User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM   #1
Longbo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Outboard motors

Last week on the way back to the boat ramp my motor threw a rod.
The dealer says an 8 year old Yamaha is not worth rebuilding and that I should get a new power head, but I would still have 2500 t0 3000 in an old motor.

I am looking at Hondas and Etech.
The Honda is 4 stroke,gets good milage, but cost more.
The Etech is two stroke but does not need to go to the dealer for tune ups, oil changes,etc.
Mercurys don't have a very good rep when used in salt water.
I fish at least once a week, year round,in salt water, and I need a 50hp.
Does anyone have an Etech and was kind of service are you getting out of it,is it decent on gas?
Longbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #2
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,444
4 stroke, period!

Yamaha is hard to beat, Honda is good as well.
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM   #3
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 455
You have my sympathy...

I know I'm on borrowed time with my 90HP Johnson 2 stroke. I've been looking for a replacement but the issue for me is the added weight of a 4 cycle 90 on my 17' Whaler. I'm stuck loving the performance of a 90HP outboard on the boat...but all the 90 HP 4 cycle replacements are just really heavy...like 60# more...right at the stern.

I guess I'll keep running with my fingers crossed until she blows!

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #4
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
You have my sympathy...

I know I'm on borrowed time with my 90HP Johnson 2 stroke. I've been looking for a replacement but the issue for me is the added weight of a 4 cycle 90 on my 17' Whaler. I'm stuck loving the performance of a 90HP outboard on the boat...but all the 90 HP 4 cycle replacements are just really heavy...like 60# more...right at the stern.
Ysbbut the 4 stroke burns much less gas than a two stroke, at 6+ lbs per gallon, so on a long trip it's pretty much a trade off (except that the motor weight hangs on the transom). Plus they are a lot quieter in my experience, which makes the ride a little nicer.
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #5
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,108
Quote:
You have my sympathy...

Why not rebuild it before it blows?

Done right, you should be able to get a good amount more life out of what you and I know to be better for our boats (lighter motors).

It hit me that they still sell new 2-strokes in other countries. ... and a few years ago I was starting to plan a way to go get one.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #6
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Why not rebuild it before it blows?

Done right, you should be able to get a good amount more life out of what you and I know to be better for our boats (lighter motors).

It hit me that they still sell new 2-strokes in other countries. ... and a few years ago I was starting to plan a way to go get one.
Not bad advice MD; two strokes are a fairly simple build!
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM   #7
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Been There, Done That

Quote:
You have my sympathy...

I was in that same place in 2008, the 1991 Evinrude on my Lund was getting tired and I was searching for a quieter, more fuel efficient choice than the carbureted, two-stroke I had lived with since new. Weight was a serious consideration as I already had two good sized batteries under the rear casting platform and I am fat enough to equal two fisherman, really did not want the splash well drains running IN when I was back there.
At that time the only 4-stroke I could find that was not heavier than my existing engine was 60 hp, quite a drop but I am glad I made the switch. I lost a lot of top end (40, very lightly loaded down to 25 with plenty of gear on board) but I spend a whole lot more time trolling than trying to fly. I chose a Mercury based on what my local dealer sold rather than because of anything specific to the engine. It has been great, very quiet and I burn far less fuel. A common trip for me is to spend two or three hours trolling with a friend and his kids, I made 7 of those trips this spring then could not quite fit 5 gallons of gas into the tank. Shortly after I repowered Suzuki came out with a 70 hp 4-stroke in the same weight class, I think that would have been just enough more power for my 1650 Renegade to have notably better performance but ......
The E-tech might be a valid choice as well but a friend had enough issues with his 'ficht' (previous incarnation) that I wasn't willing to take the gamble then, I hear good things now.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #8
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,209
My dad boughta Lund Alaskan 18 a long time ago. Went through a lot of engines. Mariner 40, evinrude 40. Then had 3 different Hondas. All were good but ended up with gas carb problems the final one threw a rod.

He got an etec and loves it. I ran it through the paces and is Def got more go than the Honda it replaced. It's also been easy to live with and maintenance he reports is much cheaper than the Honda. Lighter too

This boat runs year round in Maine chasing fish in the summer and ducks in the winter.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #9
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,723
I just purchased a Honda 20hp for an inflatable dinghy I use when gunk holing. It's quiet and very easy starting. 4 stroke is the only way to go, unless you are lifting it manually off the dink a lot. The Yamaha was a bit cheaper and has a better dealer network which would be important if I was sailing far beyond the Chesapeake, which I'm not.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #10
Matt Gent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
What kind of boat is it on?

The 4s Yamahas are ubiquitous here in South Florida for saltwater usage, hard to go wrong there. More and more commercial guys using suzuki too, which is a good sign.

The Etec does have a hole-shot advantage if that matters to you.

Anecdotal evidence here or anywhere isn't worth much, but the 4 friends of mine who have Etecs (one 30hp and three 250hp) have had good experiences.

Which model yamaha of yours blew up? I have a 90 2s, still going strong. The used market is still pretty strong (at least down here) for them, so it may be worth-while to do the new powerhead if the lower unit and trim are still good.

I'm in the market for a 25-40hp 4s for my pontoon, but the new prices are more than I want to spend on a motor to sit in the canal behind the house, and used I'm finding very few reasonably-priced options.
Matt Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #11
Longbo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gent View Post
What kind of boat is it on?

The 4s Yamahas are ubiquitous here in South Florida for saltwater usage, hard to go wrong there. More and more commercial guys using suzuki too, which is a good sign.

The Etec does have a hole-shot advantage if that matters to you.

Anecdotal evidence here or anywhere isn't worth much, but the 4 friends of mine who have Etecs (one 30hp and three 250hp) have had good experiences.

Which model yamaha of yours blew up? I have a 90 2s, still going strong. The used market is still pretty strong (at least down here) for them, so it may be worth-while to do the new powerhead if the lower unit and trim are still good.

I'm in the market for a 25-40hp 4s for my pontoon, but the new prices are more than I want to spend on a motor to sit in the canal behind the house, and used I'm finding very few reasonably-priced options.
The Yamaha is a 50,hp, on a 16 foot G3,aluminum flat bottom boat that is use for Trout and redfish fishing. I have already replaced the trim pump once and the starter once,along with the cables. I don't think I want to put anymore money into it.
I looked at a local Etech dealer and he wanted 8 grand for a 50, and I found a Yamaha on line new, in the box for 56 and change.
I have another Evinrude dealer to see that is a Mom & Pop type place that I think will beat the Big guys.
I don't know any local guys that have a newer Etech to question,most run Hondaf,Yamahas,and a few Mercurys.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #12
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
I've used Honda 25hp and etech 25hp and really prefer the etech. Better gas consumption, quieter, very nice.

Service I can't speak to, these were rental boats.
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #13
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
>"Last week on the way back to the boat ramp my motor threw a rod"

What size engine is it ?
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #14
Longbo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"Last week on the way back to the boat ramp my motor threw a rod"

What size engine is it ?
50hp Yamaha
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #15
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
I have been around the boat business one way or another since I was 15 or so (59 now). I am a certified Evinrude and Mercury tech. If I was in the market for a 50 HP outboard, I would look at the Tohatsu direct injection motor:
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohat...Outboards.html
Light weight and the owners that I have talked to really like them. Five year warranty too.

I would not recommend the E-tec. Bombardier support sucks, big time, and corrosion is a big issue.

As for the others, I think that Mercury has the best customer support, and from what I have seen and experienced Mercs are now as good or better than the others at corrosion control.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: