riding. Riding these back roads has it's good points and it's not so good points. There are times the traffic is so sparse I'll ride mile after mile and never see a vehicle. Other times I have people lined up and I'm looking for a place to pull off to let them by. Most of the time it's OK. I crossed into South Carolina, headed west and got across the Georgia border and stopped in Monroe, Georgia. Today, Wednesday, I'm headed for Birmingham to see the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. Probably get there today and check it out first thing tomorrow morning.
Tuesday is done. Told you it was going to be short.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #55
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,900
Thumb

Nice one Gary.

Some lovely countryside you've been travelling through.

Stay warm.....

Matt.

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #56
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 846
pics

wow, this is beautiful country...........keep em coming. You remind us too appreciate the stuff we look at and take for granted every day.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #57
froden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
This report reminds me of everything I love about riding a motorcycle. Thanks!
froden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #58
rick barclay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Whoo Hoo

Man, that's one gutsy diet you have. Good luck with it. Losing weight is always a plus, especially on a motorcycle trip. Great report. Could we have
some techno details? I'm interested in your bike model, engine size and especially your average mph, since I'm heading to West Virginia and Tennessee in August. Your pictures as is usual on this forum are excellent and interesting.

I'd love seeing some pics and any camping experience info you gain from
staying in a National Park, because that's the route me and my senior citizen
Pass are going to take. Can't bring my self to fork out the dough those KOA's
charge. If you go the National Park way, I'd be interested especially in knowing how you stay clean and other hygienic tidbits.

Keep on Trikin'
rick barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #59
Wallybob
History Geek

Oddometer: 225
Just left Gary heading North on US 31 out of Fultondale, Alabama. Had a great time walking around Barber's, and then finding the non-interstate way out of the state.

Keep us informed of what is on the road!

Be safe.

2006 Ural Troyka "Akula"
2012 Ural M-70 Solo "Novoi Zavotcha"
Wallybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #60
R71
From central NH

Oddometer: 139
Great report and pic's. I just bought myself a Ural also so I have been watching for all things Ural on the site. Stay warm and safe.

Dan
R71 is offline   Reply With Quote