Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
x32792 OP
Cracker American

Oddometer: 881
Running the TAT in a 4x4 to Monticello, UT

All packed up and ready go.

The black thing in the overhead rack is my Kot Tent. Everything else pretty much fits inside including the lovely Ms Suzi who will be riding with me as far as Asheville, North Carolina.

The plan is to run the TAT from Jellico, TN to Monticello, UT. I will leave the TAT in Monticello to ride some of the scenic off road trails in southern UT and hopefully dip into AZ to see the north rim of the Grand Canyon before heading back east. In the event the high passes in CO are still closed by snow when I get there, I'll do this section of the TAT on my way back home.

The trip back east will be thru Small Town America on two lane roads with a focus on Mom & Pop Diners and Barbecue. OK, there will be some Cajun Red Beans and Rice as I travel thru Louisiana, but there will be no sucking of crawfish heads. With all due respect to my distant Cajun cousins on my mother's side, I just can't get my mind around this regional delicacy.

The TAT trailhead is just 800 miles up the road from my home in the greater Orlando, FL area, so let's roll.

Someone has rightfully brought to my attention the Planning and Preparation thread I started had turned into my Ride Report and should be reported in this section.

For anyone interested in reading about tires, camp stoves, trouble spots, "The Wonders of Technology Gone Wild" and a Back Story, please start reading here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398882

For everyone else, my Ride Report picks up here in Asheville NC on my way to Jellico.

x32792 screwed with this post 04-30-2010 at 05:19 PM Reason: title misleading and incomplete
x32792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Elderberry
just 'bout all used up...

Oddometer: 860
I'm in...

edit: and that's a sharp Wrangler....
Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Sweet!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 838
TAT; it's all good.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
x32792 OP
Cracker American

The Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderberry
I'm in...

edit: and that's a sharp Wrangler....
The Jeep is a 2001 TJ Sport with 4L six. I'm the 2nd owner. Bought it from a 77 years old man...He bought it NEW.

Went thru it from bumper to bumper; new serpentine belt, tune up, plugs, air filter, transmission maintenance, new AC fan motor and AC condenser, radiator flush + coolant recharge, new shocks, (5) 30x9.5 A/T tires on OEM steel metal rims, brakes front and rear redone. Bra and overhead frame were by the previous owner. I had no choice but to add the overhead basket.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Good luck, I look forward to your report.

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
bigequip
Ol' fart riding

Oddometer: 82
Mr Pinakin Patel

"David,

Now in Fletcher (about 12 mile from Asheville, NC) Police everywhere due to Obama being in town yesterday or today?

The very nice owner of the motel we are staying in tonight, Econlodge, is a Mr Pinakin Patel. He advises me to stay with his cousin, Jinesh Patel, at the American Best Value in Jellico.

I mentioned to the Mr Patel here in Fletcher I had stayed in a motel in AZ some years ago and oddly enough the owner there was also named Mr Patel. Big family, common name or both.
John"

On 1 of my cross country excursions, I found out that an India custom is for the Hotel/Motel owner to add Patel to his last name. Mr Pinakin Patel is Mr Pinakin and Patel means Innkeeper in India. Next time you are in a Motel 6/ Super 8 check out the owners name and you will find all of them to be Patel if they are from India.
Your trip is what I want to do with my Cherokee!
My 2 centavos

bigequip screwed with this post 04-25-2010 at 04:44 PM
bigequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,446
Following a 4x4 report will be a first for me. I'm looking forward to it.

Not that it is any of my business, and the picture may be just a "here's the load I will take" example, but as an observer I would suggest stashing that jerry can for spare fuel someplace on the outside of the vehicle.

Via edit: BTW, I agree with you on that crawfish head business. I've changed enough baby diapers to know what that stuff looks like inside a crawfish head. Just saying...
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,250
Cool! I'm in! I wish ADVrider would have an automobile section. I can't find very good ones anywhere else on the net. I think Adventure riding is a state of mind, whether on a motorcycle, bicycle, car, 4x4 etc. Look forward to seeing your adventure.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 57,132
Nice setup

If it's not a motorcycle ride report, it can't stay in the Ride Reports forum.

Moving this one to... hmm... Shiny Things..
Old 04-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
x32792 OP
Cracker American

North By North East from Macon, GA

When we reached Macon, GA, we turned NNE and traveled up the Antebellum Trail and spent the night in Milledgeville, GA.

After driving thru the rain for hours, I finally remembered the carrying case for my Kot Tent in the overhead rack is "water resistant," but not "waterproof." Fortunately, I had a small blue plastic tarp and rope with me.

Madison, GA is one of the most attractive small towns we saw while in GA.

The corner of 1st and Main in Madison, GA.

I am not sure if the town of Bishop, GA is even on the map, but it looked interesting...Like the place a lost tribe of old hippies were making their last stand. There were Antique Shops and several potters.

Country road north of Bishop, GA.

Approaching Asheville and Fletcher, NC.

The closer we got to Asheville, the more armed security we saw. There were troopers and policemen of every type. In some places near the airport, they were parked at 250 yard intervals...Obama had been or was in town.

To finish off a short milage, but long day we had Gourmet Suppers in our motel room. Purchased from a nearby Ingles grocery store, we had sandwiches, chips and white wine in a collapsable plastic, screw top thingie.

Tomorrow we visit Asheville, NC which is reported to be a spiritual vortex and cultural mecca for those with enough money to escape the frantic pace of larger cities up and down the eastern seaboard.

For the Orlando to Macon, GA portion of this Ride Report, see http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post12770145

I hope this now puts us all on the same thread.

John

x32792 screwed with this post 04-25-2010 at 06:14 PM
x32792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
MikeBike4
Hacked

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9
Cool! I'm in! I wish ADVrider would have an automobile section. I can't find very good ones anywhere else on the net. I think Adventure riding is a state of mind, whether on a motorcycle, bicycle, car, 4x4 etc. Look forward to seeing your adventure.
I'll be watching as well, I plan to ride part of the TAT on a bike this year. And I've got a Unlimited Rubicon...

Here's a hardcore 4x4 site I frequent. Expedition Portal

Looking forward to the updates along the way. Have fun!

MikeBike4 screwed with this post 04-25-2010 at 05:39 PM
MikeBike4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
x32792 OP
Cracker American

Jerry Can In Overhead Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase
Following a 4x4 report will be a first for me. I'm looking forward to it.

Not that it is any of my business, and the picture may be just a "here's the load I will take" example, but as an observer I would suggest stashing that jerry can for spare fuel someplace on the outside of the vehicle.

Via edit: BTW, I agree with you on that crawfish head business. I've changed enough baby diapers to know what that stuff looks like inside a crawfish head. Just saying...
You are correct, putting the Jerry Can in the overhead rack is a good idea. A Jerry Can full of gas inside would vent and stink up the place. It is currently empty and will stay that way until I get more remote.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,924
In for the ride.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
I'm in on this one because I've been planning on doing the TAT in my Land Rover for a couple of years. I'm thinking next year will be the time when I can go so keep us posted. You might also cross post on the expeditions in progress forum on Expedition Portal.

Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: