User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #1531
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,336
Might get enough snow on Friday to use this!

Kyosho Blizzard 27 Dec 2010 from J B on Vimeo.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #1532
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Eaxactly! I found this http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...65&productname which is what the seller used on it.

I have a Rx and battery. Plus, it's made for PFV and has a Go Pro tray on it already.

Hmmm

I'd go for it!! I'm not familiar with that RCTimer board, just been using the KK's so far. But I like the looks of it, since it has interfaces for GPS and such. That would be fun to play with once you get familiar.

What do you want to use for an FPV setup? That seems to be a whole 'nuther can of worms I haven't cracked open yet. I hear you need a HAM license to legally operate some systems (in the U.S.), although I'm sure there must be some lower power units that don't require it.

I can see why you'd want to use a low-res FPV link for navigation and aiming your camera, while still carrying a GoPro or similar to record HD video at the same time. Currently on my aerial photo/video missions, I'm shooting blind. Aiming the camera is just a guess.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #1533
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,498
Did it! I'm researching FCs now. Man, this stuff is so over my head. Can I PM or email you, Saget, about some controller questions?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #1534
Saget
Not quite a full house

Absolutely!! Don't know if I'll have any answers, but we can sure try.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #1535
DakarNick
Swabee

Got my car back together, my little 1/18th scale HPI Mini Recon. It's pretty fun. I fried the stock brushed ESC so I put in a 1/10th scale Hobbywing BL kit with a 7800kv BL motor. At the LHS track the 1/8th scale truggies were hauling ass so I had to keep out of their way.

Burned up the rear diff in the process

In other news. I ordered a KK 2.0 FC for my quad which should be arriving tomorrow. I'll install the KK and when the Crius AIOP gets here I'll play with that and see how it works. The KK is pretty straightforward, though.

Correct, Saget?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #1536
Saget
Not quite a full house

Tuning the KK2 board isn't difficult, but it IS a bit time-consuming to get it just right. Lots of trial & error.

I'd recommend following the instructions in the "PI Gain Setup" file you'll find on the HK site, under the "Files" tab for the KK2 board. Or here's a direct link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4X68736X56.pdf

You should set the Roll/Pitch I-Gain to zero before you start. Also set the Height Dampening to zero. Concentrate on tuning just the Roll/Pitch/Yaw P-Gain values first. Once you get a good steady hover by adjusting only the P-Gains, THEN start increasing the I-Gains to get smooth forward flight. Finally, add height dampening (if you want) to help smooth out your throttle inputs.

Once you have all that dialed in, you can go to the Stick Scaling menu and play with those values. Those are sort of like programming the end point adjustments on your transmitter. You can adjust how sensitive the controls are to your liking. Higher values are like having more servo throw; it makes the model more sensitive.

You'll find that there is also an "auto level" capability on the KK board. Leave it turned off until you get everything else right!! It'll just get in your way. If it's on and your quad doesn't behave right, you won't know if it's a gain setting or auto-level messing you up. Best to just eliminate it at first.

And take lots of notes as you go!! Write down every value you set, how it performed, and what props you were using. Different props make a huge difference in how it behaves, and you may want to revert back to some other setup.

Here's a good youtube video that shows what happens with different gain settings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNzqTGEl2xQ
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Old 01-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #1537
Saget
Not quite a full house

Aw shit... I forgot one important step. Make sure you do the sensor calibration first! It's in one of the menus on the KK board, and it will have instructions right on the LCD. It's very simple... it's just a matter of keeping your quad level and still for a few seconds while the controller figures out where it is. Just have to do it once.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #1538
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,336
Ready for the snow!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #1539
dirt hokie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Fiberglass over foam questions

question for RC home builders. I am in the process of making a RC ground effect boat. Using styrofoam and epoxy. I was going to cover it with fiberglass or other fabric. What is a good type/ weight of cloth to use. The model is about 1/4 scale. It will be powered by a weedeater type motor. its 5 ft. wide and will be about 5-6ft long nose to tail. I built sail boats and small speed boats with foam and fiberglass before, but i just used what ever stuff i had lying around left over from a real boat project, so i know they where pretty heavy for a rc craft. I want to keep this " boat" as light as possable but also dont want to spend to much money as its a experiment and may not work.

Another question for the plane guys, the wing area is about 1450 sqr inches. I will be using a stock 35 cc weed eater motor with a pusher prop. I think a 16" three blade will work. They seem cheap enough so i was going to try a few differnt pitch and dia. Can any body recomend a starting point for props size.

thanks
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #1540
Tilt2turn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410

I picked up my RC10GT about 12 years ago. Ran it for a bit, then decided to eliminate the pull start and use a starter box. That never really worked, and I put it away.
Well, I got it back out recently, and decided I have a defective motor in the starter box. Amazingly, the exact same box and parts for it are still available, so I will order a new motor and see how that works. I had forgotten about some of the cool mods I did to it, so it will be exciting to get it running again.

http://winginit.smugmug.com/
Tilt2turn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #1541
DakarNick
Swabee

Saget, you're the best! Quad should be here tomorrow, KK board early next week.

Can't wait! Thanks for the help!

Nice snow machines, O2TAC. I bought some floats for my E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub but of course, after I did, the weather decided to warm up and the snow melted.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #1542
Saget
Not quite a full house

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Saget, you're the best! Quad should be here tomorrow, KK board early next week.

Can't wait! Thanks for the help!

Nice snow machines, O2TAC. I bought some floats for my E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub but of course, after I did, the weather decided to warm up and the snow melted.

No problem, but don't thank me until you get it flying!!! Seriously though, I struggled with the P-Gain vs. I-Gain for a long time, not knowing which did what. The breakthrough for me was learning that you should set the I-Gains to zero first and concentrate on P-Gain to get a good hover. I'm sure there's a better explanation, but it seems that P-Gain works for hover, and I-Gain has more of an effect on forward flight.

Oh, and make sure those props are balanced.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Old 01-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #1543
Saget
Not quite a full house

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
question for RC home builders. I am in the process of making a RC ground effect boat. Using styrofoam and epoxy. I was going to cover it with fiberglass or other fabric. What is a good type/ weight of cloth to use. The model is about 1/4 scale. It will be powered by a weedeater type motor. its 5 ft. wide and will be about 5-6ft long nose to tail. I built sail boats and small speed boats with foam and fiberglass before, but i just used what ever stuff i had lying around left over from a real boat project, so i know they where pretty heavy for a rc craft. I want to keep this " boat" as light as possable but also dont want to spend to much money as its a experiment and may not work.

Another question for the plane guys, the wing area is about 1450 sqr inches. I will be using a stock 35 cc weed eater motor with a pusher prop. I think a 16" three blade will work. They seem cheap enough so i was going to try a few differnt pitch and dia. Can any body recomend a starting point for props size.

thanks

Sounds like a really cool project, but we're going to need to see some pictures to really help.

Seems like a 16" prop would be as good a place to start as any. Probably no more than 6-8" pitch or you'll just bog down the motor. And idea what RPM it runs?

And is there some special reason to go with a 3 blade prop? No reason not to, just that there are lots more sizes available with 2-bladers.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #1544
dirt hokie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
No reason for the 16in other then trying to keep the height down and scale size close, the idea is that if it works well to build a real 1 or 2seat version. I will try to put up a pic, but to get a good idea check out the "the wig page". I am building a lippsich style one. It seems most people start from a plane background and not a marine back ground. The result is craft that can't take the punishment of rough seas and have too narrow a pop orating range as far as wave height goes.
I am approching from a speed boat mind set, In that it should survive high speed wave impacts.......
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #1545
DakarNick
Swabee

Saw this on rcgroups.com. Just like the title says. I think this will be my next build after my quad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: