ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #751
JerseyBlues
Adventurer
 
JerseyBlues's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Acworth GA
Oddometer: 58
Out of curiosity Gary, could you field some of these questions:

1. On average, how many miles did you do in a day?
2. Highest mileage day?
3. Lowest mileage day?
4. How many times did you change the oil, FD oil during the trip?
5. How many tires did you go through and which ones?
6. Any mechanical issues along the way?
7. What did you wish you had with you that you didn't?
8. What was the most important thing you did have with you?
9. What were your total expenses for doing the trip (if I may ask)?

Thanks so much,
__________________
Scott
2004 Ural Patrol
Acworth GA

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"
JerseyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #752
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless
 
BeemerChef's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Living under the Stars...
Oddometer: 3,284
[QUOTE=stitchergary]Got the laptop back today and it connects to my wireless in the house...been doing the family thing too, which has been great..


Check your pm's... Mr Cob and I looked for you! He said he had talked to you or e mail about his camping dates which you knew. Too bad we did not hook up the three of us, would have been for a good photo!!!

I personaly feel that the pressure to "put out" your report finally got the best of you. It happens often... as I read about 'schedule' from your day one. The Journey should be for you... for those moments for you to enjoy and if documented, well... even better but just feel as it has been a priority for you.

Hope to see you again sometime down the road...

Be well... always.

Ara & Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #753
09Prodigy
Instigator
 
09Prodigy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Rockies 7800'
Oddometer: 733
Sorry I missed you in Wyoming Gary!
09Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #754
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stitchergary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 250
I think this is Tuesday 6/30???

Continuing east from Greybull, WY the elevation is getting higher and higher and colder and colder... I stopped to say hi but they weren't in a talkative mood.


At the pass it was downright cold!


Even at these altitudes and cold temperatures nature has a way of persevering..


Many roads have barbed wire fences that run mile after mile along the right of way...They had these fences that went mile after mile. I'd think they'd be quite expensive but maybe they used all the dead trees I saw and utilize some for this cause... they looked really nice though...


I'm wondering if these will be the last pockets of snow I'll see before the end of my ride..


I'm headed down and it's feeling better with each passing minute. I came to this interesting area. For once I don't see dead trees.


Fantastic sight seeing all this green.


I've never seen road this red before...must be made from the rocks in the area that are so red...


I'll let the experts explain the following pic




Another description for the pics that follow..






I'll just put some pics up in the general order I took them..You try to zoom in to get the detail but I think you could see for 50+ miles from this area...The contrast between the greens and reds was amazing...











Turned around and decided to take a pic of a well worn traveler...




I got on the interstate and headed east...for what seemed like forever I saw this cloud forming larger and larger on the horizon...


The only problem was I was headed a little south and the clouds didn't look as inviting...


Somehow my luck hadn't run out yet because the interstate turned a little bit north and the clouds were getting pushed south...I skirted right beside those dark clouds and only felt a few sprinkles, although the road was very wet... I must be living right...But, I did have to go throught about 25 miles of road construction where the speed limit was 60 and I'm trying to keep up with all those cars and trucks on one lane...I didn't do too bad and found a couple places to let the cars by me. I was surprised there really weren't many and feel I didn't hold anyone up too much...

I guess I was dozing off because I missed the South Dakota sign until I was right beside it...I did get this pic and the next rest stop though..


This was a mystery to me..I parked way out at the end of the parking spot to get a pic of the sign...I looked down and the yellow line had this salt like material on it...At first I thought maybe it was reflective material and bent over to feel it...it wasn't attached at all...just like sand on the line...what was amazing was there wasn't any of this sand anywhere else...How come it layed on top of the yellow line and nowhere else...I could just wipe it off so why hasn't the wind blown it all over the place??? Still a mystery to me...


I can't remember what city I was going through and thinking about getting gas...suddenly three motorcycles went flying by me with what looked like teenagers on them... No helmets and their t-shirts flapping in the wind from motorcycles going probably 100+ MPH.... I took the next exit because I didn't want to see what they'd look like after sliding down the road... Hope they made it home safe...
I finally made it to Wall, S.D. just about dark to stay at my usual Motel6. End of Tuesday??

stitchergary screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 02:56 PM
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #755
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mileater's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 379
Eh? Uhhhhh......

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchergary
Continuing east from Greybull, WY the elevation is getting higher and higher and colder and colder... I stopped to say hi but they weren't in a talkative mood.
Lost in translation??

Good to have you back Gary.

Cheers
Allan
__________________
"Enough Robert Pirsig-esque philosophizing. My bike didn’t need maintanenece and my Zen was around the next corner. Time to ride." Sly-on-2
Mileater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #756
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stitchergary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 250
Wednesday 7/1

I'm not sure why I wanted to see Wall Drug but maybe all those signs mesmorized me over those last 45 miles yesterday.


This place is huge as in over 70,000 sq.ft.. It's pretty much taken up the entire block. It took me all of about 5 seconds to ask myself why I rode down to look at this...it's the biggest collection of "stuff" that people buy to take home and collect dust. Other than maybe some food, I couldn't really see anything that I'd ever buy. I did quickly walk through about half the block in one stright line and then back out on the sidewalk. An example of marketing at it's finest.
Good luck any horse getting close enough to need this hitching post...


I did mark this on my calendar to make sure I didn't miss it...


I talked to a father and son at the motel that said I should make sure to see Badlands National Park. I looked at the brochure at a rest stop at the end of yesterday and decided I'd skip it... So back on I90 heading east. This road had been good up to this point, but now had this rippled surface to it... it vibrated the handlebars and GPS so bad my hands were getting numb and I couldn't have read the GPS if I needed to it was shaking so bad.. I'm thinking I've got to get off this road if it doesn't improve pretty soon. The north entrance to Badlands N.P. is beside
Wall, S.D.. I got down to the south entrance and decided I should at least look at part of it while I'm here. So in I go.


I'm going to just put all the "Bad" pics up...




They made this boardwalk out of that plastic wood. It was dry and was so slippery with my leather soles I was very careful for fear of falling... I couldn't believe they haven't done something before someone does fall, if they haven't already..


Did I ever mention I don't like snakes??


I kept asking this guy to back up so he'd be in focus...No, just kidding but those ladies he was with had him wave his hand so many times I think his hands felt like mine from that road...




They had markers so you could take a self guided tour..














This was a weird place. It's so different than you've ever experienced it's like you're on another planet... How this earth can be so different is amazing...







So I ride along and see a sign for a rest stop and a Lewis & Clark exhibit...This should be interesting...After stopping I get a few pics of the outside...






That's as interesting as it's going to get because I walked through the front door and the exhibit had a metal gate across the front... I'm not sure if I'd gone through a time zone or not but it wasn't open.. I think that would have been interesting...heck of a lot better than Wall Drug...

Saw this interesting car near a gas station...




I stayed at a motel6 again but I can't remember what city it was in and my credit card statement doesn't show the city either...If I remember I'll update...I go in the office and wait for two couples to check in...then it's my turn...I asked for a single non-smoking room with internet. At this time I don't realize it's my computer not working. He finally checks me all in and I ask for the internet card. He said he forgot and their aren't any cards left... He grabs the cardboard sign from the desk and tosses it over his shoulder on the floor. He just says sorry. I explained that I specifically needed a room with internet and if he doesn't have internet he needs to give me a credit and I'm going to another place...His confidence went out the window at this point because I don't think he had any idea how to do a credit... He then grabs the phone and calls the manager who will be there in less than 10 minutes...Now why wouldn't he have done that in the first place??? Here's another benefit to this place...whenever the air conditioner is working you get a shower dripping down your neck when you enter or exit your room...No extra charge for that though...


I'm trying to figure out a route and probably make the mistake of heading south to go around Chicago..July 4th weekend isn't a time I wanted to be on the road near Chicago...

stitchergary screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 03:53 PM
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #757
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stitchergary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 250
July 2 Thursday

I spend a lot of time struggling with the connection working then going so slow as to not work at all. I temporarily got a connection that wasn't even motel6. It must have been a business that opened in the morning because it wasn't there the night before...
I remember now I'm in Minnesota because of this pic of the windmills...The corn looked great in this area. Dark green and the entire field was a uniform height of about 2 feet.


I didn't take hardly any pics all day.. After coming from the amazing scenery of the west it kind of seemed humdrum. I guess the whole ride east will seem that way... Later in the day the road got so rough. I can't remember if it was in Minnesota or I'd already gone across to Wisconsin, but I'd never seen an interstate so rough. They had all that black goo they put in the cracks so you'd see the dark but never know if it was going to be a bone jarring bump or not. I'd just start relaxing and I'd hit one of those and the pain would shoot through my back... I stopped at two rest stops and tried figuring if there was a way around this...I'd hope it would improve and keep pushing ahead... Finally I ended up on a state road that was smooth as silk. Mr. Garmin got me lost by telling me the motel was 1 mile before it actually was, but I eventually found it...
In Camp Douglas, Wisconsin:


They had some nice flowers there...


End of Thursday

stitchergary screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 04:12 PM
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #758
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stitchergary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 250
Friday 7/3

I start out and the weather is warm and the sky clear. I still haven't figured how I'm going to get around Chicago. The traffic isn't too bad since I got a 7:00am start. Thought I might be able to beat some of the traffic...
I'd been seeing that the front tire had started cupping llike the last one..When I stopped at a rest stop and was amazed how much more it had worn in the last 1 1/2 days..You can see it's a criss-cross pattern. Not sure what would cause it to wear like this..Maybe it was the rippled road in Wyoming or the rough roads in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I could even see little pieces of rubber balls I could brush off...This didn't make me feel very confident riding with all those vehicles going so fast on the interstate...


This tire had about 5,700 miles on it since new. I head back out on the interstate and the only thing I can think about is that tire...I get maybe 10 miles down the road and there's been an accident in the opposite lanes....It must have just happened because there is only one police car there and I could see one driver still behind the wheel..It didn't look real serious from the damage, but there were three cars turned every which way....the 3 opposite lanes had a line of cars that looked like a parking lot for over a mile...I'm sure before that was done the line would be miles long...I met quite a few police cars and ambulances headed that way...That was enough for me...I decided I was finding a motel at the next city and calling it a day...I wanted a new tire on the front...
I found a Motel6 in Madison, WI and started on the tire...


I get the tools out and the misquotoes are almost as bad as Crater Lake...But I did get some help from brothers who happened to be staying in the motel... Dewayne did most of the helping. He wasn't waving to me, just swatting misquotoes..


And his brother who's name I forgot...sorry...


A couple good kids...After getting the tire changed and everything packed back up we went around to where I was parking the bike...they hollared up to their mother that I was the one they'd been helping...I walked down under the 2nd floor window and told her how well behaved they were and how much I enjoyed talking to them. I asked if it would be OK if I gave them ride around the motel for helping me...She seemed kind of hesitant but then said once around would be OK...So I went around back and snuck over to the adjacent parking lot to give them some turning experience and then back around to the front.. They wanted to ride more, and I would have taken them for more rides but I didn't want their mother to worry...
Then they had to take turns with the helmet on..I hope they enjoyed the experience, I know I did.....

End of Friday

stitchergary screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 04:35 PM
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #759
stitchergary OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stitchergary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 250
Saturday 7/4

The weather forecast says chance of rain today but it's beautiful out in the morning...Hope it stays this way... I pulled out of a rest stop and had to take a pic of this original silo top...


After driving by I wished I could have taken a pic of the other side...that had a jack-o-lantern on it...I'm sure they must sell pumpkins in the fall.

My good weather didn't last very long...needed gas anyways so stopped at this truck stop...


Decided to get something to eat for breakfast...Maybe it will blow over...Was a popular choice..I think there were 8 more motorcycles there by the time I decided to head out...I didn't think it looked too bad but my skills forecasting rain weren't very good...Down the road a few miles it started pouring...Every time a tractor trailer went by I had a wall of mist and water...I was concerned too about the air cleaner getting all wet...I kept pushing along until I found a rest area...




Might as well take advantage of the rest with some coffee to warm me up...


Might as well get some reading done too...Run back out to the back and grab my book...


I ended up spending about 2 hours sitting and reading and drinking my coffee. Sure beats the rain...Through the front of the big windows at the rest stop I took this pic...Happy 4th of July...thought it looked appropriate


The radar on the TV looked like the worst was over so decided to head out...Got talking to a husband who had his wife and two kids there...he mentioned that the rain was bad but at least he wasn't riding a motorcycle...I explained it's all your perspective. I was thinking, "at least it's not snowing!"

Back on the interstate and it's raining just as hard as ever... I go about 100 more miles in the rain and decide this is enough for one day... There was a motel6 way out in the boonies...the motel, a gas station, a small diner and a subway in Minonka, IL...Nothing else around but corn fields..I don't know how they happened to build this in such a remote area... No problem getting a room at 2:00pm...
Trying to dry my gloves out over the lights...


rainsuit


Squishing at every step... Harley Davidson too




So at 7:30pm this is what the back parking lot looked like...


The front

I wonder how they make any money???


I stopped at this restaurant just before getting the room...




End of Saturday
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #760
Lano
I was so much older then
 
Lano's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Panhandle of Texas
Oddometer: 41
Good to see you back

Hey Gary, Good to see you back. Hope you are all rested up. It's always fun to travel but nothing beats arriving back home for awhile. Inbetween your posts I took a little ride from Texas to Swan River, Manitoba. I saw the signs for Wall Drugs, but didn't stop. Bob
Lano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #761
Patrick46
visionary
 
Patrick46's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oregon Coastline
Oddometer: 2,716
Hiya Gary! Great to see that your trip came to a happy conclusion.
It waz great to meet you, and have a chance to spend some (short) time with you.
Sure gets FLAT heading back East....don't it??? :)

didya ever get yourself a kidney belt to wear on the way home???
__________________
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:04 AM   #762
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer
 
kitesurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: JAX, FL
Oddometer: 1,569
Gary, I have thoroughly enjoyed your trip! will you be continueing your future travels in this thread or starting a new one? I really want to see what's up in your area of the country.
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #763
ClarkA
Power sleeper and eater
 
ClarkA's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: The People's Republic of Connecticut
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchergary
I'm not sure why I wanted to see Wall Drug but maybe all those signs mesmorized me over those last 45 miles yesterday.


This place is huge as in over 70,000 sq.ft.. It's pretty much taken up the entire block. It took me all of about 5 seconds to ask myself why I rode down to look at this...it's the biggest collection of "stuff" that people buy to take home and collect dust. Other than maybe some food, I couldn't really see anything that I'd ever buy. I did quickly walk through about half the block in one stright line and then back out on the sidewalk. An example of marketing at it's finest.
Good luck any horse getting close enough to need this hitching post...


I did mark this on my calendar to make sure I didn't miss it...


I talked to a father and son at the motel that said I should make sure to see Badlands National Park. I looked at the brochure at a rest stop at the end of yesterday and decided I'd skip it... So back on I90 heading east. This road had been good up to this point, but now had this rippled surface to it... it vibrated the handlebars and GPS so bad my hands were getting numb and I couldn't have read the GPS if I needed to it was shaking so bad.. I'm thinking I've got to get off this road if it doesn't improve pretty soon. The north entrance to Badlands N.P. is beside
Wall, S.D.. I got down to the south entrance and decided I should at least look at part of it while I'm here. So in I go.


I'm going to just put all the "Bad" pics up...




They made this boardwalk out of that plastic wood. It was dry and was so slippery with my leather soles I was very careful for fear of falling... I couldn't believe they haven't done something before someone does fall, if they haven't already..


Did I ever mention I don't like snakes??


I kept asking this guy to back up so he'd be in focus...No, just kidding but those ladies he was with had him wave his hand so many times I think his hands felt like mine from that road...




They had markers so you could take a self guided tour..














This was a weird place. It's so different than you've ever experienced it's like you're on another planet... How this earth can be so different is amazing...







So I ride along and see a sign for a rest stop and a Lewis & Clark exhibit...This should be interesting...After stopping I get a few pics of the outside...






That's as interesting as it's going to get because I walked through the front door and the exhibit had a metal gate across the front... I'm not sure if I'd gone through a time zone or not but it wasn't open.. I think that would have been interesting...heck of a lot better than Wall Drug...

Saw this interesting car near a gas station...




I stayed at a motel6 again but I can't remember what city it was in and my credit card statement doesn't show the city either...If I remember I'll update...I go in the office and wait for two couples to check in...then it's my turn...I asked for a single non-smoking room with internet. At this time I don't realize it's my computer not working. He finally checks me all in and I ask for the internet card. He said he forgot and their aren't any cards left... He grabs the cardboard sign from the desk and tosses it over his shoulder on the floor. He just says sorry. I explained that I specifically needed a room with internet and if he doesn't have internet he needs to give me a credit and I'm going to another place...His confidence went out the window at this point because I don't think he had any idea how to do a credit... He then grabs the phone and calls the manager who will be there in less than 10 minutes...Now why wouldn't he have done that in the first place??? Here's another benefit to this place...whenever the air conditioner is working you get a shower dripping down your neck when you enter or exit your room...No extra charge for that though...


I'm trying to figure out a route and probably make the mistake of heading south to go around Chicago..July 4th weekend isn't a time I wanted to be on the road near Chicago...


The ferries across Lake Michigan out of Manitowoc or Milwakee WI are the perfect way to avoid the "Chicagoland "craziness of I-90/94/80 and nice interludes to rest and catch your breath.
__________________
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.


An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry.



IBA#7898
Airheads #728
BMWMOA #31997
BMWRA#15945

95 R100RT
82 R65LS
07 Gear-Up
ClarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #764
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...
 
Spicy McHaggis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Kodiak, Alaska
Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkA
The ferries across Lake Michigan out of Manitowoc or Milwakee WI are the perfect way to avoid the "Chicagoland "craziness of I-90/94/80 and nice interludes to rest and catch your breath.
Very true. The ferry from Manitowoc to Ludington is the S.S. Badger - a slower ferry. Milwaukee to Muskegon is the Lake Express - a fast ferry.
__________________
2006 DR650
Spicy McHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:00 AM   #765
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter
 
thisflatearth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Wayne, NJ
Oddometer: 935
Love this ride report, just have a favor to ask of everyone else who is following along. STOP QUOTING ENTIRE POSTS, the 300 extra pictures per page makes it less fun to follow along.

thanks
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014