Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #1576
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
I haven't tried dampening yet. What software version are you running. Mine is 1.2. I hear 1.4 is much better at self-stabilization. But I need the dongle or whatever it is to flash the new version.
I'm also running version 1.2. I've also heard the stabilization is better with the newer versions. 1.5 supposedly has much better auto-level, which would be great for shooting photos. I have the USB thingy, I just haven't made the time to update it yet.

I think you might like the height dampening... Just try a value of 10 or 15 and see what you think. For mine it made the throttle a whole lot less touchy, so flying ends up smoother overall.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Saget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #1577
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,483
So what is a logical next step from an MCX. I know the MSR is highly recommended, but I don't have an indoor space large enough to deal with the higher speed of the MSR.

So if I want to go outdoors, and I would like to use a platform that will eventually allow taking video, what would you recommend?

At this point I think I want to stay with either a helicopter or a quad, again because I don't have the space for an airplane.

Suggestions appreciated.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #1578
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
So what is a logical next step from an MCX. I know the MSR is highly recommended, but I don't have an indoor space large enough to deal with the higher speed of the MSR.

So if I want to go outdoors, and I would like to use a platform that will eventually allow taking video, what would you recommend?

At this point I think I want to stay with either a helicopter or a quad, again because I don't have the space for an airplane.

Suggestions appreciated.
I have had an MSR, you do not need any bigger space indoors than you did with the MCX.

That said, I am told the Blade SR is a good step up.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #1579
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
That said, I am told the Blade SR is a good step up.
I had an SR. I wouldn't recommend it, personally. It is a decent bird but it's older technology and the new flybarless helis fly so much smoother. I'd go with a smaller fixed or collective pitch.

Now, the 120SR on the other hand is nice. Fixed pitch, better outdoors because it's larger than the mSR, mCPX, nCPX.

What about the CX2, the larger coax? I had one and they do fairly well outside. In fact, I just saw a pic of one yesterday set up for FPV.

DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #1580
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,117
I have been looking at a few HK planes lately....but a little scarred off. I tried a Pioneer and was not happy at all with that plane. I really like their Sky Raider.

Been flying my FMS stuff a lot lately as weather allows.....I might give HK one more try.

I did get a new Panther from Bannana Hobby....looks like a good plane but have not had a chance to fly it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Craigslist Score. Picked up this HK EDF Vampire today along with 6 new 4S 50C batts. Came with a AR7000 reciever installed and seperate BEC. Nice scale retracts, can't wait to try it out this weekend

Not my vid but this model gets really good reviews on the net.

Hodakaguy
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #1581
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

This morning

Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #1582
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Did a search on the thread and didn't get any hits, so suck it if its an R. Watch to the end.

I just recently picked up a 120 sr. Not sure on it yet. A bit too big for doing much indoor flying but a bit too small for much outdoor flight unless it is very calm out. At least for my limited skill set. This is the only heli I've put some time into learning on. I have an older (and larger) walkera but it has been discontinued so parts aren't as easy to get these days. I never really got into it because it always broke something while crashi err attempting to fly. I've ran this 120 into things at full tilt with only a broken blade and a flybar so far.
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L

gots_a_sol screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 01:57 PM
gots_a_sol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #1583
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
I'm looking to get into LiPo's. So far I've learned about "C" ratings and all the stuff about balancing cells, not over charging, not undercharging and more importantly not catching fire. Now a lot of the info out there on forums is several years old. Are LiPo's still that volatile? Do you really need to watch them 24/7 and keep them in a bunker? I don't plan on using them a lot. Maybe just during the summer months. How often will I need to check them if I store them? Seems to be a relatively small window between 4.2v and 3.5v that you have to keep them in. Anything else I should know?

I'm planning on getting a CellPro Multi4 charger and some HobbyKing LiPo nano-tech's.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #1584
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I'm looking to get into LiPo's. So far I've learned about "C" ratings and all the stuff about balancing cells, not over charging, not undercharging and more importantly not catching fire. Now a lot of the info out there on forums is several years old. Are LiPo's still that volatile? Do you really need to watch them 24/7 and keep them in a bunker? I don't plan on using them a lot. Maybe just during the summer months. How often will I need to check them if I store them? Seems to be a relatively small window between 4.2v and 3.5v that you have to keep them in. Anything else I should know?

I'm planning on getting a CellPro Multi4 charger and some HobbyKing LiPo nano-tech's.
I would. Only because while chargers and such have come a long ways, the batteries are still only wrapped in foil. I had a few single cells puff up and while they didn't explode they sure stunk like hell.

I don't watch my batteries unless I'm charging them.

Oh, and don't go to 3.5V! 3.7V is the single cell voltage. I hardly ever store my batteries at storage voltage because I am constantly using them. If I know I won't be using them for a week or longer I'll store charge them.

Feel free to ask more questions. I bought the Thunder AC6 charger from Hobbypartz.com. They're pretty cheap and reliable.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #1585
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:

I have been strictly LiPo for some time now. They are actually pretty safe provided you treat them right. Think about , LiPo batteries are all over the place; cell phones, lap tops, cameras...

The biggest difference, and where the problems start, with hobby batteries is with the chargers and ESCs. For the above items, the charge rate is very low and the programming in the device prevents over-discharging and over charging. The flexibility of our ESC's and hobby chargers, while nice to have, is where we can get into trouble because we can run them without voltage cutoff or charge them way to fast if we are not careful.

I keep mine in one of these - http://www.walmart.com/ip/SentrySafe...-1200/21783247 - in the bottom drawer of my tool box. I charge them in LiPo sacks.

Low voltage cutoff is a subject of much debate. I have friends that swear by 3.7V. I go with 3.4V on my aircraft ESCs and will go 3.0V/3.1V on the car packs. This is from the Maxamps LiPo care page -- Do not charge above 4.2V per cell, over discharge under 3V per cell. --. I figure they know a little about LiPo batteries and you know that 3.0V has to factor in a safety buffer that their lawyers would demand.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #1586
Tilt2turn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:

Suggestions appreciated.

Check this site for info on aerial photography and video.

http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

They have a lot of good information on all things heli.

http://winginit.smugmug.com/
Tilt2turn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #1587
Tilt2turn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
I have the RC10GT running again! I ran two tanks through it before finding out I didn't lock-tite the spur gear screws. Easy fix. It's such a blast and the O.S. engine fired right up after sitting for so long. I have some dirt wheels for it when the snow melts.

http://winginit.smugmug.com/
Tilt2turn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #1588
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt2turn View Post
Check this site for info on aerial photography and video.

http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

They have a lot of good information on all things heli.
thanks all for the suggestions. will continue to research.

Nick, what kind of quad are you flying?
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #1589
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,117
Quote:

I have been flying electric only for over 15 years....started with nicad's in a GWS tiger moth...bought one the day they hit the hobby shop....I have built my own lipo packs using batteries from everything...bar code scanners, cell phones....all that stuff, back in the day lipos just did not exist like they do now.....I have personally seen them puff, explode during charge, be puffed after sitting, and after a puncture go up in a ball of flame after a crash.

The batteries are in EVERYTHING that runs on a battery, your phone, laptop, drill.....the big difference is how they are charged (what rate) and how deep they are discharged. When you charge don't hit them hard and don't discharge them too much and you will be fine.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #1590
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Nick, what kind of quad are you flying?
Hey, how is Europe treating you? Do you miss Colorado?

I am flying a Hover Things FPV quad. It is used. I bought it off a forum member on rcgroups.com but you can buy the frame kits at www.hoverthings.com.

I'm running:

Hoverthings FPV frame
Sunnysky X2212-980 motors with Gem Fan 10x4.5 props
Hi Model 30 amp Simonk-flashed ESCs
Spektrum AR8000 receiver
KK 2.0 with V1.2 software Flight Controller
Go Pro Hero 2
Park Zone 2200mAh battery and two Black Label 2600mAh batteries
Spektrum DX7S radio

DakarNick screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 06:11 AM

Display Modes Rate This Thread